Hooking up an old telephone to the doorbell

Calavera

Hi guys!

I just thought of a little project that I'd like to do...

I have an old phone from 1934 on my wall, it used to be plugged in but sat in the attic gathering dust, I decided to put it in my room as decoration.

Something like this, slightly different earphone though.

050100051.jpg

Now since the phone is actually in working order, beside the cables not being plugged into the modem, I thought of something.

Why not make the doorbell (which I can barely hear) ring the phone as well as the normal bell?

That way the phone gets some use, I hear the bell, and I can spend some money on a useless project :D

I thought about perhaps buying a wireless doorbell, but how would I go about sending a signal to the motors on the phone to ring the bells?

Any input is welcome!

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I thought about perhaps buying a wireless doorbell, but how would I go about sending a signal to the motors on the phone to ring the bells?

Wireless doorbell with the speaker wires going through the motor(I assume its a motor on a dong, could be a speaker) instead of the speaker. You might need an amplifier but it should work simply enough like that. Its jenky but it should work. Might need a few diodes (leds would work) to make sure the motor only recieves DC current instead of AC however

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Wireless doorbell with the speaker wires going through the motor(I assume its a motor on a dong, could be a speaker) instead of the speaker. You might need an amplifier but it should work simply enough like that. Its jenky but it should work. Might need a few diodes (leds would work) to make sure the motor only recieves DC current instead of AC however

Yeah, it's basically two spools with the pendulum on between, I guess when the voltage is going up the pendulum will start to go...

Could this be achieved another way though? I don't know, like have a battery to test the thing to begin with.

Yeah, it's basically two spools with the pendulum on between, I guess when the voltage is going up the pendulum will start to go...

Could this be achieved another way though? I don't know, like have a battery to test the thing to begin with.

Yeah just hook a standard AAA battery up to it and see if it makes a sound, just quickly then see if it got hot quickly, if so try a button battery like a 2032. Might be AC*, last time I messed with electronics was like 6 years ago and I've forgotten many basics...

*in which case try plugging an aux cord into your phone, or out of your pc and wiring it to the spools.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Yeah just hook a standard AAA battery up to it and see if it makes a sound, just quickly then see if it got hot quickly, if so try a button battery like a 2032. Might be AC*, last time I messed with electronics was like 6 years ago and I've forgotten many basics...

*in which case try plugging an aux cord into your phone, or out of your pc and wiring it to the spools.

Alright, will do.

Don't ruin that phone!

Don't ruin that phone!

Yes please dont change the phone itself, and old phone like that in working condition are certainly not that common, that thing is 81 years old, Cool idea. Please dont change the phone itself.

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

Yes please dont change the phone itself, and old phone like that in working condition are certainly not that common, that thing is 81 years old, Cool idea. Please dont change the phone itself.

Nothing like the feel of that rotary dial controlled by your finger.