Who at my school would I need to talk to so that I can get them to give me their old tech?

Yummychickenblue

so AFAIK most schools just throw out their old tech. I'm looking to setup a deal with them where I take it away for free. This saves them money and gets me stuff that I can use for reasons. Who would I have to talk to to make this happen? Would I go to the technical director or the principal? It doesn't seem like the principal would have that kind of power, so would I need to go the higher ups in charge of all the county schools?

I would see the principal, then he would probably request permission to let you take them off your hands.

If I could, I would get all of the unused computers, refurbish the ones that could actually be useful, then sell 'em!

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I would see the principal, then he would probably request permission to let you take them off your hands.

If I could, I would get all of the unused computers, refurbish the ones that could actually be useful, then sell 'em!

Ssshhh! Don't reveal my secrets! I don't want LTT to flood eBay with old computers!

There's usually a systems administrator somewhere in the building. That being said, I feel like there is some government mandate that requires schools to recycle or dispose of their old computers in a certain way. Not sure if they'll be able to give you stuff but its worth a shot.

Your sysadmins or one of the techs

Anyone got any advice for me? 

I got like 20 or so old dell/hp desktops from an old school. The ones with 1-2Gb ram, first dual core Pentiums (ones with two separate cores under the heat spreader), 80GB IED HDD's and such. Was going to make one a router and one a home nas, wtf do I do with the other 18+ xD

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

My previous school donated all the stuff to charity and my current school doesn't want to give stuff to students because of the few who came back crying to the school sysadmins for tech support and demanding windows licences and such.

I got like 20 or so old dell/hp desktops from an old school. The ones with 1-2Gb ram, first dual core Pentiums (ones with two separate cores under the heat spreader), 80GB IED HDD's and such. Was going to make one a router and one a home nas, wtf do I do with the other 18+ xD

Botnet? Kappa

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Ssshhh! Don't reveal my secrets! I don't want LTT to flood eBay with old computers!

That's already happening man ;)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

You can probably pull it off by talking to the school's technician. Nobody cares where the garbage goes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

most schools dont throw away there tech they either sell it to a recycling company or donate it. Also in allot of cases the school is not legally able to give away equipment to students or faculty. The person I would ask about it would be the tech admin or finance manager.

most schools dont throw away there tech they either sell it to a recycling company or donate it. Also in allot of cases the school is not legally able to give away equipment to students or faculty. The person I would ask about it would be the tech admin or finance manager.

I'm not a student or faculty at the school I would take the laptops from.

CLUSTER THAT CRAP

Botnet? Kappa

Only half of them have power cords tho lol

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

and yeah, the system admin.

I'd like to hook up with him and make a deal to build all the new rigs that go into the school, cause I know what the hell I'm actually doing.

CLUSTER THAT CRAP

K

I'm not a student or faculty at the school I would take the laptops from.

again I would ask there finance department

CLUSTER THAT CRAP

make an f'n supercomputer with dat shit