What is 2GB or 4GB or MORE?

Zhanlun Liang

What is the GB on a graphics cards, and what is its function??

Thanks ! ! !

Ya. My English isn't very good. I'm not really good in talking English but I'm learning...You making fun with my English, so WHAT??? You get what?? You can just correct the people and this is better than laugh at the people...

It's VRAM it's basically memory that's allocated towards Graphical settings and textures. So basically the higher the resolution or the higher you have the graphic settings on or the more textures you use the more Vram is used.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

surely you  would know this before deciding to buy a graphics card.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

2GB is still pretty much plenty on the cards that still use it (380 and below) given that 1080p is really the upper limit for them.

4GB is a pretty nice amount to have until you get to 4k where 4GB then becomes fairly constrained by the memory interface.

6GB or more is more than enough for anything out today at 4k resolutions.

Vram compression/optimization is also a thing just like in ram so don't worry about it too much.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

And don't get fooled by low end cards with a lot of VRAM like 4GB GT 630 or GTX 750, it's worthless.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds