What's your opinion on this card?

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Karango17,

Huh, I can't find any. I only found one guy who said he got 60C on idle or something? Perhaps in such a small space I should stick with a 970 instead despite the lesser performance? What do you think I should do? Any specific card you would recommend?

In a small case, with likely lesser than average cooling, it might be better to go for the 970 purely because of its much lower tdp, and less heat being dumped into the case. It will likely fare better with a small cooler as well.

From what I can see the 390 and the 970 are pretty close, with the 390 edging out, however in your case, it might be better to go for the 970.

Any 970 that fits in your case should do you fine...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125792&cm_re=r9_390-_-14-125-792-_-Product

post-2597-0-98133100-1440591687.jpg

I see that this card is 9.5", making it the shortest R9 390, which also means it can fit in my case, along with this card's cousin, the Gigabyte 390X as it has the same exact cooler and length. I read tons of bad reviews and DOAs on it, but what's your opinion? Would it be better to just go with a short card from Nvidia? I really like this card, but there are bad reviews for it and I want another opinion. Thanks!

Any other recommendations? I am gaming at 1080P 144Hz. I would like to max out games with at least 60 FPS, but I keep reading that a 380 Nitro won't be able to do that.

What are the temps like? the 390 seems like it would benefit far more from a larger cooler, than the 970.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

You still have an i3-4170 yet you bought this: Samsung 840 PRO 512GB.  That money could've gone to a 4460 ye know :/

What are the temps like? the 390 seems like it would benefit far more from a larger cooler, than the 970.

Huh, I can't find any. I only found one guy who said he got 60C on idle or something? Perhaps in such a small space I should stick with a 970 instead despite the lesser performance? What do you think I should do? Any specific card you would recommend?

You still have an i3-4170 yet you bought this: Samsung 840 PRO 512GB.  That money could've gone to a 4460 ye know :/

I didn't buy that, it was given to me from my work. I bought the i3 4170. Still enough of a CPU even for a 980 Ti, although it would be cutting it close.

P.S. I'm upgrading to a Xeon E3-1231v3 soon.

In a small case, with likely lesser than average cooling, it might be better to go for the 970 purely because of its much lower tdp, and less heat being dumped into the case. It will likely fare better with a small cooler as well.

From what I can see the 390 and the 970 are pretty close, with the 390 edging out, however in your case, it might be better to go for the 970.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Thanks!

Oh boy am I glad you didn't decide to go with that piece of shit :B

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case