CPU Swap

kyton

Hi all

I currently have a i5-4690K proc.  I do not OC, but have the bios setup to run all cores on auto.  It runs all 4 @ 3.9ghz currently.

I can do a straight swap for an i7 4790 non k.  Is it worth swapping.

Motherboard is MSI H97 Gaming 3 and GPU is MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G.  OS Win 10.  Games currently played - BF4 & GTA V

Thanks

Hi all

I currently have a i5-4690K proc.  I do not OC, but have the bios setup to run all cores on auto.  It runs all 4 @ 3.9ghz currently.

Motherboard is MSI H97 Gaming 3 and GPU is MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G.  OS Win 10.  Games currently played - BF4 & GTA V

Thanks

Not worth. By far not.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Totally worth.
Get that 4790 and sell that 4690k to me for 50$. That's the most you'll get out of it anyway...  :ph34r:
  :lol: 

Srsly. I don't think it's worth the upgrade. It's practically the same CPU, but with hyper-threading. For gaming that's totally uninteresting.

Hi all

Thanks

Yes you can swap it with no problem

Do you do render alot? If so maybe depending on the price. But if you only game no, that CPU is fantastic for gaming. 

Hi all

Thanks

Only somewhat worth it if you are going to running VERY VERY multithread optimised programs, and even then, not really. For ANY gaming (that I'm aware of) it will be a decrease in performance. Especially if you OC the i5 a little.

Hell, you could likely get it up to 4.1-4.2 on just the stock heatsink if you dont feel like getting something like an evo 212.

When in doubt, re-format.

Hi all

Thanks

Yes you definitely should, you can't oc on that motherboard anyways. So stock clock vs stock clock the i7 4790 has the same single threaded performance for gaming but has hugely increased multithreaded performance.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Thanks.  Any benefits for win10 and upcoming dx12(whenever they decide to release titles with it)

Thanks.  Any benefits for win10 and upcoming dx12(whenever they decide to release titles with it)

Seriously don't listen to these people telling you not to swap it out. Please read the PM I sent you.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

No. DX12 is all grafixcard... and Win 10 doesn'T really care you processor. DO NOT SWAP srsly. How much is an 4790k 350€. Do you wan to pay that for no or ~5% performance increase in your case?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Seriously don't listen to these people telling you not to swap it out. Please read the PM I sent you.

Well then... So why should he. It might help the rest of the community therefore you might as well tell us something we didn't know.

3.Use

Well then... So why should he. It might help the rest of the community therefore you might as well tell us something we didn't know.

I pm'd him so my message didn't get overlooked in thread.

The reason he should swap out his i5 for the i7 is because even though his i5 is unlocked he 1) Has zero interest in overclocking. And 2) has a H97 chipset motherboard, h97 motherboards cannot overclock. Only through base clock which is not going to be much and isn't recommended for Intel cpu's, only slight tuning.

That being said that eliminates overclocking on either cpu so the comparison here is between a stock clocked i5 4690k and a stock clocked i7 4790. The i7 has a 100mhz higher base AND boost clock compared to the i5 and it also has hyper threading.

I pm'd him so my message didn't get overlooked in thread.

The reason he should swap out his i5 for the i7 is because even though his i5 is unlocked he 1) Has zero interest in overclocking. And 2) has a H97 chipset motherboard, h97 motherboards cannot overclock. Only through base clock which is not going to be much and isn't recommended for Intel cpu's, only slight tuning.

That being said that eliminates overclocking on either cpu so the comparison here is between a stock clocked i5 4690k and a stock clocked i7 4790. The i7 has a 100mhz higher base AND boost clock compared to the i5 and it also has hyper threading.

All correct.

but that is not worth another 350€

BY FAR NOT!

3.Use

All correct.

but that is not worth another 350€

BY FAR NOT!

No you're exactly right, what I mentioned is not worth the full price of the i7. The thing is though the OP stated that he can do an even trade his i5 for the i7. Costing him nothing.

For some reason I thought that someone offered him to swap his 4690k to someones 4790... If yes, why not?

No you're exactly right, what I mentioned is not worth the full price of the i7. The thing is though the OP stated that he can do an even trade his i5 for the i7. Costing him nothing.

Even then, the 4690K can be overclocked, the 4790 is stuck at 3.6 GHz. Clock frequency is usually a much more tangible benefit in games than Hyperthreading, even in most of the games that actually care about Hyperthreading on i7's.

I say stick with the 4690K, and invest a bit more effort into overclocking it.

Even then, the 4690K can be overclocked, the 4790 is stuck at 3.6 GHz. Clock frequency is usually a much more tangible benefit in games than Hyperthreading, even in most of the games that actually care about Hyperthreading on i7's.

