Best nVidia GPU to pair with a G3258

960. It outperforms its nearest AMD competitor the 270x. If you want to spend $30-$40 more you could go for a 280x but it should outperform it when it costs that much more. The 960 is probably the best bang for your buck card out right now.

EDIT: woops I didn't see your table. If you can get a 280x for 960 money then go for that.

id say the zotac 950 (only one reasonably priced in the list) or 280x

Please if you don't have anything constructive to say, dont say it.

No point saving for a next build. as i will be rich as balls then (not rly but you get what i mean)

Now you have my interest, am I really that limited by the g3258? coz everybody else is suggesting the mid-level cards. this is a legit question.

+99999

Pretty rude, can't I even ask you a question?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I suggest a 950 because my 750Ti can handle league, csgo, and other light games no problem at all but bioshock inf it was only getting like 50FPS.

Now for off track: what CPU cooler are you using? Overclocking the G3258 does really help in games and in general and there is a noticeable difference between 4.2 and 4.5 for me.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Pretty rude, can't I even ask you a question?

I think I misunderstood your question. Or you're trolling.

Even so, sorry if I offended you in any way.

It doesn't mean that if I'll be using this for OC experience, I won't be using it for anything else.

Besides the whole "building a PC" is what I want to experience. AFAIK, researching and asking questions and comparing stuff are part of that.

This is the "I'm a PC builder" starter-pack. :)

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

20th Ann Pentium and a 750 Ti is a solid combo get the EVGA FTW and you can have some OC fun with it. Im actually running this setup as an additional rig and may WC it, cause why not.

I suggest a 950 because my 750Ti can handle league, csgo, and other light games no problem at all but bioshock inf it was only getting like 50FPS.

Now for off track: what CPU cooler are you using? Overclocking the G3258 does really help in games and in general and there is a noticeable difference between 4.2 and 4.5 for me.

Interesting, IF the 750Ti can't handle BS Inf, I'll scratch it off the list. BUT before that at what res were you playing at? And are you sure it was definitely the GPU that couldn't handle the game? Not a CPU bottleneck perhaps? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Off track: Don't have the build YET. But I'm planning on an AIO AFTER I get the GPU. I may have separated the whole build into batches.

Batch 1 would be all the necessary parts for a working PC

Batch 2 would be the GPU

Batch 3 would be SSD, AIO, fans fans fans, and other random stuff.

These batches are separated by months. Will get Batch 1 this 1st week of October.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

20th Ann Pentium and a 750 Ti is a solid combo get the EVGA FTW and you can have some OC fun with it. Im actually running this setup as an additional rig and may WC it, cause why not.

omg it was like the other day all da peepz were suggesting the 960, and then the day after that the red teams, and now you guys like the 750Ti..

mmyesss moaaaar plsss.

Anyways, how's your experience on this setup? Like games, performance etc etc. The 750Ti is kind of the last choice for me. But if someone can confirm that any GPU higher than that is overkill for my CPU, I'd take the 750Ti.

Karamo

Spoiler

I think I misunderstood your question. Or you're trolling.

Even so, sorry if I offended you in any way.

It doesn't mean that if I'll be using this for OC experience, I won't be using it for anything else.

Besides the whole "building a PC" is what I want to experience. AFAIK, researching and asking questions and comparing stuff are part of that.

This is the "I'm a PC builder" starter-pack. :)

Would've been easier if you answered earlier. 

Mmm, no hard feelings ;)

I see you mentioned skyrim. Are you planning to mod Skyrim?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

omg it was like the other day all da peepz were suggesting the 960, and then the day after that the red teams, and now you guys like the 750Ti..

mmyesss moaaaar plsss.

Anyways, how's your experience on this setup? Like games, performance etc etc. The 750Ti is kind of the last choice for me. But if someone can confirm that any GPU higher than that is overkill for my CPU, I'd take the 750Ti.

Oh no you can go much higher. Its kinda a bang fro your buck GPU with a bang for your buck GPU. AKA a awesome combo for cheap.

play 1080p on mid to high depending really. havnt used the system too much as I havnt been able to finish its transfer to Win10 yet really and it just got a new case it has to be moved into.

