want to know if it can be done

adnartion

Hey guys, at home i have 2 diffrent nettworks going of the same router so that i can play while the rest of the family is watching videos or streaming (just putt a limit on how much the rest of the family can use of the broadband) :D .. and since i also have 2 wireless cards in my computer i was wondering if it is possible to dedicate one connection to f.eks google chrome and the other to a specific game? if it is can anyone write down a simple step by step guide on how to do it? :)

post-9666-0-00635800-1376060277.png

Im guessing you'd have to use a program, which in turn would probably introduce latency but thats just my idea, following too to see if possible

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I don't believe you can, but my best guess would be what Theo said, you'd have to find a program (which may or may not exist, I don't know).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Im guessing you'd have to use a program, which in turn would probably introduce latency but thats just my idea, following too to see if possible

Latency wouldn't be a disaster. He's already on wireless, so he has a lot of it anyways

that and my internett isnt the best anyways 2891212475.png

but i cant really drag a TP trought 2 floors and a loot of closed doors... and i wasn`t allowed to make holes for the cable eighter :o

but still it would be cool if i could drag a cable and set that line to do just some of my games and the other(limited one) to do a stream or something like that, guess i was just dreaming of a easy solution to my bad internett :/ 

I don't think you can. Also, there isn't really any point in doing what you're asking for. You wouldn't get any higher bandwidth from it.

that and my internett isnt the best anyways 2891212475.png

but i cant really drag a TP trought 2 floors and a loot of closed doors... and i wasn`t allowed to make holes for the cable eighter :o

but still it would be cool if i could drag a cable and set that line to do just some of my games and the other(limited one) to do a stream or something like that, guess i was just dreaming of a easy solution to my bad internett :/ 

Power line would be a better alternative to WIFI providing that the internal wiring is ok. 

Power line would be a better alternative to WIFI providing that the internal wiring is ok.

That's not always true. My WiFi performs the same as my ethernet.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

On the pc level - no, on a router level - yes, you could have 2 connections and route one kind of traffic through one connection and other through other with the use of routing marks and L7. However you need a router that could do that not sure if dd-wrt's can handle that.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

On the pc level - no, on a router level - yes, you could have 2 connections and route one kind of traffic through one connection and other through other with the use of routing marks and L7. However you need a router that could do that not sure if dd-wrt's can handle that.

I'm pretty sure DD-WRT can't.

What you can do is set up a proxy server that uses the different gateway and connect only the programs that you want on that connection, all the other traffic goes trough the normal gateway.

what about port forwarding ?

That's not really how port forwarding works. Or well, it could kind of work but you would still not have any control over which NIC you send traffic with from your computer, it would only change which NIC you use to receive data. Even then, it's still not really useful in any way.

OP, why do you want to use one interface for let's say Chrome and one for a game? It won't really have any benefit.

Could you use two router to do it, if one wifi was to go another router and then that router was connected to your main router? so have two router for each of the wifi and then both both going to main one?

No, because it's still on the host side that things gets weird. It is probably possible to do what OP is asking for, but you'll need some third party hack to get it to work, and it might not work very well etc. I don't really get the point of doing it though. What benefit would you get from running one program to router A, and one program to router B?

If this is all on the same network connection than its pointless. No matter what, you'll still be hitting the max speed of your connection. Just because you have two connections to the same network doesn't mean you get double the speed.

15" MBP TB

That's not really how port forwarding works. Or well, it could kind of work but you would still not have any control over which NIC you send traffic with from your computer, it would only change which NIC you use to receive data. Even then, it's still not really useful in any way.

OP, why do you want to use one interface for let's say Chrome and one for a game? It won't really have any benefit.

well the main reason is that i cant load a youtube video and play LoL because of the 1000 ping i get... thats why we got the router set upp to have my family on the limited line wile i play on the non limited one so i always have some bandwith for the game even if they are downloading stuff. so would like to be on the limited line and watch a stream while i play LoL on the other unlimited one if you get what i am trying to explain.. i am bad at explaining things in english x) 

well the main reason is that i cant load a youtube video and play LoL because of the 1000 ping i get... thats why we got the router set upp to have my family on the limited line wile i play on the non limited one so i always have some bandwith for the game even if they are downloading stuff. so would like to be on the limited line and watch a stream while i play LoL on the other unlimited one if you get what i am trying to explain.. i am bad at explaining things in english x) 

I think I understand what you mean, but there are betters ways of dealing with that. You could try using QoS on your router, you could look for options to limit the bandwidth used by the stream (in settings, maybe lower the quality and so on) and things like that.

