Linux circle-jerk thread.

From Linux mint to Arch + Cinnamon and I'll stick with it forever. I tried ubuntu/debian, fedora...etc and nothing as stable as Archlinux! 

(It isn't something imposible to learn if you come from ubuntu! Definitely the best community you'll ever encounter)

Welcome to the forums.

My cousin is running ArchLinux and keeps on praising it. But I am on my way too, went from Mandriva>Ubuntu>Mint>LMDE>Debian. I think Arch might be next. Definetly a great distro with a dedicated community.

This is what I don't understand. If you're going to pirate something why pay $25 for it? If you're OK with buying a key that is most probably stolen just get it for free.

Haha, I have never understood buying keys off the Microsoft software swap on reddit. But it's cheaper and it works! Well just using Daz Loader or KMSpico is even cheaper and it works too.

I'm a big Ubuntu fan, though I hate Unity and always set it to go back to the Gnome2 desktop, which I think is the best desktop I have ever used. I cut my teeth on Slackware which was awesome in the 90s and early 2000s (Linux was a must as a CS student in those days when we worked so much in C), but they stuck far too long on the 2.4 kernel and the bootscripts took forever. I used to love Linux From Scratch too; it ran so much faster than Windows XP or any Linux distro, even Gentoo. Though what a pain to initially build all the way from binutils up to X11 and then Mozilla. But Ubuntu makes it so much easier to work with than any distro I used before. And yeah, you don't need expensive hardware. My Athlon64 x2  with 4GB RAM was great for running a non-gaming system for years, even running heavy duty programs like MATLAB. I still find Ubuntu to be the easiest to use operating system I have ever had.

Currently running minus (rebeca) on an aincient desktop. (Sometimes i fire up my raspberry pi 2 nas)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Lets make a poll somewhere:

Is it easier to set up and maintain

1.Ubuntu

2.Windows

The problems with viruses and updating all programs... not worth the 100$ for me. Sudo apt-get update

I feel like Ubuntu is simpler to setup and leave with someone like your parents (as long as you know what they need...like flash, firefox, a music program, etc.)

My mom uses Mint and I put an update script on her desktop and she clicks it every once in a while to update it...easy :D

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

On my desktop, I dual boot Hardened Gentoo for work and Windows 10 for gaming. I have it set up so I can boot the Linux partition in VMware Player while I'm using Windows, so I never have to leave Linux. My mum uses ElementaryOS on her laptop and my grandma has a Chromebook. They love it.

I use i3 with dmenu as my window manager. I found it to be the only tiling window manager that I was happy with out of the box and I'm the most productive in it. I did not even feel the need to mess around with the default keybindings, they're great. I think every Linux user should try it at some point.

In a few months, I'm planning to build a NAS that doubles as an HTPC and a Steam in-house streaming box. It will most likely be based on the ASRock C2750D4I motherboard (12 SATA ports!) in the Fractal Design Node 804 case. It's gonna run Gentoo (obviously) with OpenZFS for the filesystem. Never been a huge fan of FreeNAS. Everything that it does I can do myself in the terminal and the UI simply gets in the way.

Linux expert.

SteamOS on a super old desktop for shits and gigs

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Work on the PC : Windows 7 (sadly I need to use proprietary hardware and software ... at least for now)

Gaming on the PC : Mint 17.1 Cinnamon

Laptop : Mint 17.1 Cinnamon

Netbook : Changes every so often. Debian KDE for now, but I'm not too crazy about KDE really. Probably going to have a go at Arch next.

Arch with i3 on my desktop,

Arch with i3 on my work desktop,

Arch with i3 on my laptop,

Debian on my VPS.

Ubuntu 14.04 with KDE installed on my desktop.

Ubuntu 15.04 on my laptop.

Although I really like Elementary and Solus Project.

Lord of Helium.