Would've been easier if you answered earlier. 

Mmm, no hard feelings ;)

I see you mentioned skyrim. Are you planning to mod Skyrim?

Definitely... All the aesthetic crap from that Skyrim Mod Weekly youtube channel.

e.g. chest physics iykwim B)

Karamo

Spoiler

Definitely... All the aesthetic crap from that Skyrim Mod Weekly youtube channel.

e.g. chest physics iykwim B)

Then there is just really only one card then. The 280x, all those other cards will get killed with aesthetic mods.  

Oh no you can go much higher. Its kinda a bang fro your buck GPU with a bang for your buck GPU. AKA a awesome combo for cheap.

play 1080p on mid to high depending really. havnt used the system too much as I havnt been able to finish its transfer to Win10 yet really and it just got a new case it has to be moved into.

Ah ok ok.. Yea that was the idea why I put in the 750Ti. bang-for-buck kings. ahahaha

offtopic: I don't think you can fully transfer g3258 to win10. there's this problem with an update to the microcode and <insert nerd stuff>. There's like an 80% chance that you already know, but FYI if you don't.

Karamo

Spoiler

Then there is just really only one card then. The 280x, all those other cards will get killed with aesthetic mods.  

How about a 4GB GTX 960 (I think I can find a pre-owned one)? Not to bust yo chops but I'm really not that enthusiastic when it comes to AMD cards.

They have none of my trust, but I totally respect that they're better performing for the price.

Karamo

Spoiler

How about a 4GB GTX 960 (I think I can find a pre-owned one)? Not to bust yo chops but I'm really not that enthusiastic when it comes to AMD cards.

They have none of my trust, but I totally respect that they're better performing for the price.

Well too bad then. If you aren't going for "value for money" then the 960 is the card for you. 

Ah ok ok.. Yea that was the idea why I put in the 750Ti. bang-for-buck kings. ahahaha

offtopic: I don't think you can fully transfer g3258 to win10. there's this problem with an update to the microcode and <insert nerd stuff>. There's like an 80% chance that you already know, but FYI if you don't.

Its already on Win10 with no issues I just dont have all my software and what not.

I have one of those in ThePylon (see sig)

Well too bad then. If you aren't going for "value for money" then the 960 is the card for you.

950 is almost better deal if you dont want the 4GB. Depends for AMD really.

I was doing bioshock at 1080p on high-ultra, I forgot. It was def a gpu bottleneck. Tomb raider gets like 15-40fps with my setup fyi and again that's all gpu. As for the cooler, don't get an aio for a g3258. At that price you might as well go for a cheap i5 for far better performance unless you have a case that doesn't have room. An air cooler however makes sense. I suggest the hyper 212 evo. You can probably get 1.3v on that in good temp range and that gets you 4.6 on a good chip, 4.4 on a not so good chip. Also, since you haven't bought it yet, why are you getting the mATX prodigy? I just think the mATX one of those is kinda ugly with the internal layout. Have you seen the xigmatek Aquila? Also, fyi buying the ssd separate will make a bit of extra work because you'll have to clone the hard drive to the SSD. Have you thought about getting the ssd first then the hdd 2 months later? I, myself only have a 128gb SSD with my computer and find it enough but I only have <7 games on it and no media.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Its already on Win10 with no issues I just dont have all my software and what not.

I have one of those in ThePylon (see sig)

What? Nevermind you're probably on a Z-board.. Apparently it only affects non-Z board.

Karamo

Spoiler

Hmm? The 950 is hardly a better deal. 60fps Modded skyrim is hard to achieve with any card and the closest shot is the 280x with a nice 384bit 3GB vram that can hold a decent amount of high res textures. And if you look at the list the 280x is still within the price range of a 950. Quite alot of performance. 

