Discord - A better voice comms for gaming.

kupori

https://discordapp.com/

I've used skype as my voice comm for over 4 years with my friends to play mmorpgs, csgo and dota. Decided it was too much of a hassle to keep on having to add friends into calls constantly. Went on a hunt for better voice comm. 

Teamspeak - pretty complicated to set up a free server with 10 slot limit iirc, voice quality is ok i guess. 

Gamevox - much easier to use than ts but voice quality was a lil but jarring.

Then i came across discord. Holy fuck this is the best shit I've ever used. Told my friends to try it out, all of them immediately moved over to it on the same day. 

1. Can be used on browser, program version also available. (I have this retarded friend who didnt want to use other voice comms cuz he was too lazy to download, ikr wtf)

2. As I mentioned that it works on browsers as well, you can create a 24hr temporary link for (friends with no acc, players ur stacking with etc) to join.   

3. Setting up a server is simple as click on a button which says [create server], also its free. you can create as many servers as you want. The server is always up, even if the host shuts down his com.

4. No limit to the number of participants in each server. You can also create as many subchannels as you want. I've had over 10 friends in my server, works smoothly with no issues.

4. Voice quality is awesome. If you have that one friend who's mic is always loud for no god damn reason, you individually lower the volume of each participant. 

5. Very simple and effective design, features and options, also completely free. 

6. Text to Speech feature in chat which is fucking fun to use.

I wasn't asked by discord or anyone related to discord to write this post. I just feel that this voice comm is just that awesome that everyone should give it a try.

razer comms? :P

Awesome thanks for the suggestion! Been want to try something different than Steam and Skype. Steam has been having issues recently for my group of friends... Thought about using skype. But one friend has been too lazy to make an account and download skype. TeamSpeak seems great but I didn't want to pay for it. So this seems like a great option. I will definitely give it a try some time this week.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

raidcall is another one i havent had any issues with.  but you have to make an account which kinda sucks.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I'm enjoying Teamspeak and Mumble. I don't really see what the issue is with either of those. :) 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I'm enjoying Teamspeak and Mumble. I don't really see what the issue is with either of those. :)

There's no issue with TS or Mumble. But if you're looking for a new voice comms to try, definitely check out Discord. 

I definitely enjoy using Discord more than the others that I've tried because of its minimalist yet feature packed UI design. You might prefer TS etc. But hey to each his own  :D

I love TS, Mumble is good too, Skype is just shit and Curse Voice is pretty good too

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I use curse voice a lot. Might start using this tho, since you can have channels and stuff.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

I don't get how Teamspeak is considered "paid". Is it because you need to host a server? If so then it seems a bit disingenuous to categorize it as a paid program when a client doesn't need to pay... *Edit, I always forget TS's mobile apps are paid, this is probably what they are referring to. I guess I'd use Discord for mobile communication then if I didn't want to buy TS's app.

I host my own Teamspeak, but it's great to have options. I've been meaning to try this, but no one I know uses it, so I guess I'll save this for a rainy day then.