Does GPU brand matter?

aidenp

Okay, so I know there's heaps of different brands making custom and aftermarket GPU's with the same chips.

Obviously some outperform others, and are more expensive. But if I was looking at water cooling either one or two GPU's, does the cooler that it comes with matter? Or could I just get a cheaper or a reference card and expect the same performance?

Okay, so I know there's heaps of different brands making custom and aftermarket GPU's with the same chips.

Obviously some outperform others, and are more expensive. But if I was looking at water cooling either one or two GPU's, does the cooler that it comes with matter? Or could I just get a cheaper or a reference card and expect the same performance?

if you plan on watercooling the card than the only thing that matters is the quality of the parts on the card

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

reference should be fine and waterblocks for those will be a little easier to find and resell

the cooler matters, in more ways than just cooling performance.

aesthetics are very important to some, as well as some other things as asus cards turning off their fans under 65°c.

some different manufacturers sometimes also mess with their boards, allowing for stuff like better power delivery.

theres also brands that make better AMD cards than nvidia cards, and the other way around. as well as a few exclusive brands on both sides.

--

when watercooling you should specificly look for a brand of card that has waterblocks available for it, like the stock cards. (but not only the stock cards have watercoolers)

the cooler matters, in more ways than just cooling performance.

aesthetics are very important to some, as well as some other things as asus cards turning off their fans under 65°c.

some different manufacturers sometimes also mess with their boards, allowing for stuff like better power delivery.

theres also brands that make better AMD cards than nvidia cards, and the other way around. as well as a few exclusive brands on both sides.

--

when watercooling you should specificly look for a brand of card that has waterblocks available for it, like the stock cards. (but not only the stock cards have watercoolers)

Okay, makes sense. So for example, I've got a STRIX 980 atm. Because of all the software and driver support that it has, would water cooling obviously render it useless in terms of support?

Just saying Asus isn't the only own with fan off tech.

And their current coolers suck really bad.

Basically unless there is a known issue with a cooler/brand on a particular gpu range it doesn't matter much (+/-2%), but some are easier to deal with yes.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Any brand but Vamery and Diamond is fine lol

GO LEAFS GO!

AMD FX-6300 - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 FTW ACX 1 GB

Just saying Asus isn't the only own with fan off tech.

And their current coolers suck really bad.

Basically unless there is a known issue with a cooler/brand on a particular gpu range it doesn't matter much (+/-2%), but some are easier to deal with yes.

it was just an example, i know theres others out there, but i usually cant remember which ones :/

that said, i'm fairly happy with my asus strix card. it performs rather well for the furnace that is my PC.

Well, i do think it matters, but not that much. Typically i look for a well known brand with good reputation. However what really matters to me other than performance is the aesthetics. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

Custom pcb's are sometimes harder to get water blocks for, if at all.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler