Watercooling 390X's

Lockless

Now, before anyone asks, I am aware that only a select few 390X's that can use selected/confirmed 290X blocks from EK. However, my Sapphire 390X's is not part of that list and EK says they have no intention on making blocks for them. It is rather hot in my place for some reason, and the AC isn't helping on my PC's temps.

Has anyone used the Thermosphere from EK on their 390X's? Also, all I know is there are VRM (???) heatsinks from Akasa, so... what do you use to mount fans cool everything else on the GPU that needs cooling?

If I posted in the wrong section, I do apologize. I am not sure if this belongs to the watercooling section or graphics card section.

All 390X's have fully custom PCB's and power delivery, so EK is pretty Fucked when it comes to making blocks.

Which is why I'm curious to know if anyone's used the Thermosphere. I really wanna spare my 390X from this misery since my place is hot and Its pretty much on a Caselabs S8 Testbench.

The S8 Testbench was a hand-me-down, and the only thing thats watercooled is the CPU... thats it.

Edited by Lockless

You'll definitely need to ghetto mount a fan to cool those vrms and vrams modules. The only full cover water block available for the 390x are the ones using the ref design like PCS+ or XFX. OR you could just go with a Kraken G10. 

Edit: OR you could purchase a pci slot cooler along with what you are currently planning. Here's one from Gelid http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426045 There are some from Lian Li but I think those are more expensive since they're full metal. 

If you feel inventive enough, you could always make one yourself. 

gelid_slot-fan_dual-slim.jpg

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You'll definitely need to ghetto mount a fan to cool those vrms and vrams modules. The only full cover water block available for the 390x are the ones using the ref design like PCS+ or XFX. OR you could just go with a Kraken G10. 

Edit: OR you could purchase a pci slot cooler along with what you are currently planning. Here's one from Gelid http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426045 There are some from Lian Li but I think those are more expensive since they're full metal. 

If you feel inventive enough, you could always make one yourself. 

gelid_slot-fan_dual-slim.jpg

Well, the PCI-E Fan slot cooler thing may help out alot on what the VRM heatsinks (from Akasa) and the Thermosphere can't cool.

At some point, I feel like I wanna sell my 390X instead and get a 980, 980 Ti, or something that has a ready to use full block cover. But... I don't wanna give up on the 390X just yet.

Well, the PCI-E Fan slot cooler thing may help out alot on what the VRM heatsinks (from Akasa) and the Thermosphere can't cool.

At some point, I feel like I wanna sell my 390X instead and get a 980, 980 Ti, or something that has a ready to use full block cover. But... I don't wanna give up on the 390X just yet.

Or if you can, maybe ask for an exchange to a 390x with reference design? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Or if you can, maybe ask for an exchange to a 390x with reference design? 

I did try... the annoying part is that I have to pay up around $180 more for a reference 390X... thats already worth a block and some fittings... I don't know why its like this, locally, but... I really wanna smash my head to a wall.

I did try... the annoying part is that I have to pay up around $180 more for a reference 390X... thats already worth a block and some fittings... I don't know why its like this, locally, but... I really wanna smash my head to a wall.

Yea.... That doesn't really sound like an exchange... Cheapest solution I can give you is a separate loop using the Kraken. But if you sell the 390x, make sure to get the 980 Ti(that has a full water block available).

Goes to show why we should always to more homework on the parts we get :B 

Yea.... That doesn't really sound like an exchange... Cheapest solution I can give you is a separate loop using the Kraken. But if you sell the 390x, make sure to get the 980 Ti(that has a full water block available).

Goes to show why we should always to more homework on the parts we get :B 

The thing is, the 390X was a gift and it came with the receipts. I called up my brother (who gave it to me as a gift) so we can exchange it since I need him for ID purposes and what not... which didn't materialize. I was honestly going for just a 980Ti to begin with since my 460 was fried due to my stupidity... But hey, 390X, pretty good to me... just wish he got me something like a 970 (I would've been happy with a 970 already) but oh well.

The thing is, the 390X was a gift and it came with the receipts. I called up my brother (who gave it to me as a gift) so we can exchange it since I need him for ID purposes and what not... which didn't materialize. I was honestly going for just a 980Ti to begin with since my 460 was fried due to my stupidity... But hey, 390X, pretty good to me... just wish he got me something like a 970 (I would've been happy with a 970 already) but oh well.

If you would be fine with a 970 why the urgent need to wc the 390x? Im pretty sure the cooler it came with should be fine at stock clocks even with extreme ambient temps.

Just hard for me to understand why someone would wc if not for the need to get the extra little bit of performance.

If you would be fine with a 970 why the urgent need to wc the 390x? Im pretty sure the cooler it came with should be fine at stock clocks even with extreme ambient temps.

Just hard for me to understand why someone would wc if not for the need to get the extra little bit of performance.

The 390X was a gift I didn't expect from him. I was actually saving up for a 980ti (still kinda far from it) and hold on with IGPU. I wanna watercool it since its really hot in here, even more so right now. I don't mind leaving it at stock speeds, but I don't want to let it kill itself due to heat.

I'm just making the most of what I got here.

Pity then. Well, the 390x Tri-X is already a very good card anyway :B

Pity then. Well, the 390x Tri-X is already a very good card anyway :B

If it wasn't so hot in here, it'd be a good card. I mean, my brother's 980 suffers thermal throttling than my 390X because his room is like 1 C warmer than mine...

Thats why I wanna invest in watercooling the GPU since I can ask my brother for his 360 radiator he doesn't use anymore and the spare fittings and tubes. Thats why I wanna know if anyone's had experience with the Thermosphere and share their experiences with it.

If it wasn't so hot in here. I mean, my brother's 980 suffers thermal throttling than my 390X because his room is like 1 C warmer than mine...

What are the load temps like on your 390x?

What are the load temps like on your 390x?

Its hitting 82. I don't care what AMD or Nvidia says or will say regarding what temps their cards can tolerate. Its kind of worrying me ALOT

Its hitting 82. I don't care what AMD or Nvidia says or will say regarding what temps their cards can tolerate. Its kind of worrying me ALOT

Mmm. That's a little high. try creating a custom fan curve? Mine never goes over 71*C. 

Mmm. That's a little high. try creating a custom fan curve? Mine never goes over 71*C. 

I actually am in the middle of doing it while maybe underclocking it. I guess I'll have to use my headphones more often now since I got a hand-me-down open test bench...