Right way to connect potentiometer

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

So, you wanna say one of 2 last photos I posted will do (besides yellow wire)?

Yes that would be correct, I don't think they have no polarity so it should work both ways, note it does generate heat since it's basically a variable resistor so just be sure to not over do it on the number of fans.

Well, I'm starting project of silencing my fans, for that job I decided to use potentiometers, and I have one little problem with them. While I was searching round Internet I found out people wire them on few diffirent ways but I don't know whats right. Down below I posted 4 photos, so if someone can look 'em and tell me whats right way for connecting.post-78674-0-32658300-1440487870_thumb.jpost-78674-0-62333300-1440487877_thumb.jpost-78674-0-87229600-1440487887_thumb.jpost-78674-0-05392300-1440487900_thumb.j

Well, I'm starting project of silencing my fans, for that job I decided to use potentiometers, and I have one little problem with them. While I was searching round Internet I found out people wire them on few diffirent ways but I don't know whats right. Down below I posted 4 photos, so if someone can look 'em and tell me whats right way for connecting.attachicon.gif Version 1.jpgattachicon.gif Version 2.jpgattachicon.gif Version 3.jpgattachicon.gif Version 4.jpg

It depends on if your just doing 3 pin voltage control but this would be the way I've seen it done before:

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2001/12/10/adding_fan_speed_control/1

Also the yellow line on the 3 pin fan connector doesn't need to be connected to anything you can leave that alone, it's the RPM sense line.

It depends on if your just doing 3 pin voltage control but this would be the way I've seen it done before:

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2001/12/10/adding_fan_speed_control/1

Also the yellow line on the 3 pin fan connector doesn't need to be connected to anything you can leave that alone, it's the RPM sense line.

Yes that would be correct, I don't think they have no polarity so it should work both ways, note it does generate heat since it's basically a variable resistor so just be sure to not over do it on the number of fans.

Alternatively you can mount a small heatsink on the back.

pick a potentiometer that can handle the right amps. I would get 2 amp potentiometers

Why would I need 2 amp pot for 0,16 apm fan?

Alternatively you can mount a small heatsink on the back.

I will use 1 pot per vent.

Yes

the two different ways just make it so speed is changed by either going clockwise or anti clockwise 

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Just a little update just bougt pots and connected them by picture 3, it didn' t want to spin fan. Than I tryed picture 1 and it works like a charm.