DominicNikon

any one know if nvidia will be releasing a new gpu this Christmas? im looking to get a GTX 970 FTW or SSC but don't know if i should wait or not

NVIDIA ONLY DESIGN THE GPU NOT THE COOLERS(Minus the Reference Coolers but those are even sold by other Companies that aren't Nvidia!)

COMPANIES LIKE EVGA DESIGN AND PRODUCE IT!

Also what are the rest of the Specs?

Because he had a hard drive.

Should go for a 390 and call it a day.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

NVIDIA ONLY DESIGN THE GPU NOT THE COOLERS(Minus the Reference Coolers but those are even sold by other Companies that aren't Nvidia!)

COMPANIES LIKE EVGA DESIGN AND PRODUCE IT!

Also what are the rest of the Specs?

Technically Nvidia releases it then the companies make the coolers. Nvidia releases it first though,

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Technically Nvidia releases it then the companies make the coolers. Nvidia releases it first though,

I mentioned the Reference Coolers already

geforce-gtx9801.jpg

Because he had a hard drive.

I mentioned the Reference Coolers already

geforce-gtx9801.jpg

Nvidia stills releases it. You don't see Asus releasing a GTX 990. You see them release a 990 with a Strix cooler. Nvidia releases it, then after they do companies release there cooler designs.

Nvidia stills releases it. You don't see Asus releasing a GTX 990. You see them release a 990 with a Strix cooler. Nvidia releases it, then after they do companies release there cooler designs.

Even then, some companies like PNY and Asus release a reference cooler version.

so i should just get a 970?

get what ever is cheaper 390 or 970

so i should just get a 970?

Personal preference, don't think about the future, think about now.

People recommending the 390 often (not always) are thinking about the future, how it performs better in DX12, but those results came from unfinished products...

Personal preference, don't think about the future, think about now.

People recommending the 390 often (not always) are thinking about the future, how it performs better in DX12, but those results came from unfinished products...

so i will be fine if i get a GTX 970 ftw or ssc?

Depends on your resolution...

If you're playing 1080p@60hz then you should be perfectly fine :)

just get the R9 390... the reason we say "get the R9 390" is because unless you OC the GTX 970, the R9 390 is mostly faster (970 do win in some titles, but on average, 390 wins more often)

A good R9 390 would be the Sapphire R9 390 NITRO as it performs well, but is VERY quiet and VERY cool

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100382ntocl

Depends on your resolution...

If you're playing 1080p@60hz then you should be perfectly fine :)

im at 1080p@60hz but i might upgrade to 144hz

just get the R9 390... the reason we say "get the R9 390" is because unless you OC the GTX 970, the R9 390 is mostly faster (970 do win in some titles, but on average, 390 wins more often)

A good R9 390 would be the Sapphire R9 390 NITRO as it performs well, but is VERY quiet and VERY cool

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100382ntocl

thats why i picked the 970 for the overclocking

Do not forget... you can OC a 390 too.... Nvidia isnt the only ones able to do so....

maxwell is a better overclocker and less heat out put. amd has higher heat out put with alot more power needed

maxwell is a better overclocker and less heat out put. amd has higher heat out put with alot more power needed

a lot more?

Power draw of the 970 setup was 379w

Power draw of the 390 setup was 442w

--------------------------------------------------

Difference = 63w

60w = normal household lightbulb

as for "better overclocker"... this is a bit of a misconception among folks, but the MHz is not equal between AMD and Nvidia...

in a AMD card, you generall get lower OC, a good AMD card hits 1200, a golden sample hits 1250 maybe 1300 on water... a "normal" Nvidia card hits 1500MHz....

But does that mean a 1300MHz AMD card would lose to a 1500MHz Nvidia card?

NOPE.... if you got a AMD card to hit 1300MHz core you would wreck anything Nvidia has to offer in that price bracket... The way Maxwell and GCN scales with MHz is totall different... so while Nvidia cards hit A LOT higher frequencies, they "do not get as much in return as FPS pr MHz, as AMD does"

a lot more?

Power draw of the 970 setup was 379w

Power draw of the 390 setup was 442w

--------------------------------------------------

Difference = 63w

60w = normal household lightbulb

as for "better overclocker"... this is a bit of a misconception among folks, but the MHz is not equal between AMD and Nvidia...

in a AMD card, you generall get lower OC, a good AMD card hits 1200, a golden sample hits 1250 maybe 1300 on water... a "normal" Nvidia card hits 1500MHz....

But does that mean a 1300MHz AMD card would lose to a 1500MHz Nvidia card?

NOPE.... if you got a AMD card to hit 1300MHz core you would wreck anything Nvidia has to offer in that price bracket... The way Maxwell and GCN scales with MHz is totall different... so while Nvidia cards hit A LOT higher frequencies, they "do not get as much in return as FPS pr MHz, as AMD does"

jaystwocents got his r9 390 to 1200mhz so that out beats a 970 at 1440mhz or so?

jaystwocents got his r9 390 to 1200mhz so that out beats a 970 at 1440mhz or so?

yup...

this gives you a hint of how "scaling" works for AMD vs Nvidia....

AMDs GPUs is sort of like "Intel i5 vs AMD FX".... you can OC FX to 4.8 or 5GHZ really easily, but just get the i5 to 4GHz and it wrecks the FX again