Media pro with some osx86 love

Hi

First time, first post, not the first build :D 
I've done some builds - mostly hackinto$h rigs for friends and colleagues who can not afford the "iTrashcan" but are forced, or felt like using Final Cut Pro. The times are changing and FCP is no more this powerhouse of innovation it used to be |*
....so I am Now using the Adobe Suite plus some NUKE and some mac specific fractalresizing tools - still need osx.

After 6 Years (!!!) I am building a new rig for myself. The old one is still good enough for most work but I would like to edit 4K native and not proxy anymore and since it has to be somehow osx86 hackable I have to relay on the Gigabyte motherboards mostly because they are very well supported in the community.

My questions for you all:

1. Do I really depend so much on the CPU for PremierePRO and AfterEffects?

Do I still invest in a monster CPU (double Xeons) with many cores and some smart GPU (Gaming or low-end Quadro) or a monster quad SLI or double TITANs for the CUDA power and some smart quad-core CPU

2. I know the more RAM the happier but is there a glass ceiling?

Is there much difference between 32, 64 and 128 Gb RAM for AfterEffects or is 32Gb + raid0 on SSD enough for smooth 4K and 1080p work. Asking because 64 and 128 Gb is only possible on more pricey X motherboards.

3. Is it still any Quadro over top GTX or is this only the question of reliability and computing precision which I would never really see on the screen?

I am a freelancer with some knowledge in electronics so I have no problem with troubleshooting some problems with graphic output, but still there are some days I would prefer not to make my hands greasy - especially when the client is sitting beside me.

4. RAID 50 SSD or should i go to the wild side with RAID 0 SSD and daily backups to cheaper HDD RAID3

5. M.2, PCI-E or just "plain" SSD RAID for media cache?

Does it really pay to invest in PCI-E storage or even M.2 or is it just early adopter and high end pro thing and the speed to $ ratio is insane

6. Water or AIr?

I know, this question is somehow like "Windows or Mac" and every one can answer "if you can afford it buy it". My question is is the Water loop (not prebuild cpucollers, but system cooling with gpu) still worth the investment or are the newer CPUs cooled enough by air (noise, or better the lack of it, is super important to me)

So this is everything I would like to know from You guys

I hope there are some questions for other Editors SFX guys here

Of course if You want some questions about Hackintosh I would be glad to answer them (hacking since Leopard)

Thank You and Cheers
K

*sorry but the X version is elegant and sh..t but I never edited on a Moviola so I don't need/get this one timeline approach

why zero views? Is it wrong to like osx86? Or is this forum the wrong one for this kind of questions.... I am littlebit dissapointed 

<EDIT>

Something went wrong with the site.... I saw false numbers even after refresh.
Now there are actually some views - still no answers (but this is ok, those are not easy)

sorry :D

</EDIT>

• 2 weeks later...

ehm

sooooooo

moving to another forum then

no offense

just no one can answer those questions here and I hoped to build this rig before October

cheers