Overall firewall configuring

Digital

I was wondering if you guys know any good places to look for kind of "101 guides" for firewall configuring. I have a Juniper SSG5 firewall but as I don't know really _that_ much zone based firewalls and how exactly they are configured, there is no use for it.

Basically I need basic guidance with configuring firewalls with netbased (Netscreen) OS. Does anyone possibly know any good places to look for guides? :P

• 2 months later...

you can also check out the Juniper Knowledge Base at kb.juniper.net. they've got some good stuff there.

this is also a good article, though it is from a different company (Palo Alto Networks)

Security Policy Fundamentals

I hope this helps!

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Usually those firewalls come with a basic guide. Fortinet/fortigate call them cook books, if juniper doesn't have something similar go to the foritnet site and get one from them. They all compete with each other so feature wise are pretty much the same, just where the place them in their respective configuration interfaces is different.

The fundamentals of firewalls and rule placement is the same for enterprise hardware firewalls and linux iptables etc so no need to be too picky about what you read as long it is quality material.