Pump/Reservoir Flow

Go to solution Solved by CaSsE,

Most, if not all, Pumps work in "pull"...so they pull their material (water, concrete, doesn´t matter) from a feeding source. 

It´s urgent for the first filling, after that you got a "nearly" closed loop thats not effected by this "pull" principle at all.

Now i know the reservoir should be above the pump, however is it necessary that the flow should be from the reservoir into the pump, or would it still work the other way round? 

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Should go from bottom of res into pump inlet and then out the pump. I am pretty sure the res should always feed the pump.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

The res is there to give the pump an uninterrupted supply of water.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Don't even attempt it the other way round , the amount if problems that you would run into....

I've seen some guy doing backward like you asked pump > reservoir and put the pump above, and the pump won't work. In the end a guy suggested to use vacuum during first boot. The owner said it was working after that.

Most, if not all, Pumps work in "pull"...so they pull their material (water, concrete, doesn´t matter) from a feeding source. 

It´s urgent for the first filling, after that you got a "nearly" closed loop thats not effected by this "pull" principle at all.

and working from the above, these pumps are pressure output pumps. they are

not self-priming. they have very weak pressure draw for an intake so the gravity

or internal pressure of the loop keeps the pump "primed" for start-up and running.

anything to keep the air from entering the pump chamber is deffo best option.

airdeano