Make 980 Reference cooler?

Tim Drake

I am getting back my 980 reference (81% asic and Samsung memory <3) so I was wanting to know how I could decrease temps.

I was thinking replacing thermal paste and of course, fan curve but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do?

I will be hopefully water cooling soon after but in case I'm not, what could o do?

you maybe could buy the separate hybrid cooler from evga

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

hybrid cooler. or HOT GLUE GUN a few noctua industrail ppc fan with full speed.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

I am getting back my 980 reference (81% asic and Samsung memory <3) so I was wanting to know how I could decrease temps.

I was thinking replacing thermal paste and of course, fan curve but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do?

I will be hopefully water cooling soon after but in case I'm not, what could o do?

thermal paste wont do much, i tried this, the only real way would be to get a bracket and put a water cooler on it.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

With the stock cooler there is nothing much you could try other than changing the thermal paste and pads, and using a faster fan curve.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

you maybe could buy the separate hybrid cooler from evga

hybrid cooler. or HOT GLUE GUN a few noctua industrail ppc fan with full speed.

In OP I said I was going to watercool..

-_-

thermal paste wont do much, i tried this, the only real way would be to get a bracket and put a water cooler on it.

Yeah I have been thinking this, may just leave stock until I water cool and use MX-4 THEN

In OP I said I was going to watercool..

-_-

Yeah I have been thinking this, may just leave stock until I water cool and use MX-4 THEN

Gelid GC-Extreme. If you have the money to spend you could try that Kyronaut stuff.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

I have MX-4 lying around, doubt it's worth the extra money so

Didn't know you already have it so just go with that. Temp differences won't be that big anyway, maybe 2*C at best.

60FPS Microwave

Didn't know you already have it so just go with that. Temp differences won't be that big anyway, maybe 2*C at best.

Yeah that's why i'm only going to use it with the watercooler because 2c at 40c is a much bigger difference than 2c at 80c

Get some thermal grizzly Kyronaut, its the best paste around now, should drop a degree or 2 compared to other high end stuff, more compared to stock compound ofcourse.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1