I was doing bioshock at 1080p on high-ultra, I forgot. It was def a gpu bottleneck. Tomb raider gets like 15-40fps with my setup fyi and again that's all gpu. As for the cooler, don't get an aio for a g3258. At that price you might as well go for a cheap i5 for far better performance unless you have a case that doesn't have room. An air cooler however makes sense. I suggest the hyper 212 evo. You can probably get 1.3v on that in good temp range and that gets you 4.6 on a good chip, 4.4 on a not so good chip. Also, since you haven't bought it yet, why are you getting the mATX prodigy? I just think the mATX one of those is kinda ugly with the internal layout. Have you seen the xigmatek Aquila? Also, fyi buying the ssd separate will make a bit of extra work because you'll have to clone the hard drive to the SSD. Have you thought about getting the ssd first then the hdd 2 months later? I, myself only have a 128gb SSD with my computer and find it enough but I only have <7 games on it and no media.

Wow that's alot of words. Lemme summarize my answer.

re: AIO; it's more of an aesthetic thing rather than performance. My goal is to get the cheapest AIO that's AT LEAST the hyper212's performance. I'm leaning on some cheap AIOs like CM's seidon or DeepCool's captain120 (or maybe a pre-owned tundra). Definitely not brand new NZXT or Corsair AIOs (they're pricier). Actually if you think about it, If I scrap the AIO I may be able to get to a preowned GTX 970 budget. But naah.

re: Prodigy M, this thing's final. It's the ONLY mATX board here that is a good combination of aesthetics and price. Checked the aquila, it costs almost twice as much.

re: G3258 on AIO vs i5 on air; Yea everybody's been suggesting this, but I'm pretty sure it's a nonK i5 at that price point so no on that. I want OC.

re: SSD; I'm gonna recycle my laptop's HDD FOR NOW. Besides, the extra work is not a problem. I won't be cloning, it'll be a fresh install when I get the SSD.

Karamo

Spoiler

Hmm? The 950 is hardly a better deal. 60fps Modded skyrim is hard to achieve with any card and the closest shot is the 280x with a nice 384bit 3GB vram that can hold a decent amount of high res textures. And if you look at the list the 280x is still within the price range of a 950. Quite alot of performance. 

Actually it's not within the price range of a 950. It's just that specific 280x on sale. Upon checking regular-priced 280x's are about 1.5x the price of a cheap 950. I think this is mostly because of not much supply. There's not much demand either. Maybe shops discounted the 200s cards when the 300s cards where about to get released.

Karamo

Spoiler

What? Nevermind you're probably on a Z-board.. Apparently it only affects non-Z board.

yea why wouldnt I be? I want to OC and not use some jank workaround.

I was reference the 960 and the 950 OC'd was reaching 960 levels

key words there are modded and skyrim. that kinda like OG crysis being hard to push

Depends what you mean by withing the price range? You can always say it only a little bit mroe until you nearly get to the top of the pile.

Actually it's not within the price range of a 950. It's just that specific 280x on sale. Upon checking regular-priced 280x's are about 1.5x the price of a cheap 950. I think this is mostly because of not much supply. There's not much demand either. Maybe shops discounted the 200s cards when the 300s cards where about to get released.

And because of that sale that 280x is now within the price range of the 950s. There's not much of a reason to purchase a 950 or 960, especially when you want to mod skyrim. But as I've said, if you aren't looking for value for money then the 960 is a decent card as well. 

key words there are modded and skyrim. that kinda like OG crysis being hard to push

Depends what you mean by withing the price range? You can always say it only a little bit mroe until you nearly get to the top of the pile.

True, the 950 can be OC'd but you'll be able to OC the 960 as well. And at that point it pulls away from the 950. 

OP wants to mod Skyrim as stated above. 

Well looking at that list, prices of the 950 range from $194.39 ~ $161.21 and that 280x is $192.66 well within the range of the 950.  

yea why wouldnt I be? I want to OC and not use some jank workaround.

Right. I'm actually planning to OC mine on an H81m board. Saves alot of moolah that way, but then again, no upgraderino with this plan.

True, the 950 can be OC'd but you'll be able to OC the 960 as well. And at that point it pulls away from the 950. 

Yeah I think I get this point. The performance gap between the 960 and the 950 is decent for a small increase in price. Unless ofc I choose the cheapest of the 950 lot

Karamo

Spoiler