I say stick with the 4690K, and invest a bit more effort into overclocking it.

You're not listening. He IS NOT INTERESTED IN OVERCLOCKING. Yes you're right he would get more raw gaming performance by having his i5 overclocked but he isn't interested in overclocking and would have to go spend $130 minimum to get a decent z97 board to overclock on. He can just get the i7 now for FREE and have a significantly better performing cpu. And with DX12 coming out games might start being more optimized to use more threads at a lower clock speed.

You're not listening. He IS NOT INTERESTED IN OVERCLOCKING. Yes you're right he would get more raw gaming performance by having his i5 overclocked but he isn't interested in overclocking and would have to go spend $130 minimum to get a decent z97 board to overclock on. He can just get the i7 now for FREE and have a significantly better performing cpu. And with DX12 coming out games might start being more optimized to use more threads at a lower clock speed.

OP didn't say in this thread that he's not interested in overclocking—in fact what he did say is that he's got all four cores running at 3.9 GHz, which is a small overclock. As far as this thread's concerned, you're the one claiming he's not interested in overclocking. We're not privy to your private conversations.

DirectX 12 is a terrible thing to base a purchase decision on right now. Yes, I've heard that it's supposed to herald a new era of multi-threaded gaming, but it's also supposed to drastically reduce the CPU demands of the API. So it sounds like more cores might be "used," but games may actually care even less about your CPU than they already do.

OP didn't say in this thread that he's not interested in overclocking—in fact what he did say is that he's got all four cores running at 3.9 GHz, which is a small overclock. As far as this thread's concerned, you're the one claiming he's not interested in overclocking. We're not privy to your private conversations.

DirectX 12 is a terrible thing to base a purchase decision on right now. Yes, I've heard that it's supposed to herald a new era of multi-threaded gaming, but it's also supposed to drastically reduce the CPU demands of the API. So it sounds like more cores might be "used," but games may actually care even less about your CPU than they already do.

He clearly says in the op "I do not OC". Yes he expanded further on this when I pm'd him by fulling saying he isn't interested but he does infact say he DOES NOT oc in the OP. And if you read the OP again he also clearly says the multiplier is on AUTO, so the 3.9ghz he is talking about is the BOOST CLOCK. The i5 when under right conditions (load,temp) will boost up to 3.9ghz where as the i7 will boost up to 4.0ghz. The boost clock is NOT an OC, comes this way from Intel and is a feature.

And even ignoring the potential benefits of dx12 he should STILL make the trade as it is clearly worth it.

The i5 when under right conditions (load,temp) will boost up to 3.9ghz where as the i7 will boost up to 4.0ghz. The boost clock is NOT an OC, comes this way from Intel and is a feature.

It's Turboboost. The "right conditions" are when a single core is in use. All four cores at 3.9 GHz is an overclock, albeit a small one, but worth noting that it's already 300 MHz faster than the 4790's stock 3.6 GHz frequency. Yes, the 4790 also turbos up to 3.9 GHz when only a single core is in use.

At this point I feel like I'm addressing the OP through you, so I'll just leave it at this: If he can get the 4790 for a net loss of zero and would never have considered overclocking the Core i5 either way (which I still don't believe is exactly what he said), then sure, he should swap to get the i7.

If you are not streaming, recording, rendering there is no point in upgrading, but If you already have the i7, you might as well use the better CPU.

where did he say that? I gues this:

Motherboard is MSI H97 Gaming 3

This is for me more sounding like "aahhm it is the same socket so I'd be able to switch easily if I wanted..." nothing else or am I getting this completely wrong?

3.Use

He clearly says in the op "I do not OC". Yes he expanded further on this when I pm'd him by fulling saying he isn't interested but he does infact say he DOES NOT oc in the OP. And if you read the OP again he also clearly says the multiplier is on AUTO, so the 3.9ghz he is talking about is the BOOST CLOCK. The i5 when under right conditions (load,temp) will boost up to 3.9ghz where as the i7 will boost up to 4.0ghz. The boost clock is NOT an OC, comes this way from Intel and is a feature.

And even ignoring the potential benefits of dx12 he should STILL make the trade as it is clearly worth it.

When did he say he can make a free exchange.

Also you should not have across talk abou the same pm if you then proceed to further use this info in the already open thread. it would be A LOT more helpful to just have all this info in the thread for all of us.

3.Use

where did he say that? I gues this:

This is for me more sounding like "aahhm it is the same socket so I'd be able to switch easily if I wanted..." nothing else or am I getting this completely wrong?

I see what you're saying. If he meant it the way you're thinking than I will feel like a complete fucking idiot. I don't think so though because the word swap means to give one thing for another. So to me it sounds like he is saying he can GIVE his i5 in exchange for the i7.