4k still not worth it?

shadowr1ku
Go to solution Solved by GER_T4IGA,

Yeah I know that going 1440p 144hz is tough, though if I were to go with the former, it would be a G-Sync monitor. I mean I don't mind the score, I just like smooth game play, at least better than console lol.

So if you're already used to 144Hz gaming I would stick to it. I am gonna say 1440p 144Hz G-Sync instead of 3840p.

Hello Forum!

I am in the market for a new monitor, and I was debating between 1440p 144hz monitor or even 4k.

Now I know the general consensus is still 1440p>4k atm, but judging from the games I play (CS:GO casually, League of Legends sometimes, single-player games) that 4k is at least an option?

I saw some benchmarks for certain AAA games ranging around 30+fps when running 980 SLI (which I plan to do), and I personally don't mind turning down some settings to achieve near ~60 fps.

What are your guys' thoughts on the matter? I currently own a 1080p TN 144hz monitor and planning to give that to my girlfriend.

Thanks guys!

in my opinion 4k isnt worth using when you have to turn down settings to make it smooth because 1440p looks good and in my opinion better than 4k with lower settings but that is i think up to the individual

Hello Forum!

I am in the market for a new monitor, and I was debating between 1440p 144hz monitor or even 4k.

Now I know the general consensus is still 1440p>4k atm, but judging from the games I play (CS:GO casually, League of Legends sometimes, single-player games) that 4k is at least an option?

I saw some benchmarks for certain AAA games ranging around 30+fps when running 980 SLI (which I plan to do), and I personally don't mind turning down some settings to achieve near ~60 fps.

What are your guys' thoughts on the matter? I currently own a 1080p TN 144hz monitor and planning to give that to my girlfriend.

Thanks guys!

I still think 120hz>4k.

1440P is still great quality.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hello Forum!

Thanks guys!

For the games you play (league/CSGO) the 144hz will be a better experience. So i'd prefer 1440p 144hz if those were my main games. 1440p still looks great(you can still use DSR).

I honestly dont think 4k will be worth it for anyone outside of multimedia production and other related fields.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I honestly dont think 4k will be worth it for anyone outside of multimedia production and other related fields.

For the games you play (league/CSGO) the 144hz will be a better experience. So i'd prefer 1440p 144hz if those were my main games. 1440p still looks great(you can still use DSR).

I still think 120hz>4k.

1440P is still great quality.

in my opinion 4k isnt worth using when you have to turn down settings to make it smooth because 1440p looks good and in my opinion better than 4k with lower settings but that is i think up to the individual

Man overwhelming response to 1440p haha, Man I wonder when 4k will be widely accepted in the casual gaming scene

If you play CS:GO buy a 144hz monitor, that is all I have to say.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Man overwhelming response to 1440p haha, Man I wonder when 4k will be widely accepted in the casual gaming scene

Well, if you have the power for it and only play single player games, i'd go for the 4k monitor. But for games like LoL and CSGO the 144hz is too good.

In my opinion 4k has been perfectly viable for the last year. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you must max out everything to have a good experience; a lot of filters are barely noticeable even though they halve the framerate. Personally I find the higher resolution is well worth lowering settings a bit. In your case that shouldn't even be necessary, those are light games to run.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why not a 1080p 240Hz monitor? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Hello Forum!

Thanks guys!

Have you done the math? Achieving 144fps on 1440p is harder than 60fps on 3840p. But anyway you could counter both with using a G-Sync monitor.

1440p 144Hz monitors still cost a ****load of money so you might as well go for what you want.

If your just want to game a bit and you're not the most eager person concerning score than go 4K. If you want to work more compared to gaming 4K also is the better option.

The only obvious donwside I see are the scaling problems.I just all depends on you.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I'd rather a high refresh, low input lag monitor over everything else (mostly play fighting games).

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

When the rpices drop further, Scaling and therefore overall usability gets better and I will be accepted better as we advance in production of more powerful graficscards. People are tinkering with the exact same problems you are right now.

If 1440p becomes the standart then scaling won't be so bad on 3840p anymore. It all will end up ramping up slowly as it always did.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

For the money you're wanting to invest to get efficient 4k performance, no it's not worth it YET.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

4K is totally worth it, but I'm thinking about 1440p at 144Hz instead.

The main problem is that after a certain point, the resolution becomes "retina", and cannot get much better than your eye's ability to discriminate pixels. 4K is pretty much retina (As long as you're sitting more than 2-feet away from the computer screen and your screen is not gigantic, like bigger than 36 inches.)

But even 1440p at 27" sitting 3-feet away from it, is ALMOST retina anyways. (Cool website to check out: Is it Retina?: http://isthisretina.com/ )

So considering that 1440p is already "almost" retina, and graphics cards have a much better time handling 1440p.

If you play CS:GO buy a 144hz monitor, that is all I have to say.

