NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 TI 6GB GDDR5 Overclocking?

Khajiit Dealer
Go to solution Solved by swimsphinx,

In a non reference design it will mostly come down to the silicon lottery being each card has its own limit that can vary wildly, it seems the average card can run 1480 stable with a decent few pushing 1510-1530 and it tapers off from there. While its not a guarantee i would expect around a ~1500 core clock speed for any custom 980ti, although i have seen people with just bad cards that cant get over 1450

Hey guys, I was wondering how far I could overclock this card without risking it breaking. When overclocked to its max (according to that Linus Tech Tips video) it basically runs like a Titan, so I would really appreciate some aid here. Thanks! 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

It depends, not all 980ti's are made the same, some overclock really well and others not so well. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

In a non reference design it will mostly come down to the silicon lottery being each card has its own limit that can vary wildly, it seems the average card can run 1480 stable with a decent few pushing 1510-1530 and it tapers off from there. While its not a guarantee i would expect around a ~1500 core clock speed for any custom 980ti, although i have seen people with just bad cards that cant get over 1450

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D

It depends, not all 980ti's are made the same, some overclock really well and others not so well. 

It's the one from this video

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

No, every chip that is produced is not the same, that's how the manufacturing process works. That's what silicon lottery is. I'm not talking about different brands. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

If you mean that it looks like that (reference design from nvidia) then youll most likely be limited more by thermals than the chips true overclocking potential.

Although like myself and others have stated above each chip is unique in the clockspeeds it can achieve which we typically refer to the "silicon lottery" which will throughout your time buying and overclocking graphics cards (and CPUs but were in the GPU section) will be the largest factor in how well the card overclocks

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D

Basically here is how it works.

If on reference, temp target that shit with a new loud fan curve:

If non-reference, throw voltage to +.87 mV, power target up to max, throw core to +250-300 (this is where lottery comes in), and mem to +300-500 changing this last and increasing by say 25 to find max stable.

When everything is done, drop core back 15 Mhz and Mem back 50 or so and enjoy rock solid 24/7 gaming performance.

Assuming thermals aren't the limit (which in many cases of people reporting sub 1500 they are) basically all 980tis (like 85% or more) have the ability to hit 1500 and few if any can do much over 1520 regardless of temps without extreme overvolting.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS