Unsure of safeness of using power adaptor for PC

Dayfly

Hey guys,

Didn’t really know where to post this

I’m moving to the UK to Uni in a few weeks from Portugal. Here we have the standard EU plugs, and in the UK its different, is it unsafe to use an adaptor from EU to UK plug for my PC tower? So should I wait until I order a UK power cable?

On the back of my adaptor it says “Max power: 550W at 220V”

I have a low end CPU and mother board and a GTX 970, as far as I know as long as I don’t overclock I shouldn’t go over 550W, does this mean I’m safe to use this adaptor temporarily?

Thanks

PS: I’ve included a pic of my adaptor and the cable I intend to buy just so you guys know what I’m talking about. Regarding this cable, is there anything I should be looking out for that isn’t specific for high wattage devices like a computer?Hey guys,

UK Power cable: post-21587-0-04976000-1440523741.jpg

My adaptor:post-21587-0-58903000-1440523763_thumb.j

post-21587-0-04976000-1440523741.jpg

post-21587-0-58903000-1440523763_thumb.j

walk around town on your first day, the chances of there NOT being a DIY store that sells power cables is very slim.

Which uni are you going to? (not a stalker, going to uni as well, going newcastle. ) 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

walk around town on your first day, the chances of there NOT being a DIY store that sells power cables is very slim.

True, thanks,

Ill be moving to Birmingham, and considering its one of the biggest cities in the UK i probably wont need to walk a lot

just get a cable they are like 1 euro

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Which uni are you going to? 

University of Brimingham

just get a cable they are like 1 euro

yea I will, but since I don't know the city and through Amazon it might take a while I wasn't sure if I could use the adaptor

yea I will, but since I don't know the city and through Amazon it might take a while I wasn't sure if I could use the adaptor

I have used one before (Canadian cable in egyptian power strip that has universal plugs plugged into a voltage stabilizer) and it was fine I just really dont recommend it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I have used one before (Canadian cable in egyptian power strip that has universal plugs plugged into a voltage stabilizer) and it was fine I just really dont recommend it

Yea I understand, straight up fire hazard especially if from unreliable makers. But mine has a fuse so I guess it cant damage My PC if anything happens. But still, ill just wait until I get the cable

I wouldn't use that adapter anyways since it doesn't have the CE marking on it, meaning it isn't really safe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

I think the uk it rated at 230v @ 50hz?, so the uk voltage goes above that adapter anyways

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Yea I understand, straight up fire hazard especially if from unreliable makers. But mine has a fuse so I guess it cant damage My PC if anything happens. But still, ill just wait until I get the cable

since it doesn't have proper CE marking an ark might still bypass the fuse, also it only has a 2.5 amps which is cutting it close.

e.g for my computer 750watt / 240 mains = 3.125 amp

at ideal it sits around 250 so i am only drawing 1 amp

EDIT. am i reading the text on the right correct that the earth doesn't pass through? :blink:

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I wouldn't use that adapter anyways since it doesn't have the CE marking on it, meaning it isn't really safe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

I think the uk it rated at 230v @ 50hz?, so the uk voltage goes above that adapter anyways

Oh cool I didn't really know what that mark meant.

since it doesn't have proper CE marking an ark might still bypass the fuse

Ok, yea, ill just play it safe and buy a proper cable