Cool Laboratory Liquid Pro cut my temps in HALF!

I had been having trouble for a while with my 4770K getting hot, nothing immediately damaging to the CPU, but too hot for normal use encoding video.

My temps were always idling around 35-40C, and under full load, I was topping out around 89-90C. I even delidded my CPU, but this didn't really help much, even after trying a couple different thermal compounds under the IHS, but to negligible temp differences.

I saw Linus do a video on Cool Laboratory: Liquid Ultra, and thought about giving it a try. After getting it from Amazon (~$14 for the Liquid Pro at the time), I applied it directly to the CPU die under the IHS, and then between the IHS and waterblock (EK Supremacy, 3x140 thick rad). I crossed my fingers that my CPU wouldn't fry from any inadvertent metal contact, and booted my system.

Holy BALLS! My temps while idle are 20-25C, and under load are not passing 50C! It works so well that I have bumped my OC to 4.3GHz, stable. I plan to see just what I can squeeze out of it before having to adjust voltage.

If anyone knows details about changing voltage, and best practices when doing so, please let me know. And if you have any questions, ask me and I will try to keep up on this thread to reply.

I find that stuff sketchy, one little drip onto the motherboard and...well yeah. 

I find that the indego extreme is a far safer option, as the liquid tim remains in the container, avoiding going everywhere. 

But if anyone is inspired by this, be fecking careful! Tiny amount

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I find that stuff sketchy, one little drip onto the motherboard and...well yeah. 

I find that the indego extreme is a far safer option, as the liquid tim remains in the container, avoiding going everywhere. 

But if anyone is inspired by this, be fecking careful! Tiny amount

Hence you apply it to the CPU under the IHS uninstalled so you do not get it on the motherboard.  I have done it and it is very easy.  Used the vice method to delid my CPU, apply Coolaboratory Pro to the die, install CPU, install IHS, latch down, and you are done.  Temps dropped an average of 20c.  Best thing I have done to modify my CPU.

I have a potato!

May I ask if you researched how to apply thermal paste before you tried this option? I know liquid ultra has a different application method and if delidding doesnt change your temperatures you were clearly doing something wrong with your application of standard thermal compound. That being said you would assume someone with a custom water cooling loop would be able to properly apply thermal compound on a computer, or the person who did the loop the first time would have...

TBH I think this is more an advertising shitpost than anything else... (forgive me if I'm wrong but thats how this comes across to me)

EDIT: Funnily enough, that stuff doesnt seem to be making much of a difference, its 23C in my room, idle temps are 27 on the coldest core and 31 on the hottest, running load I go up to 55C, and I'm using $2 thermal compound with a 140mm AIO on a lidded 4770k @4.4GHz and 1.35v right now...

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

kwljunky makes a good point. You only need a drop of this stuff, then you actually spread it across the CPU before applying your heatsink/waterblock. And don't use it if your block is aluminum, since whatever is used in the compound to keep it liquid WILL eat your aluminum.

Hence you apply it to the CPU under the IHS uninstalled so you do not get it on the motherboard.  I have done it and it is very easy.  Used the vice method to delid my CPU, apply Coolaboratory Pro to the die, install CPU, install IHS, latch down, and you are done.  Temps dropped an average of 20c.  Best thing I have done to modify my CPU.

Still, anyone inspired by this, just be careful! 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

May I ask if you researched how to apply thermal paste before you tried this option? I know liquid ultra has a different application method and if delidding doesnt change your temperatures you were clearly doing something wrong with your application of standard thermal compound. That being said you would assume someone with a custom water cooling loop would be able to properly apply thermal compound on a computer, or the person who did the loop the first time would have...

TBH I think this is more an advertising shitpost than anything else... (forgive me if I'm wrong but thats how this comes across to me)

Yes, I researched how to properly apply the compound.

No, I don't think that I was dong anything incorrectly with the previous thermal compound applications.

I put the loop together myself, and was stumped as to why my temps were still so poor, which is what led me to try this product.

And, I don't see how sharing my positive experience with you guys is advertising shit-posting. At least it can't be considered as such any more than anyone else posting about Arctic Silver or something similar.

Can you confirm that mayo works? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Still, anyone inspired by this, just be careful! 

Agreed, you already take a severe chance of cracking your die delidding your CPU and you VOID your warranty.

I have a potato!

It's beyond void, it's gone at-least past 7 space-time dimensions. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

No, I don't think that I was dong anything incorrectly with the previous thermal compound applications.

I put the loop together myself, and was stumped as to why my temps were still so poor, which is what led me to try this product.

And, I don't see how sharing my positive experience with you guys is advertising shit-posting. At least it can't be considered as such any more than anyone else posting about Arctic Silver or something similar.

There are numerous youtube videos/web pages showing the differences in temps that show thermal compounds being used directly on the die.  For the people that want to know more, Google is your friend.

I have a potato!

Is your pump running? because those temperatures are absolutely rubbish, read my edit...

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Is your pump running? because those temperatures are absolutely rubbish, read my edit...

... Yes, yes my pump is running. And yes, my temps WERE rubbish, hence me making this thread to share that my temps dropped tremendously since using Liquid Pro.

... Yes, yes my pump is running. And yes, my temps WERE rubbish, hence me making this thread to share that my temps dropped tremendously since using Liquid Pro.

Worked for me also.  I have heard of people using Coolaboratory Pro between the IHS and the CPU cooler block.  This has shown to have very little improvement  compared to other thermal compounds.  It shines when Coolaboratory is applied between the IHS and die

I have a potato!

Isn't the IHS made out of aluminium ? Pretty sure you're not supposed to use that with aluminium.

Isn't the IHS made out of aluminium ? Pretty sure you're not supposed to use that with aluminium.

The IHS is nickel-plated copper. I actually thought about lapping the IHS to make it as smooth as possible for that extra couple degree drop, but didn't feel like a carpel tunnel inducing afternoon rubbing the IHS across sandpaper.