760 vs 7950

Cujjoz

So I was about to buy this EVGA supercocked 760,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

but was told that a 7950 performs better for slightly more $.

So question is, which should I purchase? I plan on overclocking and plan to do gaming, some 3d rendering, and some photoshop work.

Also, could anyone recommend a 7950 for around the same price point that would be a quality card such as the EVGA?

I use a 7950 and I love it! Not sure about the 760. Ive seen in benchmarks that the 7950 performs slightly faster. Kind of depends. If you find either one cheaper at a different site then get it. I imagine that the 760 is still an excellent card

Nzxt Phantom 410 - I5 4670k stock - 7950 vapor x @ 1000mhz/1250mhz - Msi Z87 G45 - 8gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1600mhz - TX650 - Benq XL2420t - Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Deathadder 2013

this in my opinion is one of the best 7950's around http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161429

the cooler is a total beast and i would take the 7950 over the 760, better price to performance ratio

Edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003 this one is also a really good choice :)

I forgot to mention that I also plan on doing SLI or Crossfire in the future with whatever card I buy.

Then go for a single more powerful GPU, rather than going for a multi-GPU config.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

but was told that a 7950 performs better for slightly more $.

More $? You mean less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Get the 7950. It's cheaper, has more vram, and overclocks better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I forgot to mention that I also plan on doing SLI or Crossfire in the future with whatever card I buy.

Always better to get the more powerful single card. But if you really want to then go ahead.

Nzxt Phantom 410 - I5 4670k stock - 7950 vapor x @ 1000mhz/1250mhz - Msi Z87 G45 - 8gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1600mhz - TX650 - Benq XL2420t - Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Deathadder 2013

Also, I'm looking for a card around the $250 mark.

Wont the 9XXX series cost much more than that on release?

I agree, I would wait for the next generation of cards.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Okay, I might be wrong but this is what I read.  But here you go:

If you play wow and/or do not want to overclock, a GTX 760 is a better buy

If you want to overclock, def buy an HD 7950.  

<3

Steph

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

And because they're so close at stock, overclocking the 7950 to the same clock would cause it to outperform the 760 by quite a bit. But pricing is a factor, and the 760 on Newegg(USA) is quite a bit cheaper than the 7950. The cards I'm comparing are ASUS DirectCU II for both.

Radeon HD 7950

GTX 760

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

And because they're so close at stock, overclocking the 7950 to the same clock would cause it to outperform the 760 by quite a bit. But pricing is a factor, and the 760 on Newegg(USA) is quite a bit cheaper than the 7950. The cards I'm comparing are ASUS DirectCU II for both.

Radeon HD 7950

GTX 760

That ASUS 7950 you linked is Hated by pretty much everyone in my 79series club..Most are voltage locked now and don't OC well...

My cards are amazing and cool and OC like champs..And are cheaper..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161429

If you want to go ask members about that ASUS 7950 here is a link..But be prepared to get yelled at cause they hate it so much... :D

http://www.overclock.net/t/1196856/official-amd-radeon-hd-7950-7970-7990-owners-thread

So my vote is for 7950..

Get one of these or this.  That direct cu II 7950 is way too expensive.  You can get a 7970 for that price.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

You can get a 7970 for that price.

Not on Newegg.

That ASUS 7950 you linked is Hated by pretty much everyone in my 79series club..Most are voltage locked now and don't OC well...

My cards are amazing and cool and OC like champs..And are cheaper..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161429

And how cool does your 7950 run in relation to ASUS version? And overclocking is a chancy process. You can't say "Buy this card because I bought it and it overclocks well." That's about as effective as me saying "my 3570K overclocks decently, so yours will too."

And how cool does your 7950 run in relation to ASUS version? And overclocking is a chancy process. You can't say "Buy this card because I bought it and it overclocks well." That's about as effective as me saying "my 3570K overclocks decently, so yours will too."

You are right about OCing..But there are 50 guys in the 79series club that have had and got rid of that ASUS card..I know ASUS makes good cards but IMO they failed on the 79series..

Here is what one guy did to his card rather then deal with RMA cause he just didn't want a crappy card returned to him..

post-14027-0-13530500-1376100240.jpeg

And mine two cards are at 20% fan right now at 32c with a 28.4 ambient..And under full gaming in BF3 hit 62c max..

Because it didn't overclock well? You wouldn't be able to RMA it anyways. I also looked up a review of the Matrix 7970 on Guru3D and it got a Top Pick award. There were no complaints about its overclocking capabilities either.

.I mean you thought the H80i was a better cooler then a H100i from a review.. :lol:

This is completely off topic to the thread and is irrelevant. Even so, you just believe what Linus has to say without actually testing things? He isn't the god of reviewers.

at stock clocks with current non beta drivers a 760 wins but with a 7950 with a decent cooler (or if you really dont care if your pc sounds like a plane) than you can get it up 300mhz on core and voltage, a 760 doesn't oc as well.  BF4 is supposedly supposed to be optimized for AMD cards initially so for the first week or two its out you should get a little more performance until nvidia comes up with a driver fix.   right now you can get a 7950 for way less than a 760, if you bought a 760 now it will probably be $80 cheaper in a few months as a 7950 probably won't get any cheaper than it is now.

This is completely off topic to the thread and is irrelevant. Even so, you just believe what Linus has to say without actually testing things? He isn't the god of reviewers.

God of unboxers*

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

God of unboxers*

He still does reviews.