Moving From Team red to Team green. What do I need to Know

Howdy.

So my xfx 290x decided to kick the bucket (after a couple of years of vram issues) so I settled for the incremental upgrade to the cuda powered 980 strix from Asus.

Since this will be my first ever dedicated piece of Nvidea hardware I have owned I will be stepping into some new territory personally.

So I'm asking if there is anything I need to know going into this upgrade. (potential driver issues, nvidea software, overclocking differences, ect.)

The rest of my system specs are as listed...

-Intel i7 4690K

-MSI Mpower max z87

-16GB 2133mh DDR3 ram

-1000 watt power supply

- Corsare 750D

-120GB sandisk ssd

Thanks in advance for the help.

Please don't buy the 980 the fury vanilla is magnitude better than it and a little more pricey also the r9 390x outperforms it for major price cut vs 980.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Don't do it.

We all need to help the dying company.

No more monopolies!

The single worst man in the world is:

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

No Monoplies, right. But in the End i am a Customer and want a good Product. AMD dont get their shit together, so i buy NVidia.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Howdy.

So my xfx 290x decided to kick the bucket (after a couple of years of vram issues) so I settled for the incremental upgrade to the cuda powered 980 strix from Asus.

Since this will be my first ever dedicated piece of Nvidea hardware I have owned I will be stepping into some new territory personally. 

So I'm asking if there is anything I need to know going into this upgrade. (potential driver issues, nvidea software, overclocking differences, ect.)

The rest of my system specs are as listed...

-Intel i7 4690K

-MSI Mpower max z87

-16GB 2133mh DDR3 ram

-1000 watt power supply 

- Corsare 750D

-120GB sandisk ssd

Thanks in advance for the help.

Get a 980Ti and 750W is enough for that Build.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Why a 980? An r9 fury is the same price and kicks the 980's butt.

Except it isn't and it doesn't.

Ttyl come again.

@op get ready for massive very common driver downloads. Like up to daily (nearly 400 MB each) in peak season.

Use GeForce experience for guidelines and driver installation but never allow it to optimize for you.

Finally, uhh be prepared for your electricity bill to drop. (Shot fired.... Btw I know gm200 is as energy hungry as Fiji, but Hawaii uses more than Fiji yet is only kinda on par with gm204)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1. Don't

/thread

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

No Monoplies, right. But in the End i am a Customer and want a good Product. AMD dont get their shit together, so i buy NVidia.

hey... just thought i'd inform you that stock vs stock, Nvidia has only two products that outright beat their competitors atm...

750Ti vs 270/270X AMD wins

950 vs 370 Nvidia wons

960 vs 380 AMD wins

970 vs 390 AMD wins (marginally)

980 vs 390X "tie", 390X is a little bit weaker, but notably cheaper.

980 vs Fury AMD wins

980Ti vs Fury X Nvidia Wins

TitanX/980Ti vs R9 295x2 AMD wins

If you want overclocked performance, then sure, Nvidia can pull in a victory. However once overclocked, their power usage and heatoutput gets worse. and in most cases, the current Nvidia cards got to OC to catch up to AMD, then beat AMD.

AMD cards can also be OCd too, which causes them to marginally lose to Nvidia, OC vs OC, in most cases.

HOWEVER, and this is just a fact of life.

YOU ARE NEVER GUARANTEED TO BE ABLE TO GET A GOOD OC.

Perhaps you strike gold, or perhaps you get rekt. You never know until you try, and at that point, you've already spent your money.

As for features. Nvidia only has 3 things worth mentioning VS AMD.

Shadowplay, CUDA and DX11 CPU overhead.

AMD has had their shit together for some months now, unlike Nvidia who has royally fucked up their drivers for some time now.

Except it isn't and it doesn't.

Ttyl come again.

@op get ready for massive very common driver downloads. Like up to daily (nearly 400 MB each) in peak season.

Use GeForce experience for guidelines and driver installation but never allow it to optimize for you.

Finally, uhh be prepared for your electricity bill to drop. (Shot fired.... Btw I know gm200 is as energy hungry as Fiji, but Hawaii uses more than Fiji yet is only kinda on par with gm204)

Uh yes it is and yes it does.

75668.png

Could post these all day. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9421/the-amd-radeon-r9-fury-review-feat-sapphire-asus/11

As for price, the cheapest 980 is 500$ and the tri-x fury is 560 bucks. Not a big difference when spending 500$+. If that's a problem, he could go for a 390x for 420 bucks, which trades blows with a 980 for significantly cheaper.

R9-390X-49.jpg

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

hey... just thought i'd inform you that stock vs stock, Nvidia has only two products that outright beat their competitors atm...

750Ti vs 270/270X AMD wins

950 vs 370 Nvidia wons

960 vs 380 AMD wins

970 vs 390 AMD wins (marginally)

980 vs 390X "tie", 390X is a little bit weaker, but notably cheaper.

980 vs Fury AMD wins

980Ti vs Fury X Nvidia Wins

TitanX/980Ti vs R9 295x2 AMD wins

If you want overclocked performance, then sure, Nvidia can pull in a victory. However once overclocked, their power usage and heatoutput gets worse. and in most cases, the current Nvidia cards got to OC to catch up to AMD, then beat AMD.

AMD cards can also be OCd too, which causes them to marginally lose to Nvidia, OC vs OC, in most cases.

HOWEVER, and this is just a fact of life.

YOU ARE NEVER GUARANTEED TO BE ABLE TO GET A GOOD OC.

Perhaps you strike gold, or perhaps you get rekt. You never know until you try, and at that point, you've already spent your money.

As for features. Nvidia only has 3 things worth mentioning VS AMD.

Shadowplay, CUDA and DX11 CPU overhead.

AMD has had their shit together for some months now, unlike Nvidia who has royally fucked up their drivers for some time now.

I wonder why you AMD´s Guys always have to defent them. I dont give a shit about AMD or NVidia, i just buy the best Card.

@OP.

The main thing u'll need to get used to is Nvida Control Panel, vs the Catalyst Control Centre your used to. Different options, with different naming, in different places and the like.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I wonder why you AMD´s Guys always have to defent them. I dont give a shit about AMD or NVidia, i just buy the best Card.

Since 2014, by every benchmark known to mankind, the R9 295x2 has been the best Card on the market, and it still is...

Even the Titan Z cannot beat it.... So tell me, who has the best Card on the market again?

Since 2014, by every benchmark known to mankind, the R9 295x2 has been the best Card on the market, and it still is...

Even the Titan Z cannot beat it.... So tell me, who has the best Card on the market again?

Dual GPU Card. Ya thats a realy good Example. I like Power Consuption and Microstutter alot.

The 980Ti is the best Card, without any Question.

Dual GPU Card. Ya thats a realy good Example. I like Power Consuption and Microstutter alot.

The 980Ti is the best Card, without any Question.

Do you own a R9 295x2?

Have you owned a R9 295x2?

Have you even USED a R9 295x2?

if you cannot say yes on all 3 accounts, your statement is bullshit.

Want to know why?

I own a R9 295x2, i use a R9 295x2, and i will keep using a R9 295x2 (for a while longer). So you can run around screaming microstutters and Dual GPU all you want. The card rarely, if ever show signs of microstutters (it does with OC in valley, but not with OC in games), and unfortunatly for you, Dual GPU works. Unfortunatly for you, i know this, because i own one and use one every, damn, fucking, day.

So.... just weep in a corner then come back with a better argument.

Wow This turned Into a bit of an argument... I think it is worth mentioning that I don't play at high resolutions, I'm only running 1080 @144hz and I know for a fact Nvidea handles better at lower res. I saw allot of arguments using Uhd as examples when that really doesn't apply to the this particular thread. If i was running Uhd I would have opted for 2 390x's but that isnt the case.

Oh and in regards to the 295x2. My power supply cant handle that, cant output that much voltage over the pcie conections.

ounce again thank you for all the feedback!

Do you own a R9 295x2?

Have you owned a R9 295x2?

Have you even USED a R9 295x2?

if you cannot say yes on all 3 accounts, your statement is bullshit.

Want to know why?

I own a R9 295x2, i use a R9 295x2, and i will keep using a R9 295x2 (for a while longer). So you can run around screaming microstutters and Dual GPU all you want. The card rarely, if ever show signs of microstutters (it does with OC in valley, but not with OC in games), and unfortunatly for you, Dual GPU works. Unfortunatly for you, i know this, because i own one and use one every, damn, fucking, day.

So.... just weep in a corner then come back with a better argument.

Hmmm.

All i read is "mimimimimimimi"

Grow up, tough Fanboy and get over it.

Hmmm.

All i read is "mimimimimimimi"

Grow up, tough Fanboy and get over it.

have fun Nvidia fanboy. Dont get salty because you got to lie to yourself about your product being the best.

PS. I bought my R9 295x2 for 575 USD. How much did your 980Ti cost?