can someone explain this to me

a.j

why when the ac adapter is plugged in to my laptop (charging the battery ) i get full performance i get high fps........etc but when i unplug it performance goes down and my fps stays at 20 my question is can i keep my laptop plugged in to the adapter while gaming ?!

why when the ac adapter is plugged in to my laptop (charging the battery ) i get full performance i get high fps........etc but when i unplug it performance goes down and my fps stays at 20 my question is can i keep my laptop plugged in to the adapter while gaming ?!

Yes you can, laptops use all the power they can when they're plugged in but ease off of it when their running on battery to conserve energy.

Of course you can use it while charging. The reason the performance drops is that the power saving features kick in when you unplug it. They can usually be disabled in the bios or directly from windows.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Depends on how your laptop charges, if your concern is the longevity of your battery. Most modern laptop only charge the battery after it loses a curtain amount of charge so keeping it plugged in is fine.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

If you go to the power settings/management (both in Windows and the BIOS), you should be able to set it to Performance when unplugged, though it'll drain the battery quicker. Yes, you can keep it plugged in. 

If you go to the power settings, you should be able to set it to Performance when unplugged, though it'll drain the battery quicker. Yes, you can keep it plugged in. 

i set it on high performance but still the same 

i set it on high performance but still the same

Have you tried changing the power settings for the GPU?

If I remember right, if it's an AMD GPU there should be an option in CCC for Power-Saving or High-Performance 

Have you tried changing the power settings for the GPU?

If I remember right, if it's an AMD GPU there should be an option in CCC for Power-Saving or High-Performance 

also set on high performance while using battery

Your battery will have a maximum voltage it can supply, this will be less than what the outlet can provide in many cases.

check the performance plans of the gpu

Even overwriting the performance plan to stay on max performance won't help. Especially if its NVIDIA optimus (660m owner)

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Your battery will have a maximum voltage it can supply, this will be less than what the outlet can provide in many cases.

^ that

When in doubt, re-format.

also set on high performance while using battery

Then that's the best you're going to get on your battery.

ok then it isnt bad if keep my laptop plugged in even while its 100% charged ?!

ok then it isnt bad if keep my laptop plugged in even while its 100% charged ?!

Check the manufacturers website on your model, it should say if that is OK. If it's less than 5 years old the chances are high it's OK.

This is not correct. A computer needs consistent voltage to run, above will damage and below it will crash. I suspect what you mean to say is that they cant provide enough current and hence power (power = voltage * current). But that isnt true either because a modern lipo battery of laptop size can sustain well over 200watts of sustained power so its just not a problem.

The issue as others have pointed out is power management, which you should be able to disable by using high performance in the power settings but with some gpus it wont neccessarily work and the gpu drivers might be necessary as well, but again they might not offer the ability to override the default.

This is not correct. A computer needs consistent voltage to run, above will damage and below it will crash. I suspect what you mean to say is that they cant provide enough current and hence power (power = voltage * current). But that isnt true either because a modern lipo battery of laptop size can sustain well over 200watts of sustained power so its just not a problem.

The issue as others have pointed out is power management, which you should be able todisable by using high performance in the power settings but with some gpus it wont neccessarily work and the gpu drivers migjt be necessary as well, but again they might not offer the ability to override the default.

Confounding variables, with no idea of the model of laptop or GPU and only going off the information given it's likely the battery is the limiting factor. Computers don't have a set power requirement, if fluctuates with load. So if the load goes over what the battery can provide then the battery limits performance.

Confounding variables, with no idea of the model of laptop or GPU and only going off the information given it's likely the battery is the limiting factor. Computers don't have a set power requirement, if fluctuates with load. So if the load goes over what the battery can provide then the battery limits performance.

i have a alienware m18x r2 with dual 7970m i tried everything but its still the same 

i have a alienware m18x r2 with dual 7970m i tried everything but its still the same 

each 7970 has a power consumption of 100w at load, Huston we have liftoff. Keep it plugged in and happy hunting.

each 7970 has a power consumption of 100w at load, Huston we have liftoff. Keep it plugged in and happy hunting.

and just saw on msi afterburner that while its plugged in it uses both 7970 and when i unplug it it uses only one so what to do with that