is this a good way to benchmark?

computernerd123

basically Im going to overclock my gpu by going up +25 mhz and then when I add that I will go into valley and heaven monitoring temps then I run it through skyrim and all the applications I would use for atleast an hour to test stability then rinse and repeat until I cannot go further 

I'm no benchmarking or OC expert but that seems like a pretty good methodology to me haha. Lets wait and see what the experts say huh. :D

Also use a stress test like OCCT to check for any errors or artifacts  and then you'll know if the OC stable or not and if you set it, it stops the test if it exceeds a certain temp so you know whether your OC is too hot or not and whether it's stable

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Formally testing each overclock for an hour is pointless. I usually let it go through Unigine Heaven for a little bit for each overclock, and then give a final extended test with some games. Bear in mind, testing never finishes - it may formally end, but it is continuing informally because issues can always creep up.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I would research on these forums or other forums to see what the average user is getting on their +## overclock. Then start from there and +/- 25 MHz, when you get closer to your max, move the +/- to 10MHz then to 5MHz. 3DMark, Heaven, and FFXIV: Heavensward benchmarking tool are my 3 goto stress tests. Then when you get everything stable on those, you could try your own applications for an hour or so to be absolutely certain.