R9 390 vs. GTX 970 vs. GTX 980TI

CC268

I mean...unless there is that big of a noticeable difference in performance I will still probably buy the ASUS

Edit: nvm I see ocn is overclock.net - that is one website where I feel like I am lucky to get a single reply haha

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

I mean...unless there is that big of a noticeable difference in performance I will still probably buy the ASUS

What is OCN?

overclock.net

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I am sure you looked at the title and went "wtf?" - the point of this wasn't to compare them directly as it is quite clear what card is the best. I am having a tough time deciding whether or not it is worth spending almost $700 on the 980TI.

What games will the R9 390 not run on high/ultra settings at decent frame rates? Is there a big difference between the 390 and the 970? (seems like most people say to get the 390 over the 970)

I guess I just feel like you can get a lot out of a $300 dollar card like the 970 or 390. I could upgrade every year at that price, but I don't want to upgrade every year with the price tag of the 980TI.

What are your guys' thoughts?

If you aren't using a 1440p panel (or higher), then 390 will be more than enough! With ultra settings, some titles (wither 3, AC unity) may not hit 60, but it'll still provide a decent fps (hope that won't drop below 40 at any case). And as you mentioned you're planning to upgrade, you might find a cheaper rate in a years time of the current gen gpu when next gen is released. That will provide you a better bang for buck in the long run!! 

AND OF COURSE... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!!  :)