Why?

Why would anyone get a G3258 over an Athlon x4 860k other than for future upgrade-ability? 

Don't forget about the future upgrade-ability!

For real though eh I dunno, I feel like you could save a few pennies more and get an i3

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Because IPC

But upgradability is a huge and main reason why

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Why would anyone get a G3258 over an Athlon x4 860k other than for future upgrade-ability? 

It's more powerful per-core and is an overclocking BEAST.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

It's more powerful per-core and is an overclocking BEAST.

But it only has 2 cores and 2 threads and that results in stuttering. 

because poor people want to game too.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

250px-360Wynaut.png

this is why

and Intel CPU's are traditionally a lot faster then AMD's 

There is not that much of a upgrade path on the amd side where as if you start with a Pentium you can then jump to an i5 or i7 without changing mobo or anything. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

because poor people want to game too.

The Athlon is the same price. 

Could upgrade even to an I7 4790k if that person wants

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

250px-360Wynaut.png

this is why

and Intel CPU's are traditionally a lot faster then AMD's 

Not in this case :/

I really don't see a point in spending $70 on a lower end CPU. Saving up one or two more paychecks for a quad-core i5 like the 4460 is reasonably better. But there is no reason to get it over the athlon besides the upgrade ability.

My Build: cpu: i7-12700k motherboard: Asus Strix Gaming D4 Wifi ram: G.Skill 64gb (4x16gb) 4000mhz @ 1.45v case: O11D XL gpu: MSI Gaming Trio 4090 storage: 3x Crucial 1tb Nvme SSDs display: Samsung LC34G55TWWNXZA keyboard: Logitech G915 mouse: Logitech Superlight headset: astro a40 tr

The Athlon is the same price. 

I know lol, was just poking at people talking about upgrades.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I really don't see a point in spending $70 on a lower end CPU. Saving up one or two more paychecks for a quad-core i5 like the 4460 is reasonably better. But there is no reason to get it over the athlon besides the upgrade ability.

Can't forget half the people here are kids with no jobs. I agree with you though. 

Because the G3258 performs way better in single threaded workloads, because multi-core workloads aren't widely adopted yet. Not to mention the better thermals, overclocking, and most importantly, upgrade-ability. With the Athlon you are stuck on a dead socket and expensive motherboards because the chipset is outdated and no one is producing them anymore.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-AMD-Athlon-X4-860K

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

The fact that it has 2 cores doesn't cause stuttering. It's the overall power of the chip. Put that thing under water and OC it and you've got a pretty baller chip especially for that price.

It's also the fact that most game creators can't optimize a game to save their life.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

The fact that it has 2 cores doesn't cause stuttering. It's the overall power of the chip. Put that thing under water and OC it and you've got a pretty baller chip especially for that price.

It's also the fact that most game creators can't optimize a game to save their life.

Really? Looky here: 

Because the G3258 performs way better in single threaded workloads, because multi-core workloads aren't widely adopted yet. Not to mention the better thermals, overclocking, and most importantly, upgrade-ability. With the Athlon you are stuck on a dead socket and expensive motherboards because the chipset is outdated and no one is producing them anymore.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-AMD-Athlon-X4-860K

What if i wanted to have two monitors? What if i wanted to play games on one and have chrome open on another? Watch a dual core multi-task and laugh. Not everyone uses their pc for just gaming. 

Frametimes are still shit in most AAA games. 

I honestly got mine because it's an anniversary edition. That's it. Plus, when it was on combo sale with the MSI PC MATE motherboard, the processor was essentially free after the rebate. So, I bought a motherboard and got a free processor while I wait for money for an i5 *in theory*. Bam.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Really? Looky here: 

Okay, I said it was good for the money. I never said that it would perform better than a 4 thread much more expensive intel CPU.

-Ron White

Frametimes are still shit in most AAA games. 

There's actually an article (don't has link sorry) of an nvidia driver developer explaining that most games are only playable because of nvidia's optimizations and that most games out of the box are so horribly optimized to the point that they're almost unplayable by most people.

*sigh* AAA game devs..... we don't like you.... but we'll still play your games.

-Ron White

Okay, I said it was good for the money. I never said that it would perform better than a 4 thread much more expensive intel CPU.

When you add up the costs of the motherboard and cooler needed for the pentium its about the same as the i3. 

w.e

It's only like 113 USD for the 4170.