Looking for Over-Ear Casual Heaphones for <$300

DR0WN

Audio technica is NOT hands down the best at anything. The benchmark for studio headphones, and the most commonly used in audio production are the Sony mdr v6/7506. They have been the benchmark for years.

When you say "you don't need to spend anywhere near $300", you don't need to spend more than ten dollars on a pair of headphones. $300 is enough to give you a significantly better experience than the audio technica m series does. The m series is over hyped, and you clearly haven't listened to a good pair of headphones that cost more than whatever the different ath m series do. So try to temper your suggestion with that, rather than pretending that it's absolute fact. Also, are you aware that 99% of studios use speakers for their mixing, and only use headphones to check the mix?

Yessir. Sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to try every set of headphones on the market first.

I merely bought the M40X's and they were damn good, alright?

If you know better headphones, good for you, but I hold the opinion that the M40X's are hard to beat.

By no means a piece of shit like some other people are eager to proclaim here.

Yessir. Sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to try every set of headphones on the market first.

If you know better headphones, good for you, but I hold the opinion that the M40X's are hard to beat.

Actually, nobody claims that the m40x is a piece of garbage. They're somewhat decent for the price. It's the m50x that's a piece of trash... Unless you can get it for less than $100. The m40x are not "damn good" they're decent for the price, and actually very easy to beat for a $300 headphone. If you haven't experienced it, then don't say that they are "hard to beat" because they aren't.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Replies in red

You don't have to, but that doesn't mean you are automatically qualified to give a definitive answer just because you own one and say they are the best, when even those who have tried headphones of various price tags, when being objective, can't even say whats the best for said price because it varies on what the person is looking for.

Okay...

Brainwavz HM5 or NVX XPT100 can compete against those and beat it as well.

The M50X is beaten by the M40X...

Random person here...

Actually, nobody claims that the m40x is a piece of garbage. They're somewhat decent for the price. It's the m50x that's a piece of trash... Unless you can get it for less than $100. The m40x are not "damn good" they're decent for the price, and actually very easy to beat for a $300 headphone. If you haven't experienced it, then don't say that they are "hard to beat" because they aren't.

Well yeah, it depends on what you're willing to spend.

If you want to spend a heap of money to get the highest quality headphones available, obviously there are better choices out there.

It's just like with any piece of hardware: You can spend many times more and definitely get something higher quality, but you gotta ask whether you really need to spend hundreds of dollars extra to get incremental improvements in quality.

Heck the M50X's probably are overrated, because they cost $60 extra for not much more performance, that's why I didn't buy them because the extra money didn't make sense.

Well yeah, it depends on what you're willing to spend.

If you want to spend a heap of money to get the highest quality headphones available, obviously there are better choices out there.

It's just like with any piece of hardware: You can spend many times more and definitely get something higher quality, but you gotta ask whether you really need to spend hundreds of dollars extra to get incremental improvements in quality.

Heck the M50X's probably are overrated, because they cost $60 extra for not much more performance, that's why I didn't buy them because the extra money didn't make sense.

Obviously the OP is willing to spend $300, so why recommend headphones that get outperformed even at their own price class, which is roughly 1/3 of OPs budget?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Obviously the OP is willing to spend $300, so why recommend headphones that get outperformed even at their own price class, which is roughly 1/3 of OPs budget?

He's in Australia so he's talking in AUD, not USD.

Do the m50x/m40x cost $300 aud?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Okay, thats roughly USD$200. Theres the Beyerdynamic DT770 that can do that job.

Random person here...

Do the m50x/m40x cost $300 aud?

The M40X is $140, the M50X is $200 and the M70X is $329.

That's what the online stores are suggesting, but there's probably cheaper deals that I don't know about.

The M40X is $140, the M50X is $200 and the M70X is $329.

That's what the online stores are suggesting, but there's probably cheaper deals that I don't know about.

DT770 would all of those three combined, though.

Random person here...

DT770 would all of those three combined, though.

Yup.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Another vote for the DT 770 PROs. Love mine, just make sure you have enough power to drive them. They are very comfortable, like pillows on your ears. Tank like build quality also. 

As I see you guys are recommending DT 770 Pro's. I really want to get some. I've been wanting them for quite some time now and I think it would be a nice upgrade to my ATH-T500 headphones I saw today that there is a deal on my local hifi shop now Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's cost 115 USD for 32 ohm version and 100 USD for both 80 and 250 ohm versions. Also DT 990 Pro (only 250 ohm version available) 100 USD and DT 990 Premium 32 ohm version costs 125 USD and Custom One Pro 100 USD (don't know the impendance). I have never listened to DT 990 Pro or Premium so which one should I get?? What impendance? What's the difference???

Also I will connect them to Yamaha A-S501 stereo amp.

Another vote for the DT 770 PROs. Love mine, just make sure you have enough power to drive them. They are very comfortable, like pillows on your ears. Tank like build quality also. 

Impedance doesn't mean much compared to sensitivity.

Random person here...

As I see you guys are recommending DT 770 Pro's. I really want to get some. I've been wanting them for quite some time now and I think it would be a nice upgrade to my ATH-T500 headphones I saw today that there is a deal on my local hifi shop now Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's cost 115 USD for 32 ohm version and 100 USD for both 80 and 250 ohm versions. Also DT 990 Pro (only 250 ohm version available) 100 USD and DT 990 Premium 32 ohm version costs 125 USD and Custom One Pro 100 USD (don't know the impendance). I have never listened to DT 990 Pro or Premium so which one should I get?? What impendance? What's the difference???

Also I will connect them to Yamaha A-S501 stereo amp.

Those are good prices. You might want to make a new post regarding where/what you will be using them for, sound preferences, equipment to be used with, etc.