Best Watercooling Kit--Swiftech or XSPC?

Hi All--

I am looking to get into Liquid Cooling for my computer (Mainly for something to do, and something to look cool ;) ) I have read the Tom's Hardware sticky and watched the Tech Tips episode on WC-ing, and have decided that for now, a Kit is the best path for me to take. I have the i5 3570k and a GTX 660 right now (Planning to upgrade my GPU in the next cycle to either a GTX 800 series or to a Radeon 8000 series next year) At that point I will add a GPU to my loop.

I have look at all of the recommended kits on the Tom's Hardware sticky and have found two that are about the same price, but I can't find comparisons anywhere... The two I have been looking at are the 

AND

H2O-X20 Elite Series (120mm x 3 version)

Which would be best and most reliable? I would like to overclock my CPU, and when added, my GPU. I also like good customer service behind it. Or is there something better for the money? I live in the US, but am in Michigan so NCIX.ca shipping isn't too bad if an H220 would be better for me.

Thanks,

AM98

Do not buy kits. There are various reasons for this. I should start off by saying there is nothing bad with a kit. It will work properly and would will have a loop by the end of it. However, in kits the parts you get are typically low-end. I would never recommend a non-laing pump for a loop. Laing pumps are known for being quiet and reliable working for years without any issues. This is just an example. Kits tend to have lower quality everything. Secondly when buying a kit you will not be able to prioritise what you want in a loop. Maybe you are focusing on performance, maybe on looks? A kit will not give you this choice.

Most importantly a kit will not let you learn. Believe me when I say water cooling is a big investment, not only of money but also of time. If you feel that taking your time to look up components and make a parts list and doing research is something you would rather not do then you will be in for a shock later on. If you ever have a problem with your loop you will be much better placed after you have done your research and after selecting your own parts.

Therefore I advise you to go to the two stickys HERE and HERE and spend time reading about watercooling, then make a parts list and draw a diagram of what your loop is going to be, then ask us to review your parts and let you know what we think of the parts you have chosen.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Do not buy kits. There are various reasons for this. I should start off by saying there is nothing bad with a kit. It will work properly and would will have a loop by the end of it. However, in kits the parts you get are typically low-end. I would never recommend a non-laing pump for a loop. Laing pumps are known for being quiet and reliable working for years without any issues. This is just an example. Kits tend to have lower quality everything. Secondly when buying a kit you will not be able to prioritise what you want in a loop. Maybe you are focusing on performance, maybe on looks? A kit will not give you this choice.

Most importantly a kit will not let you learn. Believe me when I say water cooling is a big investment, not only of money but also of time. If you feel that taking your time to look up components and make a parts list and doing research is something you would rather not do then you will be in for a shock later on. If you ever have a problem with your loop you will be much better placed after you have done your research and after selecting your own parts.

Therefore I advise you to go to the two stickys HERE and HERE and spend time reading about watercooling, then make a parts list and draw a diagram of what your loop is going to be, then ask us to review your parts and let you know what we think of the parts you have chosen.

Ok, I will read those and put together a list. Any specific brands to get or to avoid?

Ok, I will read those and put together a list. Any specific brands to get or to avoid?

Don't worry about that, if you pick something you should avoid, we will tell you.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Don't worry about that, if you pick something you should avoid, we will tell you.

Ok, thanks, I had read the first sticky, and then I found "Ghost's Low Budget Water Cooling Loop Plan" Greatest thread ever. The case I will use will probably be the Switch 810. Classy looking and great WC support for a good price.

EDIT: Also, is an XSPC Bay-Res and D5 pump ok?

Ok, thanks, I had read the first sticky, and then I found "Ghost's Low Budget Water Cooling Loop Plan" Greatest thread ever. The case I will use will probably be the Switch 810. Classy looking and great WC support for a good price.

EDIT: Also, is an XSPC Bay-Res and D5 pump ok?

I would avoid the black version for now. There have been issues in the past with it and although there has been a "v2" released they haven't been out long enough to know they don't have the same or similar issues. The clear acrylic version is perfectly fine.

I would avoid the black version for now. There have been issues in the past with it and although there has been a "v2" released they haven't been out long enough to know they don't have the same or similar issues. The clear acrylic version is perfectly fine.

Also, in regard to my post above, what fans would be the best?

the pump combo that you have its not a reliable in the long run because you don't have a lang D5 pump they are one of the most reliable pumps out their this is the equivalent res with the diffrent pump sorry it doesn't have the clear bar at the top if you really want it keep the one you have http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16144/ex-res-372/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_Black_Reservoir_-_w_D5_Variant_Pump_Installed.html?tl=g30c107s152

the pump combo that you have its not a reliable in the long run because you don't have a lang D5 pump they are one of the most reliable pumps out their this is the equivalent res with the diffrent pump sorry it doesn't have the clear bar at the top if you really want it keep the one you have http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16144/ex-res-372/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_Black_Reservoir_-_w_D5_Variant_Pump_Installed.html?tl=g30c107s152

But isn't the Laing DDC as good as the D5?

But isn't the Laing DDC as good as the D5?

it can be, but the D5 is more powerful and im pretty sure has a long mean time before failure

it can be, but the D5 is more powerful and im pretty sure has a long mean time before failure

Using PerformancePC or Frozen CPU, what pump and res separate for about the same price or a bit more would you recommend. It can be a regular res vs a bay res, as a regular res seems to be easier to fill. What ones would you suggest?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21014/ex-pmp-245/EK_D5_X-Top_Pump_Top_w_D5_Vario_Pump_-_Black_Acetal_EK-D5_Vario_X-TOP_-_Plexi_incl_pump.html?tl=g30c107s1802 this one looks pretty good on its own, this one is the stock pump on its own http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2128/ex-pmp-27/Swiftech_MCP655-B_12v_Water_Pump_w_38_Conversion_Kit_317_GPH.html?tl=g30c107s1802

you can get this res http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16074/ex-res-367/Bitspower_Dual_Single_D5_Top_Upgrade_Kit_150-_Clear_BP-D5TOPUK150AC-CLCL.html?tl=g30c107s152 as a top upgrade kit which means that it will go ontop of the pump will work with the last pump that i included above. basicly get whatever res fits your budget and what fits your space requirements