Is Windows 10 worth upgrading to?

i have an HP Elitebook 8530p running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade. The only thing stopping me from upgrading right now is that Windows 7 Ultimate is near imposible to get these days so I was wondering if Windows 10 really is much better. My laptop has a dual core 2.24GHZ Intel Centino CPU, and 2gb of 800mHz DDR2 ram and windows 7 runs fine.

when it rains check your roof for rainbows

i have an HP Elitebook 8530p running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade. The only thing stopping me from upgrading right now is that Windows 7 Ultimate is near imposible to get these days so I was wondering if Windows 10 really is much better. My laptop has a dual core 2.24GHZ Intel Centino CPU, and 2gb of 800mHz DDR2 ram and windows 7 runs fine.

you need 4gb of ram

and a ssd would defiantly help

but yes

10 is faster then 7

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

is intel centino an unreleased processor?

you can always downgrade back to windows 7 after upgrading btw

Tbh you'd be better off running Linux on that laptop, unless there's something you do which is only available on Windows.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

centrino, the line before celron

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Well firstly, Windows 7 Ultimate is essentially the same as Professional unless you specifically need all the language packs for some reason.

Secondly, the dealbreaker for me with Windows 10 is that you lose WMC - which is the only decent (and free) software I'm aware of for watching TV with a TV tuner. If it weren't for that I'd upgrade, but seeing as Microsoft decided that the Xbox is everything you could possibly want for a media center I'm stuck on 7 for the foreseeable future. On a laptop that probably doesn't bother you too much, but it's something to bear in mind for future reference.

animations might studder a bit, and windows 10 is all about animations so probably not the greatest experience, but if you meet minimum system specs you should be fine. win 10 should breathe new life into your laptop.

I feel its faster than Windows 7 myself. But I got 16 Gigs of Ram and a i5 3570k. You also need to make sure that HP has drivers for the device. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

centrino, the line before celron

Centrino is another name for the technologies inside Core 2 Duo CPUs

And I think that it'll run great on your PC, it's worth the upgrade. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Win7 Pro sounds like a better option.

Don't get mad, get even...

Well firstly, Windows 7 Ultimate is essentially the same as Professional unless you specifically need all the language packs for some reason.

Secondly, the dealbreaker for me with Windows 10 is that you lose WMC - which is the only decent (and free) software I'm aware of for watching TV with a TV tuner. If it weren't for that I'd upgrade, but seeing as Microsoft decided that the Xbox is everything you could possibly want for a media center I'm stuck on 7 for the foreseeable future. On a laptop that probably doesn't bother you too much, but it's something to bear in mind for future reference.

you don't use xbmc/kodi?

Centrino is another name for the technologies inside Core 2 Duo CPUs

i thought that was their wifi adapters name

no if you are a pirate

no the copy of windows is legit

Exactly. I have 2 HTPCs that i will most likely never upgrade to Windows 10 because I can't loose Windows Media Center. I use it mostly as a TV interface for music, and Kodi just can't compete

Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE

you can really downgrade after? you would have to use the install disc thou right?

Exactly. I have 2 HTPCs that i will most likely never upgrade to Windows 10 because I can't loose Windows Media Center. I use it mostly as a TV interface for music, and Kodi just can't compete

I find that hard to believe...with all the plugins kodi has..its way better

I find that hard to believe...with all the plugins kodi has..its way better

The way it shows albums and album artists. ( http://www.quadomated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Windows-Media-Center-04.jpg ) is unparalleled compared to what I've seen with Kodi. And the Now playing screen, which is vital for my use, is honestly beautiful looking  ( http://blog.retrosight.com/content/images/WindowsMediaCenterWindows7Build6801/SmallMusicNowPlaying.png

When sitting around the couch at my beach house, i take requests on what music to play from my family. Often times, my Uncle will point to an album in the background and say 'Bring that album up' I couldn't live without it. And don't get me started with my Media Center Remote app For Windows and Windows Phone...

you don't use xbmc/kodi?

Those are fine for local or network playback - in fact they're better because they can import the metadata based on file names. However, for actual live TV they just can't compete with WMC's ease of setup and use.

What I do is use WMC on my desktop to watch some TV and record shows to a watchfolder, then Handbrake encodes them to a file that XBMC can interpret, then I use XBMC as the frontend on the TV. Things I have to download because they aren't available here go through the same pipeline using flexget and an RSS feed, as do blu-ray rips - all with very little input from me :)

The way it shows albums and album artists. ( http://www.quadomated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Windows-Media-Center-04.jpg ) is unparalleled compared to what I've seen with Kodi. And the Now playing screen, which is vital for my use, is honestly beautiful looking  ( http://blog.retrosight.com/content/images/WindowsMediaCenterWindows7Build6801/SmallMusicNowPlaying.png

When sitting around the couch at my beach house, i take requests on what music to play from my family. Often times, my Uncle will point to an album in the background and say 'Bring that album up' I couldn't live without it. And don't get me started with my Media Center Remote app For Windows and Windows Phone...

I get the feeling you haven't dug to much into xbmc/kodi if you think kodi can't do what you show in those pics

kodi_epg.jpg

you can really downgrade after? you would have to use the install disc thou right?

theres an option in the settings app in windows 10

i think you will be able to downgrade as long as you keep the windows.old folder

I get the feeling you haven't dug to much into xbmc/kodi if you think kodi can't do what you show in those pics

Yeah, I'll confess that I've only scraped the surface of Kodi. Do you happen to know of any tweaks that'll get me a player that looks like those pictures? 

313127screenshot028.png625298screenshot025.png