Well I do currently own a 144hz and I agree its awesome

Well, if you have the power for it and only play single player games, i'd go for the 4k monitor. But for games like LoL and CSGO the 144hz is too good.

I mainly do play single player games, when I do play multiplayer it isnt always CS:GO and LoL, I mean just recently my girlfriend gifted me Serious Sam so theres that lol. The titles I am currently playing is Stick of Truth and New Vegas.

In my opinion 4k has been perfectly viable for the last year. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you must max out everything to have a good experience; a lot of filters are barely noticeable even though they halve the framerate. Personally I find the higher resolution is well worth lowering settings a bit. In your case that shouldn't even be necessary, those are light games to run.

Yeah I learned that lesson real quick lol. I never experienced higher resolutions before, and the store that even carries high resolution monitors don't show off performance or demos, just the desktop. I don't always play AAA games anyway, I mean I am waiting for witcher 3 to go down in price.

Why not a 1080p 240Hz monitor? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Have you done the math? Achieving 144fps on 1440p is harder than 60fps on 3840p. But anyway you could counter both with using a G-Sync monitor.

1440p 144Hz monitors still cost a ****load of money so you might as well go for what you want.

If your just want to game a bit and you're not the most eager person concerning score than go 4K. If you want to work more compared to gaming 4K also is the better option.

The only obvious donwside I see are the scaling problems.I just all depends on you.

Yeah I know that going 1440p 144hz is tough, though if I were to go with the former, it would be a G-Sync monitor. I mean I don't mind the score, I just like smooth game play, at least better than console lol.

I'm using a single 780 ti at 4K. Yet I need to turn down some settings for a handful of games to achieve 60fps. The resolution is worth it. The best games that wows me is UT3, Crysis 1/3, and BF4. Games that actually supports the proper scaling at 4K are the best, also the biggest difference is probably FOV in some games and the size of the worlds seems bigger. 

I wish I can see it personally, but I have no reference in resolution to see with my own eyes and judge from there.

I'd rather a high refresh, low input lag monitor over everything else (mostly play fighting games).

I prefer those as well, its a interesting choice I have to deal with haha

4K is totally worth it, but I'm thinking about 1440p at 144Hz instead.

The main problem is that after a certain point, the resolution becomes "retina", and cannot get much better than your eye's ability to discriminate pixels. 4K is pretty much retina (As long as you're sitting more than 2-feet away from the computer screen and your screen is not gigantic, like bigger than 36 inches.)

But even 1440p at 27" sitting 3-feet away from it, is ALMOST retina anyways. (Cool website to check out: Is it Retina?: http://isthisretina.com/ )

So considering that 1440p is already "almost" retina, and graphics cards have a much better time handling 1440p.

I ran into the same problem when it comes to IPS panels, as I am red/green color blind. So I wasn't sure if it was still worth getting because of that, not a lot of people could help me with that because it is a unique situation haha. Anyway, I always wanted to see a demo between 1440p 60hz+ vs 4k@~60fps but alas no store does this.

For the money you're wanting to invest to get efficient 4k performance, no it's not worth it YET.

I wonder when that will be :P

When the rpices drop further, Scaling and therefore overall usability gets better and I will be accepted better as we advance in production of more powerful graficscards. People are tinkering with the exact same problems you are right now.

If 1440p becomes the standart then scaling won't be so bad on 3840p anymore. It all will end up ramping up slowly as it always did.

Well I will be in the market when Tax season comes, I will invest then.

So if you're already used to 144Hz gaming I would stick to it. I am gonna say 1440p 144Hz G-Sync instead of 3840p.

3.Use

I wonder when that will be :P

Give it another year for the production/tech to mature a bit, perhaps few one or two more iteration- it sure will lower the cost down. Any holiday discount after then is a bonus for consumers. Right now they're asking too much to actually feel the difference.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Welp that takes care of that then! Thank you guys for your input!

I have a 4k monitor and a 1440 monitor.
Honestly 1440 144hz is the way to go in my opinion.
Yeah on games like csgo and league you could hit 60hz, buuut its still 60hz.
I don't think I'm going to enjoy 4k until we get 120hz monitors and gpu's that can run that lol
But that's just my opinion, we all like different things lol

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Welp that takes care of that then! Thank you guys for your input!

I am happy we could help you out ;-)

3.Use

I have a 4k monitor and a 1440 monitor.

Honestly 1440 144hz is the way to go in my opinion.

Yeah on games like csgo and league you could hit 60hz, buuut its still 60hz.

I don't think I'm going to enjoy 4k until we get 120hz monitors and gpu's that can run that lol

But that's just my opinion, we all like different things lol

That's true lol, first world problems amirite?

That's true lol, first world problems amirite?

I know right lol

Damn it my ultra high definition monitor won't refresh fast enough!

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Well I have the ASUS MG279Q 1440 and I just got the LG 27MU67-B 4K today and hands down the LG does everything I need and looks so much better. BTW why same price for both manufactures are really raping on the 1440 monitors being released.