Good way to keep an eye on SMART data?

Fahrenheit

I'm looking for a real lightweight program that I would have set as "start on startup" just to keep an eye on SMART data. Anyone know of any?

If you're looking for an application with a graphical user interface CrystalDiskInfo could be for you. You can set it to run at startup by going to the Function menu and clicking "Startup".

Ah, I already have that. Does that have a toolbar mode? As in I don't need a window open? And will it pop up if any of my drives tosses a smart error? 

Ah, I already had that. Does that have a toolbar mode? As in I don't need a window open? And will it pop up if any of my drives tosses a smart error?

You can run it in "Resident" mode, where it'll sit in your system tray. Go to Function -> Resident. Then Function -> Advanced Features -> Resident Style and click Hide. You can close the main CrystalDiskMark dialog then and you'll see its program icon in your system tray and a temperature icon for each drive it detects. You can hide those temperature icons by right clicking on them, going to each drive and unchecking "Show Temperature Icon". You can also change the Alarm settings using that right click menu (for temperature/health status). I've never actually used it in this mode before, though, so I don't know if it beings up the main dialog when it triggers an alarm.

You can run it in "Resident" mode, where it'll sit in your system tray. Go to Function -> Resident. Then Function -> Advanced Features -> Resident Style and click Hide. You can close the main CrystalDiskMark dialog then and you'll see its program icon in your system tray and a temperature icon for each drive it detects. You can hide those temperature icons by right clicking on them, going to each drive and unchecking "Show Temperature Icon". You can also change the Alarm settings using that right click menu (for temperature/health status). I've never actually used it in this mode before, though, so I don't know if it beings up the main dialog when it triggers an alarm.

Cool, gonna check it out when i get home from work 

I'm looking for a real lightweight program that I would have set as "start on startup" just to keep an eye on SMART data. Anyone know of any?

Hey there Fahrenheit,

I would recommend using tools provided by the manufacturer for the most accurate data as these tools know the firmware best. What's the brand and model of the drive? There are tools that monitor a drive's S.M.A.R.T. status but I would suggest to run a full scan on the drive every once in a while anyway just to be on the safe side that the drive is functioning properly. :)

For WD that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=nqBfqA

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/