ASUS's GX700 Laptop: Watercooled with 4K Display

HKZeroFive

I can't believe all the people bashing this thing. It is a great idea. I have wanted to make something like this for a long time. I did have a laptop for a while that I had a custom water cooler on. It is great for someone who needs the "portability" of a laptop but wants to game as well. Lots of people buy the big desktop replacement laptops....well now those people can have more performance out of their laptop when it is at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybodies missing the most important part. THATS A 4K 17" screen. Can't wait for it to start popping up in dual-gpu laptops.

The thing with laptops is that right now you can either get one with a 4K display and a shitty GPU (usually the 960M) or one with a good GPU and a shitty 1080p display resolution, for the latter case look at the MSI GT80 Titan SLI, that thing has got TWO freaking 980Ms, which according to some benchmarks can compete against a Titan X, yet has only a 18" 1080p display!

The GX700 (and also the G752) offers both a 4K display AND a desktop 980, meaning that's the first true 4K gaming laptop, since the ones before might have been 4k, but surely weren't for gaming.

The thing with laptops is that right now you can either get one with a 4K display and a shitty GPU (usually the 960M) or one with a good GPU and a shitty 1080p display resolution, for the latter case look at the MSI GT80 Titan SLI, that thing has got TWO freaking 980Ms, which according to some benchmarks can compete against a Titan X, yet has only a 18" 1080p display!

The GX700 (and also the G752) offers both a 4K display AND a desktop 980, meaning that's the first true 4K gaming laptop, since the ones before might have been 4k, but surely weren't for gaming.

But the 980 sucks at 4k. The 980 ti still isn't strong enough for 4k. 980 sli is the lowest I would go.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

But the 980 sucks at 4k. The 980 ti still isn't strong enough for 4k. 980 sli is the lowest I would go.

You know right that there are others games out there other than the triple A which came out this year right?

You right that many people wouldn't mind playing a game from 2-4 years ago in 4k? (when that resolution is available in the game)

Just saying.

You know right that there are others games out there other than the triple A which came out this year right?

You right that many people wouldn't mind playing a game from 2-4 years ago in 4k? (when that resolution is available in the game)

Just saying.

Considering even non modded skyrim barely hits 60 fps on 4k and that is a 4 year old game.... It's still not good enough unless you are playing moba's or indies in which case the 980m and 970m would also be plenty for 4k.

It doesn't make sense at all, and I would much rather see 1440p panels in laptops (esp g-sync 1440p) which is a super nice sweet spot for 980 (and with new titles 980ti) gaming.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

f36e8ec82e5bc14c1c03afbaaa1f68354957ca40

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Considering even non modded skyrim barely hits 60 fps on 4k and that is a 4 year old game.... It's still not good enough unless you are playing moba's or indies in which case the 980m and 970m would also be plenty for 4k.

It doesn't make sense at all, and I would much rather see 1440p panels in laptops (esp g-sync 1440p) which is a super nice sweet spot for 980 (and with new titles 980ti) gaming.

Hold on a second, you little master race spoiled brat.

First, I never heard of a laptop with a monitor with a refresh ratio of more than 60Hz.

Second, many players are more than happy if their framerate does't fall under the 30fps.

The thing with laptops is that right now you can either get one with a 4K display and a shitty GPU (usually the 960M) or one with a good GPU and a shitty 1080p display resolution, for the latter case look at the MSI GT80 Titan SLI, that thing has got TWO freaking 980Ms, which according to some benchmarks can compete against a Titan X, yet has only a 18" 1080p 

Is it inferior to 4K and QHD? Yes. Is 1080p a shitty res? Absolutely not. It may be a standard atm, but that doesn't mean that it's bad, not even close. If a game looks bad at 1080p, that is not the "resolution's fault".

Hold on a second, you little master race spoiled brat.

First, I never heard of a laptop with a monitor with a refresh ratio of more than 60Hz.

Second, many players are more than happy if their framerate does't fall under the 30fps.

He is not a "little master race spoiled brat" because he wants the best combo of resolution+GPU+FPS, he is more of a realist. 

