College laptop suggestions

Sicarius

Hi all. I just started back at college for another 2 years and have had enough of fighting for a laptop in the library or getting a half-charged 13 inch laptop from my college. I decided to buy a laptop to use at college, while I am away from my PC at home. I will be using it for working on MS office documents, programming (visual studio, web storm) and some VERY light Photoshop (making simple logos etc). I have roughly £650 to spend but would be willing to go to £700 if it was REALLY worth it. The keyboard is really important to me for obvious reasons, I can't stand mushy cheap keyboards. And an SSD is not too important to me as I can always swap one in from my desktop or buy one at a later date and I'd really like a 15" screen. I'd appreciate any help with this as I am not familiar with the current laptop market! 

Thanks!

Hi all. I just started back at college for another 2 years and have had enough of fighting for a laptop in the library or getting a half-charged 13 inch laptop from my college. I decided to buy a laptop to use at college, while I am away from my PC at home. I will be using it for working on MS office documents, programming (visual studio, web storm) and some VERY light Photoshop (making simple logos etc). I have roughly £650 to spend but would be willing to go to £700 if it was REALLY worth it. The keyboard is really important to me for obvious reasons, I can't stand mushy cheap keyboards. And an SSD is not too important to me as I can always swap one in from my desktop or buy one at a later date. I'd appreciate any help with this as I am not familiar with the current laptop market! 

Thanks!

The one in my signature is a pretty decent one for word processing and light photoshop as well as being a capable gaming machine too :P

Or the Surface 3 / Pro is a great choice too :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The one in my signature is a pretty decent one for word processing and light photoshop as well as being a capable gaming machine too :P

Or the Surface 3 / Pro is a great choice too :)

Thanks foe the suggestion! What's the keyboard like to type on? Is there a nice amount of key travel? Also what is the battery like?

Thanks foe the suggestion! What's the keyboard like to type on? Is there a nice amount of key travel? Also what is the battery like?

They keyboards decent, not the greatest, has nice qulaity to it feels pretty solid - not steel solid - but still perfectly good for typing on; I think anyway :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

-snip-

Personally this video was all wrong. The majority of laptops were too expensive like seriously what student has enough money to purchase a £1000 laptop? i could only just afford th eone I bought with my maintenance loan.

That and he focussed more on what has the best components, all had intel, rather than what is the best for word processing and documents etc within a price range. How it should have been was he goes into a store looks at the laptops with a mindset and the pricepoint of a student; usually around £700 MAX.

Students aren't made of money lol

The surface was the best on there out of the ones he picked but the surface 3 is just as good, if not better for students, as it saves quite a bit of money which is what we need.

I did check that video, but none of them are viable for the money. The only one I could even consider is the Yoga 3 but for the money you're really not getting much. 

They keyboards decent, not the greatest, has nice qulaity to it feels pretty solid - not steel solid - but still perfectly good for typing on; I think anyway :)

I see. Thanks!

Any other suggestions? :S

Personally this video was all wrong. The majority of laptops were too expensive like seriously what student has enough money to purchase a £1000 laptop? i could only just afford th eone I bought with my maintenance loan.

That and he focussed more on what has the best components, all had intel, rather than what is the best for word processing and documents etc within a price range. How it should have been was he goes into a store looks at the laptops with a mindset and the pricepoint of a student; usually around £700 MAX.

Students aren't made of money lol

The surface was the best on there out of the ones he picked but the surface 3 is just as good, if not better for students, as it saves quite a bit of money which is what we need.

£700 = 1500 CAN dollars

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

£700 = 1500 CAN dollars

But in the UK the laptops, the Asus and MSI, are both priced at £1000+

What about these two? Ignoring the price difference (I can get the thinkpad a little cheaper) which of these two would you guys choose? Is the keyboard the same on both laptops does anyone know? As I heard the thinkpad range has the best keybaords. Plus the thinkpad is very easily upgradeable.

http://www.ebuyer.com/700316-lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e550-laptop-20df004uuk

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-z51-15-6-laptop-black-10134863-pdt.html