If you want lower ping then stop using wireless and start using wires. Even on a very good wireless network, with next to no other traffic, wireless still adds ~50ms delay. If you got several devices on the network then it goes up to probably about 100ms delay. If you then throw in things like maybe your router isn't that good, your neighbors might have wireless networks (assuming you live in an apartment), people might be using the microwave which can corrupt packets and so on, you might end up with 150ms extra delay because of wireless.

You could try using QoS

Ya, I would definately look in to using QoS instead.  It exsists to solve problems like this.

I think I understand what you mean, but there are betters ways of dealing with that. You could try using QoS on your router, you could look for options to limit the bandwidth used by the stream (in settings, maybe lower the quality and so on) and things like that.

If you want lower ping then stop using wireless and start using wires. Even on a very good wireless network, with next to no other traffic, wireless still adds ~50ms delay. If you got several devices on the network then it goes up to probably about 100ms delay. If you then throw in things like maybe your router isn't that good, your neighbors might have wireless networks (assuming you live in an apartment), people might be using the microwave which can corrupt packets and so on, you might end up with 150ms extra delay because of wireless.

That's not true. I run on Wi-Fi and my ping (on speedtest) is the same as on Ethernet. I connect to a BF3 somewhere in central USA (I'm in Canada) with a 21Ms ping. 

I'm going to point this out again OP with an analogy: You're trying to get as much water as possible, so you think, hmm, maybe if I add two pipes, I'll get more water!

So you go, and you add a Y-junction to the 5" water pipe you get from the city. Splitting your water into two different 5" pipes.

Then you say "wait, I need more water, I'm going to fix this!"

So you change out one of the pipes and now you have the 5" pipe going to another 5" and a 2" pipe.

Still with me?

No matter WHAT you do, you will not be getting any more water out of that 5". You're limited by whatever amount of water the city sends you. You can't pull more water than the city gives out.

Now, that's the same as what happens with your internet. Instead of water, it's data. But no matter how you divide your network (pipes), it will still only be able to receive that limited amount of data at a time (water).

15" MBP TB

That's not true. I run on Wi-Fi and my ping (on speedtest) is the same as on Ethernet. I connect to a BF3 somewhere in central USA (I'm in Canada) with a 21Ms ping.

You should have at least slightly worse, especially if there are more than 1 wireless device on the network.

Ehhh.... Never mind I just realized that I looked at the TTL when I did the test. I feel really stupid now. I get an average of 27 ms when I ping on my LAN. I got 1ms over Ethernet so it's pretty fair to say that wireless adds about 20 ms if you are using fairly high end wireless N and is alone or almost alone on the network. Each extra device on the network dramatically increases the latency as well, since wireless is a shared medium and only 1 device can send at a time.

Good water analogy.

You should have at least slightly worse, especially if there are more than 1 wireless device on the network.

Ehhh.... Never mind I just realized that I looked at the TTL when I did the test. I feel really stupid now. I get an average of 27 ms when I ping on my LAN. I got 1ms over Ethernet so it's pretty fair to say that wireless adds about 20 ms if you are using fairly high end wireless N and is alone or almost alone on the network. Each extra device on the network dramatically increases the latency as well, since wireless is a shared medium and only 1 device can send at a time.

Good water analogy.

Nah, I have an ASUS N66u, so the Wifi is great. We usually have at least two computers on at once (streaming YouTube, Netflix etc). On ethernet I get 7ms ping, on wifi I get 7-8ms ping (it varies abit more, ethernet is almost always 7ms, but WiFi is sometimes 8ms).

Also, I'd say pinging your own LAN with WiFi is a double hit. You send the packet over Wi-Fi, it receives then sends to the target, which receives and sends back (all over Wifi). 

15" MBP TB

Also, I'd say pinging your own LAN with WiFi is a double hit. You send the packet over Wi-Fi, it receives then sends to the target, which receives and sends back (all over Wifi). 

Yes but the same can be said for Ethernet (but then again, since the impact would be lower over Ethernet the gap would be bigger). Anyway, wifi should add extra latency, it's just how it works. Not as much as I said in my post though.