There are laptops that can overclock it's display refresh rate to 75Hz. Some are reporting even 100 Hz. And I may be wrong, but I think Linus had a video about a laptop that had a 75Hz refresh rate out of the box.
People that are buying stuff like this are (usually) not the ones that want compromises for that amount of money, so many of them won't call the product successful if their FPS stay above 30 (I know 3 owners of G750 and G751 so talking from my experience).

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I think it's definitely a stupid cool idea...  but I'll let you guys choose the appropriate adjective.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

Hold on a second, you little master race spoiled brat.

All the g-sync panels are 75 Hz.

I'm glad they can be happy there but stuffering doesn't make the experience good and if 30 fps is all you need again then the 980m will be fine.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Is it inferior to 4K and QHD? Yes. Is 1080p a shitty res? Absolutely not. It may be a standard atm, but that doesn't mean that it's bad, not even close. If a game looks bad at 1080p, that is not the "resolution's fault".

He is not a "little master race spoiled brat" because he wants the best combo of resolution+GPU+FPS, he is more of a realist. 

There are laptops that can overclock it's display refresh rate to 75Hz. Some are reporting even 100 Hz. And I may be wrong, but I think Linus had a video about a laptop that had a 75Hz refresh rate out of the box.

People that are buying stuff like this are (usually) not the ones that want compromises for that amount of money, so many of them won't call the product successful if their FPS stay above 30 (I know 3 owners of G750 and G751 so talking from my experience).

1) You obliviously missed the entire point, when you're selling an high end laptop which costs more than 2k throwing in there a simple 1080p makes it reallly shitty, basically person interested in video editing right now has to choice between a good GPU or a good display

2) yes he is, console players have to deal with an average below the 20fps, so yes whoever whines above being under 60fps on a device he can carry around is a brat, period.

I can't believe all the people bashing this thing. It is a great idea. I have wanted to make something like this for a long time. I did have a laptop for a while that I had a custom water cooler on. It is great for someone who needs the "portability" of a laptop but wants to game as well. Lots of people buy the big desktop replacement laptops....well now those people can have more performance out of their laptop when it is at home.

It's how it goes people because its a new idea and linus or tekyndicTe or hardware canuks will say itd great and then everyone will want on.

Personally I think its a nice idea but with the expense of both the dock and laptop there had better be an upgrade path like the msi titan

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

• 2 months later...

Well guys, I can tell you that this is one hell of an art piece. Its really thin for a gaming laptop (at least for one with desktop 980). It comes with three "speed" presets: on battery, so CPU at 3.2 GHz and a locked GPU at about the performance of an 970M, the you've got plugged in mode, which lets you turbo up to 3.6Ghz on the CPU and get the same level of performance as a 980M and then you've got Dock Mode, which lets you OC the CPU up to 4GHZ and get the GPU running at full speed (you can even oc it, I got it to run at +140 on the core clock and +300 on the memory clock). Its really quiet too, unless you're running the radiator at full blast. Its unbearable, the fans on the radiator rev up to such high noise levels. But even when you OC the GPU, it doesn't run hotter than 50/55 degrees. 

That is an all-in-one with attached keyboard, not a laptop.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

GX700_575px.jpg

Looks like something I'd stay clear from and just grab something a little less extreme. I'm really struggling to find a reason why you'd want to get this over other gaming laptops because that thing on the back looks like something you don't want to carry around, even though I believe that will be some sort of dock. Not going to attempt to imagine the pricing on this. But this is the first closed liquid cooling laptop I believe, so props to ASUS for that...

Sauce: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9585/asus-refreshes-rog-laptops-with-g752-and-liquid-cooled-gx700-series

More Info About The Dock

Just browsed around on Guru3D and found this:

Sigh. This just spells disaster. More specifically, a 'coolant spilt all over the floor' disaster.

Dock Info Sauce: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-rog-gx700-laptop-has-liquid-cooling.html

This actually looks like a really cool idea.  Honestly, all I need my current notebook for on the go is heavily multithreaded workloads, I only really game at home.  Seems like a win-win.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30