4 pin mobo, 8 pin psu

Tsuki
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

if it fits it sits.

so i was building that computer for my nephew with practically no budget. and i got a motherboard that has a 4pin cpu connector, and a power supply with an 8pin connector for the cpu..  i know on good power supplies, the 8pin on the psu usually splits to a 6/2 or a 4/4. this one doesnt..its just a single 8pin. ill get pictures and actual specs when i get back home. but i just kinda plugged in four of the pins and left the other four obviously unplugged.. it should be fine right..? maybe.. its worked fine so far, but all ive done was install antivirus and updates so who knows.. 

is it safe to just leave it, or do i need to go buy an adaptor?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I might cover it with like tape or something but should be good.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

if it fits it sits.

that was kinda my thought. like, if they normally split, then it should totally be fine i'd think.. just seems kinda sketchy..

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

so i was building that computer for my nephew with practically no budget. and i got a motherboard that has a 4pin cpu connector, and a power supply with an 8pin connector for the cpu..  i know on good power supplies, the 8pin on the psu usually splits to a 6/2 or a 4/4. this one doesnt..its just a single 8pin. ill get pictures and actual specs when i get back home. but i just kinda plugged in four of the pins and left the other four obviously unplugged.. it should be fine right..? maybe.. its worked fine so far, but all ive done was install antivirus and updates so who knows.. 

is it safe to just leave it, or do i need to go buy an adaptor?

EPS connectors should only be 4+4 pins you can split the connection and only plug in one of the 4pin blocks of the 8 pin connector and let the other one hang:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

like how little was his budget? Cause a good budget psu is the EVGA 430watt psu. Its 80plus rated and has all the nesecary cables

Just shrug it off

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

like how little was his budget? Cause a good budget psu is the EVGA 430watt psu. Its 80plus rated and has all the nesecary cables

his budget was only $300 and he only gave me $250.  i managed to do it with the 250 surprisingly, but hes shit outta luck for a gpu

EPS connectors should only be 4+4 pins you can split the connection and only plug in one of the 4pin blocks of the 8 pin connector and let the other one hang:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

yeah i know normally they are 4+4, this is just some super shitty one that just has 8, and doesnt split at all for some reason.  it even says CPU on it, so i know im not crazy.

|Specs in profile|

his budget was only $300 and he only gave me $250.  i managed to do it with the 250 surprisingly, but hes shit outta luck for a gpu

yeah i know normally they are 4+4, this is just some super shitty one that just has 8, and doesnt split at all for some reason.  it even says CPU on it, so i know im not crazy.

True there are some that don't split so basically you plug in one half and hope no heatsinks or things impact the connector.  :D

guess ill just tape it off and hope for the best, seems sketchy, but the build is pretty ghetto already, so why not right?

thanks everybody!!

|Specs in profile|

my build was just over $300CAD. Whats his build?

sorry for the delay lol

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZynynQ

|Specs in profile|

• 2 weeks later...

look similar to my build. I just threw a refurb 750ti in mine from newegg canada for like $130 CAD so $97 USD

look similar to my build. I just threw a refurb 750ti in mine from newegg canada for like $130 CAD so $97 USD

thats what i plan on doing.  my friend is getting a 980 for his birthday, and he'll give me his 750ti

|Specs in profile|