Skip Uni and get certs?

KirbyTech
Go to solution Solved by ImBleu,

A BA is the new Highschool Leavers Certificate. 

Go to Uni.

Just because you don't have uni does not mean you are left with a shit job. If you really think that is the only option to get a decent paying job you are really wrong. Fuck out west they are still taking lots of people with 2 years collage for tech work in the oil fields and anything oil pays well mostly. 

If only it worked that way lol but reality is a bitch. 

depends on the conditions in your area, oil fields has cut 30% of their labor force here, noticed the price of gas isn't as high as it once was. the chances of you finding work you love and pays well, is greatly decreased compared to someone with a degree in a field they wish to work. the avg college debt in the us is around 30k, its also one of the only things you can't get cleared during a bankruptcy. it's worth the risk if you don't screw around, by all means go to college, i hope everyone has the chance too and, gets student aid or some kind of help. 

I'm just the kind of guy who wants to either don't do it at all or go full nuts.

I don't care about earning 3000€ on a good paying job versus 1500-2000€ on a shitty ones.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I'm just the kind of guy who wants to either don't do it at all or go full nuts.

I don't care about earning 3000€ on a good paying job versus 1500-2000€ on a shitty ones.

if that's your'e delta in pay, i wouldn't worry either. 

if that's your'e delta in pay, i wouldn't worry either. 

The only way to be successful in life is to start your own business. 

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

It would be ludicrous to drop out at the point that you're at. See it through to its conclusion and get it all down on your CV. Yes its possible to go through the industry with no qualifications, even to start a successful business that way (I've worked for two bosses who did exactly that) but it will be significantly more difficult to pass the initial experience trap for most companies.

Certificates count for little against the weight of a degree and greater still is experience, thus we have: Experience > Degrees > Certificates.

Moreover someone who has dropped out will be questioned about it and it will reflect badly... if you even choose to account for the missing years that is - if you don't then its still bad (possibly worse).

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I will give you my feedback as someone who did not finish College but has a solid job in I.T. There are some employers who will take a chance in hiring someone who doesn't have the schooling behind their knowledge as long as you can prove that you know what you're doing.  The interviews I've had with places I've worked since getting out of the retail space have all involved them asking general tech questions, talking to me about computers, having an actual conversation about the kinds of things I would be doing there.  If they can tell you are passionate about what you do, know what you're doing, and most importantly know when you don't know something and are able to ask questions/find out answers for yourself, that's landed me jobs managing 1.) one large business with $1 million I.T. department budgets, and 2.) a contract I.T. business with over 100 small/medium/large scale clients we support.

Just remember, it all depends on what employers are out there looking for people, and what they look for as far as a potential employee goes.  Granted, I am mainly involved in the support desk/general I.T./networking side of things and not at all the programming side, so I could be completely off as far as that side of things go, but again I just wanted to share my experience since I've ran into situations where I needed to find a job but didn't have the schooling to go behind it.

...There are some employers who will take a chance in hiring someone who doesn't have the schooling...

Exactly this and in most places on the planet those are very few and far between. Additionally without any larger formal qualifications (even if there are certificates) most recruiters won't even take you seriously in the beginning; you are essentially worthless to them or worse, would serve to damage already fragile/weak relations with their client companies. In short, they won't want to know.

Just think about the competition you would be up against. Scores of fresh graduates pouring into the industry right out of Universities. It's not like it was 10 years ago, these days literally everyone and their dog is into Software; the industry is over saturated if anything.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Exactly this and in most places on the planet those are very few and far between. Additionally without any larger formal qualifications (even if there are certificates) most recruiters won't even take you seriously in the beginning; you are essentially worthless to them or worse, would serve to damage already fragile/weak relations with their client companies - they don't want to know.

Yeah, I meant to emphasize the risk part of that more.  It really is a risk for them because they have to base a possible life-long career with you based only on the interview process.  I feel like I've been on the lucky side, so while I can't say it's impossible I also can't recommend not doing as much as you can to pad your resume with both schooling and certs.

go to uni! It will be your best time in life, I can't even describe how incredibly fun and interesting people you will meet there! 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

go to uni! It will be your best time in life, I can't even describe how incredibly fun and interesting people you will meet there!

Really? Mostly all of the people I met there were clueless teanagers that I had absolutely nothing in common with.

Do uni, but once you hit second year try to find a company in your desired sector that will take you on one or two days a week (paid or unpaid).

If you can pull it off you'll be miles ahead of the pack.

-snip-

I have met an enormous amount of different people who I had little to nothing in common with, they influenced me with stuff and I influenced them with things. You can still befriend someone even if you don't share any interests with him/her.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Go to university. Anyone who tells you not to is a moron at this point. It doesn't matter how many certifications you rack up, it doesn't matter how much work experience you have, if you go into the IT field without a degree, most likely your salary will be capped. This happened to one of my uncles and he's feeling the strain even now, in this exact field. Getting certs is good and it will help you get low level jobs for now, however it is worth far more to companies if it comes with that nice little sheet of paper saying that you went to a university.

GO TO UNIVERSITY.

I'm assuming your referring to Canada / US. I myself live in the UK and I know it's not much help but University here is actually worthless (to an extent). In the UK, employers want experience and qualifications are just a bonus. I'm currently doing an Apprenticeship which provides me with work (gaining work experience), training (qualifications ranging from MTA to University degree level) and not to mention, it's 66% cheaper. I know what you're saying that Degrees help with higher salary paid jobs but in my case, my apprenticeship provides the same level of training but in a better overall experience.

Bottom line, I'll be doing an apprenticeship for the next 4 years however in the time; I'll receive 18 + vendor qualifications, Level 3, 4, 5 and 6 which count as a university degree not to mention, while I'm doing all this, I'm getting work experience in the specific field, being paid and all of it comes at a much cheaper price than University. 

So to counter your statement, you're not a moron if you don't go university. If there are better options out there, take them. 

Cheers

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

So to counter your statement, you're not a moron if you don't go university. If there are better options out there, take them. 

+1

Speaking from experience, there are many paths to success... the key is to be determined and never stop trying to learn new skills.