Acer XB270HU TN vs ROG swift

maizenblue

Both of these are 144hz 1440p 1ms Gsync TN monitors and they cost roughly the same. Is one any better than the other? I've read the ROG swift has good reviews but has had lots quality control issues with dead pixels and backlight bleed etc, but I don't hear much about the Acer.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Both of these are 144hz 1440p 1ms Gsync TN monitors and they cost roughly the same. Is one any better than the other? I've read the ROG swift has good reviews but has had lots quality control issues with dead pixels and backlight bleed etc, but I don't hear much about the Acer.

The XB270HU is an IPS display.

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

The XB270HU is an IPS display.

looks like they also release a TN version

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/acer-will-release-27-inch-1440p-tn-film-xb270hu-g-sync-144hz.html

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

the Acer one is IPS, if I'm not mistaken

There is an IPS model and a TN model. The IPS is more expensive and has a 4ms response time.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Between the two, the Swift has better build quality. I'm not sure on the panel with the Acer TN version, but if it's like the panel on the XB280HK, then it's actually pretty good. I would still want to go for the IPS version of the XB270HU though. 

EDIT: I have a thread for my thoughts on the XB280HK, which has a very similar stand and housing to the XB270HU, and the panel may be similar in terms of quality, but I am unsure on that one http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/292068-4kg-sync-first-impressionsreview-acer-xb280hk/

WHY?!

I thought the same....

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

The IPS version is at least 200 USD more, and some people might like the lower response time if they play FPS games like BF4.

Ive only ever owned TN so I cant say how much of a difference IPS makes.

What about a non gsync 60hz 1440p monitor with a 1ms response time like this one-AOC Q2778VQE. Its 300 dollars cheaper, and my GTX 980 is only going to get a little above 60fps in games like bf4 on ultra settings, so the 144hz would be wasted on the other two.

I mainly just want a 1440p monitor good for FPS shooters that doesn't have a lot of input lag. I don't mind 60hz for 1440p. The AOC seems to fit the bill, but im a little wary about how cheap it is so im wondering if the price is solely because its a 60 hz tn panel or if there is something else.\

Also, are response time and input lag linked? This has a 1ms response time, so Im assuming input lag would also be low. Would this necessarily be the case?

There's some misinformation going around this thread so let me clear it up, Acer is not releasing a TN version of the XB270HU and even if they did, it wouldn't carry the same name.  The article linked above was posted before the Acer XB270HU was released, it's out of date and just plain wrong.  The real TN panel from Acer with similar features is, confusingly enough, the Acer XB270H (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270H-Abprz-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00NUCRBCU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442433275&sr=1-1&keywords=XB270H), it's a 1080p 144hz GSYNC panel.  The XB270HU (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-bprz-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00UPVXDA8) however is a 1440p 144hz GSYNC IPS panel and costs a lot more.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion, I'm spreading misinformation too.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

There's some misinformation going around this thread so let me clear it up, Acer is not releasing a TN version of the XB270HU and even if they did, it wouldn't carry the same name.  The article linked above was posted before the Acer XB270HU was released, it's out of date and just plain wrong.  The real TN panel from Acer with similar features is, confusingly enough, the Acer XB270H (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270H-Abprz-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00NUCRBCU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442433275&sr=1-1&keywords=XB270H), it's a 1080p 144hz GSYNC panel.  The XB270HU (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-bprz-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00UPVXDA8) however is a 1440p 144hz GSYNC IPS panel and costs a lot more.

As for the topic at hand, I will always take IPS over TN.  I own the Acer XB270HU and it's the best monitor I have ever had, it's a wonderful piece of hardware that I won't be replacing for many years.

Acer XB270HU. That is the Acer monitor im referring to. Newegg refers to it as IPS, but if you read the reviews people who bought it are stating clearly that it is actually TN. pcparticker also lists that exact product as TN. Newegg also offers an acer monitor of the same name that is 200 dollars more. I believe THAT is the IPS one because why else would it cost 200 more?

Ive also read in other places that acer does indeed offer a TN monitor of that name. Its confusing.

Edit. To clear something up, the XB270HU Abprz is the TN model. The XB270HU bbprz is the IPS model I believe.

OK, just checked around online and Amazon lists a Acer XB270HU abprz for sale, only that's listed a 1080p 144hz gsync monitor, and acer lists it as 1080p on their website.

Either newegg screwed up or Acer once made an Acer XB270HU tn monitor but discontinued it once the IPS version came out and newegg still has some TN versions in stock. Who knows.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

WHY?!

Cuz "GAYMERS" are the worst thing to happen to an industry. 

They dont know DICK, and if you stick " 1 MS RESPOENSE TIME" on the box they will be seduced by NUMBERS and buy it.

Thats why companies still dare to peddle TN garbage... cuz there are idiots that keep buying trash.

OK after some research:

1XB270HU bprz (US/CA): 1440p IPS G-SYNC
1XB270HU (UK/AU): 1440p IPS G-SYNC

2XB270HU Abprz (US/CA): 1440p TN G-SYNC
3XB270H Abprz (US/CA): 1080p TN G-SYNC

3XB270HA (UK): 1080p TN G-SYNC
3XB270H (AU): 1080p TN G-SYNC
4XB270H (UK): 1080p TN (no sync)

Thanks Glenwing, that clears that up.

I went with the ASUS ROG swift because it was on sale for 564. It should be a good combo with my Gigabyte g1 980.

I'm glad I didn't get a 980 ti or Fury X, since I found the 980 on ebay new for dirt cheap(I paid barely more than the price of a 970), and used the money I saved to buy just about the best gaming monitor out there(until the Gsync IPS ROG Swift comes out).

Thanks Glenwing, that clears that up.

I went with the ASUS ROG swift because it was on sale for 564. It should be a good combo with my Gigabyte g1 980.

I'm glad I didn't get a 980 ti or Fury X, since I found the 980 on ebay new for dirt cheap(I paid barely more than the price of a 970), and used the money I saved to buy just about the best gaming monitor out there(until the Gsync IPS ROG Swift comes out).

Nope. Acer xb270hu is the best Monitor atm.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

They dont know DICK, and if you stick " 1 MS RESPOENSE TIME" on the box they will be seduced by NUMBERS and buy it.

Thats why companies still dare to peddle TN garbage... cuz there are idiots that keep buying trash.

I have seen it said so many times by so many people in so many forums that lower response and low input lag time is crucial for FPS gamers, at least for those that take it at least moderately seriously.

How much truth there is to this, and whether I could really notice the difference between a 4ms response time and 1ms response time I cant say, and whether input lag is tied to response time I cant say, but it seems to be the case that TN panels are almost always better when it comes to input lag. I can only repeat what I have read many times, that for those people that care and that have compared, the difference is very noticeable.

I have seen it said so many times by so many people in so many forums that lower response and low input lag time is crucial for FPS gamers, at least for those that take it at least moderately seriously.

INPUT LAG is a whole different story.

And if you check any TFT central reviews - you`ll the list of tested monitors and the fastest few monitors are all IPS.

Input lag has NOTHING to do with the type of panel used. It has everything to do with how much hardware and software bloat is in the monitor.

Difference in what?

You first of all should learn that Input Lag and Response Time (or Pixel Response Time to be exact) are two completely unrelated things.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

The FIRST post under the displays section.

The best part is, when people think "Oh man, 1ms response compared to like 5?  Of course I'm getting that!", they don't realize that the average human reaction time is around 200-250ms.

They literally are taking worse visual quality for something they cannot possibly perceive or take advantage of because that 4ms difference is less than 3% of a difference in human reaction time.  And THEN the latency in a competitive shooter makes that difference even more meaningless.

I would imagine if it was like 50ms latency (which is terrible), but it's not like old times when old LCD panels and TVs had awful latency (I remember one time at EVO they had to change all the LCDs to CRTs because the delay threw off combos so hard)

snip

Just to give a few examples and a few words on response time:

ALL LCD`s have around 10ms pixel response time. That "1ms gtg" advertised is the fastest color shift (grey to grey) measurement under heavy overdrive. All other color shifts are only worse under that heavy overdrive. And if you even used that much overdrive you would have clearly visible bright inverse ghosting going on. In other words - the advertised response time is 100% worthless info, just like contrast ratio nowadays.

BUT: the three technologies which are in fact GOOD for enjoying motion are:

CRT = 0ms pixel response time for ALL color shifts equally
DLP (projector) = 1ms pixel response time for ALL color shifts equally
OLED = 0.01ms pixel response time for ALL color shifts equally

Since CRT burns eyes and is too small and dead. And since OLED is way too expensive and only available on TVs with lots of hardware and software bloat that creates massive input lag... (lowest input lag OLED tv out there = 50ms).

Pixel response time and input lag are independent specs. To have the lowest possible input lag = you want a "dumb" panel with only a single connection and nothing else, no processing or anything, just straight cable2screen.

The best way to enjoy motion right now is in fact a DLP projector. So there :)

INPUT LAG is a whole different story.

And if you check any TFT central reviews - you`ll the list of tested monitors and the fastest few monitors are all IPS.

Input lag has NOTHING to do with the type of panel used. It has everything to do with how much hardware and software bloat is in the monitor.

Difference in what?

You first of all should learn that Input Lag and Response Time (or Pixel Response Time to be exact) are two completely unrelated things.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

The FIRST post under the displays section.

That link was helpful. The whole response time vs input lag is something I've asked several times, and never gotten a clear answer. 

I've always understood they weren't the same thing, but whenever I asked about a monitors input lag Id get a comment about response time, so I was starting to wonder if the two were in some way related.

I'm less worried about the ROG swift being TN than I am the fact its made by ASUS. I've had horrible experiences with their customer service and quality control.

The cheapest ASUS products Ive bought have been trouble free and greatly exceeded expectations(like the 140 dollar ASUS TN monitor im using now). Its the expensive ones that were riddled with defects and problems.

That link was helpful. The whole response time vs input lag is something I've asked several times, and never gotten a clear answer. 

I've always understood they weren't the same thing, but whenever I asked about a monitors input lag Id get a comment about response time, so I was starting to wonder if the two were in some way related.

I'm less worried about the ROG swift being TN than I am the fact its made by ASUS. I've had horrible experiences with their customer service and quality control.

The cheapest ASUS products Ive bought have been trouble free and greatly exceeded expectations(like the 140 dollar ASUS TN monitor im using now). Its the expensive ones that were riddled with defects and problems.

ALL LCD monitors have an equal chance of having defects.

Just because you read about SOME more popular ones on forums, doesnt mean shit.

IF you get a defective LCD - you should return it either way. 

This should not influence your choice in specs. The specs should always come first.

Heres the list of the only monitors anyone should spend their money on (or keep saving up, cuz anything else is wasted money) :

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/410994-list-of-all-ipsva-gsyncfreesync-monitors/

And all of them will be among the fastest monitors there are. Some even faster than a whole lot of "1ms GAYMEING monitors out there".