how to make astro a40/a50 better

kickasssloth

sell them and buy something good :P

last year i bought a40's cause i thought i was cool, they are great and all, better than nothing, and the mix amp IS brilliant,

​but then i started work on a movie (im making a 4k movie about nature, and stuff... )

and i boought some AKG Q701 and they are amazing! they are soooo much better...

so if your thinking about it, dont buy astros, wireless mix amp- ok, headsets-not

hope i helped inform you :)

Could you write a review on the A40's?

If not write a review on these new headphones? Im in the market for new headphones and sort of looking at Astros because they look cool and the mixamp would be super useful.

Could you write a review on the A40's?

If not write a review on these new headphones? Im in the market for new headphones and sort of looking at Astros because they look cool and the mixamp would be super useful.

yea, you know i will, ill let you know where i write it, should be up in a few hours,

just in australia its a tough day, its 49/120 degrees here.. aha

• 2 weeks later...

I have some A40s, I bought them because at the time I needed something that would allow me to use the same headset with my PC and with my Xbox at the same time without having to change any cables or anything of the sort and the mixamp provides that capability. At the time (a few years ago) they were pretty much the best that you could get for doing that, but for the money they cost you can definitely find something with much better audio quality, probably without the Xbox support though which is completely irrelevant to me now so looking back I probably should have bought something else.

I have AKG K702s (same as Q701s, just different colour) and they're amazing. For everything. HOWEVER they NEED to be amplified, as do all good headphones. As well as this they will bring out any crappiness in low quality music. Read; anything lower than 320kb/s MP3s, but this is a good thing. As well as this you will need a DAC to get the most out of them. Onboard sound will not suffice. An Audioengine D1 is a great DAC/amp and will do you just fine, or a similarly priced sound card. Headphone set ups get expensive if you really want to get the most out of a set up. but compnents can be bought progressively: Headphones, then DAC/soundcard, then maybe a beefier amp if you feel you need it. Better sound is worth it. Don't get gaming headsets people.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I also have the A40 and I wouldn't recommend them to anybody unless your primary focus is comfort and not audio quality. They are very light, they do not press too hard on your ears and you can pivot the earcups to conveniently rest them on your chest when you are not using em. The mixamp is cool, though I have the old model and apparently the new one is even better. The sound quality is average, you won't get totally immersed in a movie or in a single player game compared to other solutions at that price. So my advise would be to get the new mixamp and a good headset. The Sennheiser PC 360 looks good but I haven't tried them so I can't say for sure.

Doesn’t this really apply to the situation you are using them in? As a gaming headset, they are optimized for gaming, editing a 4k "UHD" Movie isn’t the best scenario to put a headset built for soundwhoring and insulting the squeaky voiced teen and there mothers! I’ve had nothing but good experience with both my A40 headset and my Mix amp using them for gaming really felt the difference and the sound quality isn’t bad for music just not optimized for the 4k users!

It all comes down to the situation you use them for!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the A40s are not exactly bad a bad headset. They are ideal if you plan on playing on PC, Xbox and PS3 ( like I did back when I bought my pair). But you are right about the sound quality itself: It's not the best you can bet BUT by no means is it awful or unbearable. The mic is really good for what it is ( a headset mic) but of course it can't compare to a deskmic like a Yeti or a good Samson.

Your opinion towards a product should be held with value in the community but posting in guides and tutorials and then just saying buy something else doesnt really work. you should post this in a diff section. maybe under peripherals

They were never really meant to have great sound quality, they lower the bass change other things etc just to basically hear footsteps. Pretty much making most anything else sound crappy compared to any proper headset.

You flat out sad there bad when there not bad i love my astro a 40s everyone has a different sound that they like. i love the sound of these but some of my friends don't it is total up to the user to pick what headphone they like. So dissing something because of your personal choice is just wrong. If something is truly bad and doesnt work then i would tell people to stay away from it but if u just dont like it then put your choice out there but some one else may thing your choice is wrong it is based on the person for most of these things.

Doesn’t this really apply to the situation you are using them in? As a gaming headset, they are optimized for gaming, editing a 4k "UHD" Movie isn’t the best scenario to put a headset built for soundwhoring and insulting the squeaky voiced teen and there mothers! I’ve had nothing but good experience with both my A40 headset and my Mix amp using them for gaming really felt the difference and the sound quality isn’t bad for music just not optimized for the 4k users!

It all comes down to the situation you use them for!

exactly point one with that one.