Will game companies hire me?

levsingh

Hey guys i am first year student of computer games development and i am quite worried about my job i have learnt some stuff that we would do later in the course and have made some stuff for my portfolio here is the recent project that i am working, i am making a island house (night scene) the screen shot is posted below. just wondering if it is good and what else do i need to learn. i know my shadows are messed up now i will fix them soon

thankyou

post-55381-0-70819900-1442359565_thumb.p

post-55381-0-36475300-1442359574_thumb.p

It looks dank. However, software companies will take you based on your experience for a specific field - Google isn't just going to walk up to you and offer you a job.

^Sadly, this is the truth. Education means nothing without experience, and experience without education apparently also means nothing.

How one is supposed to get both, is beyond me.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Internship.... If you offer them "free" labor, they'll give you experience.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Spend more time on the textures and also get some shadows as you said earlier. The brick wall looks like GMod

and yet Gmod is played by tons

^Sadly, this is the truth. Education means nothing without experience, and experience without education apparently also means nothing.

thats the issue worried if someone is gonna hire me after uni

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and yet Gmod is played by tons

Haha very true

but gaming companies dont want to make gmod. They want to make AAA titles

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Internships internships internships. And some more internships.

You can even get them in high school (I got one last summer at USNA with only minimal application stuff needed).

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

here are some of my other models 

1911 pistol

as val rifle

bender the great :P

victor from fallout new vegas

post-55381-0-83173900-1442360217.png

post-55381-0-09763100-1442360219.png

post-55381-0-13744500-1442360220.png

post-55381-0-20259100-1442360221.png

What engine are you using? Textures are abit bad. The light and how it interacts with objects is quite nice :)

its unity engine

Ahh, well i cant give you much advice as i am not familiar with it, im most used to the Unreal Engine :)

i am learning unreal as well

Internships internships internships. And some more internships.

You can even get them in high school (I got one last summer at USNA with only minimal application stuff needed).

Hard to get when you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a job. Hopefully that will be rectified by next year though.

Hard to get when you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a job. Hopefully that will be rectified by next year though.

?

Just keep working on it man, you'll get there.  If developers can make bank off of unfinished garbage like Ark you can definitely make a game worth playing, you just need to keep your head in the game and go for it.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Part of the problem with the games industry right now is that you have to be an extremely good candidate to even have a shot at a shitty job in the industry. Game programmers are like a dime a dozen right now. You will do so much better if you just go work elsewhere in the private sector, where programmers are actually in demand.

Sager/Clevo NP9170

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz | Radeon HD 7970M 2GB | 12GB 1600MHz | 2x 240GB OCZ SSD | 750GB Hybrid Drive | Windows 10

You don't need a job. In fact, managing an internship with a regular job would be very tricky.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

Part of the problem with the games industry right now is that you have to be an extremely good candidate to even have a shot at a shitty job in the industry. Game programmers are like a dime a dozen right now. You will do so much better if you just go work elsewhere in the private sector, where programmers are actually in demand.

This is true too. I'm not a programmer by any means, but I know enough about the profession that a lot of people start out with IT positions or (especially if you're in the US with its enormous defense industry) cybersecurity/defense/software development.

with the island house, try cramming more detail on the brick wall because it looks flat as hell

could always work on the lighting'

just try getting more realistic shading

but it looks good for a WIP

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just keep working on it man, you'll get there.  If developers can make bank off of unfinished garbage like Ark you can definitely make a game worth playing, you just need to keep your head in the game and go for it.

thanks man  :)

You don't need a job. In fact, managing an internship with a regular job would be very tricky.

....then how would I pay for you know.....being alive?