Expensive Keyboards and Mice for Gaming

Kevguy

Does having one of these really make a difference?

I am currently using a 6 year old Dell mouse and keyboard that I got from a system.  It works fine for what I'm doing (War Thunder).  So do I really need a mechanical lit cherry mx rgb (or whatever they call them) mechanical keyboard with an "special ergonimic" razor flash mouse?

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

TBH ive seen crappy dell/hp mice last longer than most 100$+ ones.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

no, nobody really needs a mechanical keyboard over a membrane keyboard. They are generally better for gaming because the key presses are much more consistent and tactile, and typists really like them because Cherry switches come in a variety of different weights and tactile bumps.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

TBH ive seen crappy dell/hp mice last longer than most 100$+ ones.

I got that mouse and keyboard with a dell system back in 2009 and it has never given me a problem.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Im using a mechanical kb and i love it, its a blue kailh switch(knockoff cherry) and its much more responsive than my old membrane kb which i feel makes a difference in games.  My right hand is still using some cheap china mouse  :( will upgrade that soon tho so i cant comment on a how much of a difference a good mouse makes.

I have a Razer mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Green switches. It is clicky and loud, but damn it feels good to type and play games with it. I believe it was worth of every penny, as I got the cheapest version with no unneccessary backlightings and etc. pumping up the pricetag.

I got that mouse and keyboard with a dell system back in 2009 and it has never given me a problem.

If you REALLY NEVER had any problem then your setup is better than my 170€ setup :(

EDIT: LED backlight is reall handy thoug... answer to your question... kinda

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Even the cheapo keyboards and mice work just fine. But once you try typing on a 100+ € keyboard with mechanical switches, you really don't want to go back to the jello that is that cheap keyboard.  

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I have a Razer mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Green switches. It is clicky and loud, but damn it feels good to type and play games with it. I believe it was worth of every penny, as I got the cheapest version with no unneccessary backlightings and etc. pumping up the pricetag.

Just so you know, Razer doesn't use Cherry MX switches anymore and the switches your seeing are actually by a company called Kailh.  Razer teamed up with them to bring out two switches exclusive to Razer keyboards, so you have Razer greens & Razer oranges.  If you take off your keycap and look at the switch housing, you'll not only see Razer's logo underneath the stem, but Kailh's below it.  Image for proof.

Kailh_0001_jpg_t_original_k_e43bf09a.jpg

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Since i switched to a mechanical keyboard, i never will go back. A very good Mouse is a must have too.

It´s like with all things, its good until you encounter something better. TN < IPS for example :P

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Well, you can game with any control device that works with your PC, so no-ones stopping you.

However, better peripherals can help you.

Mechanical keyboards are not needed, but people PREFER them because of how they feel, how they sound and the durability versus a membrane (regular keyboard). Me personally, I've had the same membrane for almost 8 years, and it still works fine.

Mice can improve your performance, but it also depends on the games you are playing. In games like CS:GO, you will benefit from a mouse with a sensor that is accurate at low sensitivity. I used to play CS:GO with a laser mouse, and when I'd move fast, the crosshair would spazz and point at the sky. You don't want that.

Monitors, once again can improve your performance a little bit. For games like CS:GO, you will benefit from low response time, and high refresh rate panels (TN or VA), to get a quicker and more constant flow of frames. For games that are designed to look pretty, IPS panels really bring out the color, but they don't have as good of a response time and refresh rate.

Headphones are also pretty important in most games. I switched from a headset designed for heavy bass to one that had emphasis on natural sound and a more open soundstage, and it helped me pin point sounds like footsteps and gun shots way better. I'd say sound is the most important thing out of these to focus on.

Mouse mats, are kind of subjective. Some people use a desk, and a lot of people prefer a big cloth mat to plop on their desk. Pick your mouse mat based on your mouse sensitivity. Rough for low, smooth for high.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Mechanical keyboards help games for sure when pressing 3-4 keys at the same time but mice are kind of irrelevant... I have a MS mouse and I am happy with the performance both in cs:go and COD...

It all depends on what you do on your PC. Do you play games semi regularly? You might want to consider a cheap but decent $50ish mouse. If you spend a lot of time typing a mechanical keyboard can be a great investment as the switches in them last ages and feel much better to type on.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mechanical keyboards help games for sure when pressing 3-4 keys at the same time but mice are kind of irrelevant... I have a MS mouse and I am happy with the performance both in cs:go and COD...

Mechanical keys hve nothing to do with N-key-rollover.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

No you dont.

Simple as that as far as CS:GO goes.

For games where APM (actions per minute) is very important (starcraft) the different MX switches can help you execute action faster (keys require less pressure to activate).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE