Custom Water Cooling Temperatures REALLY HIGH!

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

Try reseating the waterblock it's probably what's causing the high idle and load temps. 

hi guys,

over the summer i put together a custom water cooling loop using all EK products. I've got a 4790k and 2 msi 970s on the loop. I have a 240 rad that is 40mm thick and another 240 that is 80mm thick. Now my graphics cards are fine, 40 idle and up to 55 under load. But its the cpu where all my issues are. Even with no overclock I'm at like 55 degrees celsius just idling and around 80 under even a gaming load. And when i try to overclock the idle is at like 65 and under load my computer slows to like 2 frame per seconds and then usually crashes due to overheating. I have absolutely no idea why these temperatures are so high on a custom loop and would really appreciate feedback and suggestions, ill answer any questions you guys have.

thank you in advance!

rest of the build:

Case: cooler master 652s

fans: vardar fans on the radiators

blocks: EK supremacy EVO elite, EK msi 970 water blocks

fittings: all EK compression fittings

tubing: primochill primoflex advanced

radiator and pump: Bay Res combo with a d5 vario

(post-231409-0-61298500-1442439097_thumb.

Current PC

CPU: i7 77000k MOBO: Z170i Pro Gaming COOLING: Corair H100i v2 RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 16gb (8x2) GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1080 Turbo  STORAGE:  Samsung 960 evo 512gb, 3 x Samsung 850 pro 1tb CASE: Fractal Design Nano S PSU: Corsair RMi 750i

hi guys,

over the summer i put together a custom water cooling loop using all EK products. I've got a 4790k and 2 msi 970s on the loop. I have a 240 rad that is 40mm thick and another 240 that is 80mm thick. Now my graphics cards are fine, 40 idle and up to 55 under load. But its the cpu where all my issues are. Even with no overclock I'm at like 55 degrees celsius just idling and around 80 under even a gaming load. And when i try to overclock the idle is at like 65 and under load my computer slows to like 2 frame per seconds and then usually crashes due to overheating. I have absolutely no idea why these temperatures are so high on a custom loop and would really appreciate feedback and suggestions, ill answer any questions you guys have.

thank you in advance!

rest of the build:

Case: cooler master 652s

fans: vardar fans on the radiators

blocks: EK supremacy EVO elite, EK msi 970 water blocks

fittings: all EK compression fittings

tubing: primochill primoflex advanced

radiator and pump: Bay Res combo with a d5 vario

Try reseating the waterblock it's probably what's causing the high idle and load temps. 

I'd try as W-L said, it the likely reason for it.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

reseating the water block?

Current PC

CPU: i7 77000k MOBO: Z170i Pro Gaming COOLING: Corair H100i v2 RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 16gb (8x2) GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1080 Turbo  STORAGE:  Samsung 960 evo 512gb, 3 x Samsung 850 pro 1tb CASE: Fractal Design Nano S PSU: Corsair RMi 750i

Take it off make sure all the mounting hardware is lining up properly and make sure you tighten it down right. If you don't seat it properly it won't cool properly. When your tightening the block down tighten 2 corners at the same time using 2 Diagonal corners.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Basically taking off the waterblock cleaning the paste and applying new stuff and re-installing, sometimes it can take a few times to get to perfectly installed to not have high temps.

I mean during load though, my reservoir can get very hot to the touch and the sides of my case is pushing out like noticeably very warm air. is it possible that i just don't have the cooling capacity for all these chips with only two 240 radiators? and actually i have repositioned my water block twice already on the cpu, don't know if thats the same as reseating

Current PC

I mean during load though, my reservoir can get very hot to the touch and the sides of my case is pushing out like noticeably very warm air. is it possible that i just don't have the cooling capacity for all these chips with only two 240 radiators? and actually i have repositioned my water block twice already on the cpu, don't know if thats the same as reseating

No cause it would also make your GPU's heat up severely high also since it's in the same loop, it's a simple task of taking the black off and reinstalling since you have soft tubing you can do it very very carefully with everything attached. Since you have thicker rads your loop is still very capable of handling all those components.

the loop moves clockwise so does it matter that the water hitting the cpu is coming directly from the two 970's, would reversing my loop so the water moved the opposite direction do anything? 

Current PC

the loop moves clockwise so does it matter that the water hitting the cpu is coming directly from the two 970's, would reversing my loop so the water moved the opposite direction do anything? 

Theoretically a little but not anything meaningful since the fluid moves so fast through the loop, loop order doesn't matter as long as pumps are below the res.

alright thank you so much, ill try reseating my cpu block tonight, anymore suggestions that i should try also, like push vs pull or speed of my pump?

Current PC

alright thank you so much, ill try reseating my cpu block tonight, anymore suggestions that i should try also, like push vs pull or speed of my pump?

Overall you should be good.  ;)

The reason loop order doesn't matter is after a short period the liquid in the loop will reach its maximum temp and stay at this temp, so no matter what the same temp liquid is going through your waterblocks (once your coolant hits this max temp anyways).  If your gpu are being cooled fine by this coolant then your cpu should as well, unless your waterblock is insufficient however your cpu waterblock is good so that can't be the issue, so changing from push or pull or push+pull likely isn't going to make much of a difference. That said what is your current fan/rad setup?

Has the thermal paste under the block spread completely, where it covers most if not all of the cpu with a thin layer ? or is it thick and not spread well ? Wrong standoff maybe?

The reason loop order doesn't matter is after a short period the liquid in the loop will reach its maximum temp and stay at this temp, so no matter what the same temp liquid is going through your waterblocks (once your coolant hits this max temp anyways).  If your gpu are being cooled fine by this coolant then your cpu should as well, unless your waterblock is insufficient however your cpu waterblock is good so that can't be the issue, so changing from push or pull or push+pull likely isn't going to make much of a difference. That said what is your current fan/rad setup?

Pretty much this, loop order is irrelevant. Will probably only get lower temps by delidding or bare die mounting the waterblock. His current rad setup is 2x 240mm rads.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Did you take the protective film off the bottom of the block before mounting it?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

the orientation of your CPU block says your loop order is:

res/pump>front rad>Low GPU>Top GPU>CPU>top rad>res/pump is this correct?

default insert/jet plate is for LGA1366/2011 (i1/j1) as the LGA 115X uses j2 jet plate.

otherwise you have one bass-ass air bubble in that CPU block.

umm that is correct loop order and i didn't change the jet plate when i got the block, the documentation said it came with the 115x plate installed

Current PC

THANK YOU GUYS! special shout out to W-L for helping me through this. I'm currently running aida64 stress test with a nice overclock on the 4790k and so far everything is going great. temps are still a little bit high at around 75 degrees but this is an intense stress test so its not too bad, and most importantly i have absolutely no throttling at all so its running hot but a controlled hot. when i went to reseat the cpu block i noticed that there was just a ton of cpu paste on there. I do have the bad habit of over applying but i never thought it could be this detrimental. i reapplied a smaller amount and things are going good! thank you!

Current PC