New M.2 SSD Won't Be Detected in BIOS...

JamesYang
Go to solution Solved by Thx And Bye,

Alright i found your problem.

The m.2 SSD you have won't work in your mainboard, since your mainboard only supports PCIe m.2 SSD's.

m.2 is just the connector not the protocoll used to transfer the data!

The data is transfered via SATA (like "normal" discs) or via PCIe (like all the add-in cards / grafics cards).

Its possible that a mainboard can use both, but there would be a option in the UEFI to change the interface.

And your mainboard only supports m.2 transfer via PCIe. (Look in the manual site 8 -> Storage -> M.2  "(PCIe mode only)")

You need to get a m.2 SSD that uses PCIe and not SATA. And to get the most out of your mainboard you should get a m.2 ssd that supports 32gbit/s transfer speeds.

(And set the m.2 to 4x pcie or auto in the UEFI)

I have some exaples for you that also have 240-256GB:

-> Samsung SSD SM951 256GB, M.2 (MZHPV256HDGL-00000)

-> Kingston HyperX Predator 240GB, M.2 (SHPM2280P2/240G)

-> Plextor M6e 256GB, M.2 (PX-G256M6E)

And yes, they are more expensive but have read/write that are like pretty awesome. With the Samsung drive on the top with 2200MB/s read and 1200MB/s write.

Hi guys,Today,I bought a new Crucial MX200 250G M.2 2280SS SSD.I thought it just plug n play,but apparently not...

My system..

i7 5820K

ASUS X99 Deluxe

Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Blower

Corsair RM 1000W

Anyone got any Ideas?

I adjusted a bunch times based on googled information,but none of them actually works...

Or Could be the M.2 SSD itself?a lemon one?Or My Motherboard M.2 Socket is bad?But I never used it before...

Any help would be grateful,I'm PANIC!..

I've had problems with hard drives before when they wouldn't show in the BIOS, with it installed load up the OS and go into Disk Partitioning. It should show up there then format it to NTFS then it should be fine. If not then you may have a dodgy SSD.

EDIT: The SSD I bought was installed and worked straight away, since your SSD is PCI-e I don't really know what to advise though you could try what I suggested above and see if it helps, if not then I'm out of ideas lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I've had problems with hard drives before when they wouldn't show in the BIOS, with it installed load up the OS and go into Disk Partitioning. It should show up there then format it to NTFS then it should be fine. If not then you may have a dodgy SSD.

Nope...It didn't even show in Disk Partitioning...dodgy SSD...NOOOOOO...Shoulda buy the SATA version...Why would I trouble myself...

Nope...It didn't even show in Disk Partitioning...dodgy SSD...NOOOOOO...Shoulda buy the SATA version...Why would I trouble myself...

To be honest mate I have no idea and since I want to buy an Intel NVMe drive at some point, with this I'm having second thoughts because I've only ever had SATA drives.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

To be honest mate I have no idea and since I want to buy an Intel NVMe drive at some point, with this I'm having second thoughts because I've only ever had SATA drives.

Initially I was going to buy Intel's NVMe drive too...but hold off,buy the M.2 instead...If I ever solve this,I'll probably stay away from PCIe based Storage drive for a long long time...

Initially I was going to buy Intel's NVMe drive too...but hold off,buy the M.2 instead...If I ever solve this,I'll probably stay away from PCIe based Storage drive for a long long time...

Have you followed the instructions and installed any drivers that may need to be installed?

Scroll around BIOS and look if the port might be turned off

also make sure you've got ACHI mode enabled

did the SSD come with a manual or quickstart guide?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

M.2 supports both SATA and PCIe. Make sure to select the right interface in the UEFI for the M.2 slot.

For your dive you have to select SATA, since it uses the SATA 6G interface.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Scroll around BIOS and look if the port might be turned off

also make sure you've got ACHI mode enabled

did the SSD come with a manual or quickstart guide?

Nope,No manual just the SSD with 2 screws and a OEM copy of Acronis Backup softawre,I do enabled AHCI mode,It's by default.

M.2 supports both SATA and PCIe. Make sure to select the right interface in the UEFI for the M.2 slot.

For your dive you have to select SATA, since it uses the SATA 6G interface.

Not sure what you mean,but I do changed the M.2's PCIe Slot to x2 mode,it only has Auto,x2,x4,Disable...Forgot to mention my BIOS version,it's v.1801..

since your SSD is PCI-e I

his ssd is not PCI E its M.2

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Hi guys,Today,I bought a new Crucial MX200 250G M.2 2280SS SSD.I thought it just plug n play,but apparently not...

My system..

i7 5820K

ASUS X99 Deluxe

Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Blower

Corsair RM 1000W

Anyone got any Ideas?

I adjusted a bunch times based on googled information,but none of them actually works...

Or Could be the M.2 SSD itself?a lemon one?Or My Motherboard M.2 Socket is bad?But I never used it before...

Any help would be grateful,I'm PANIC!..

look around boot options there is a setting for primary hdd device

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

look around boot options there is a setting for primary hdd device

But...it didn't even show in BIOS..where can I set as boot device?..It isn't detected by BIOS...

his ssd is not PCI E its M.2

But M.2 uses the PCI-e lanes, certainly doesn't use the SATA interface.

EDIT: Well that is interesting, need to read Wikipedia more often. Scratch what I said, I thought M.2 was PCI-e only.

But...it didn't even show in BIOS..where can I set as boot device?..It isn't detected by BIOS...

you dont understand... some motherboards will only show one of the storagge devices and the others will be hidden. have you tried removing all other HDD's /SSD's

But M.2 uses the PCI-e lanes, certainly doesn't use the SATA interface.

its not a pcie ssd thow. its a m.2, thats why they put m.2 on the packet if it was pcie it would say pcie. 

you dont understand... some motherboards will only show one of the storagge devices and the others will be hidden. have you tried removing all other HDD's /SSD's

Yep,Done that,even removed optical drive..still nothing,just straight boot into BIOS...and still nothing...M.2 just not on any boot drive list...

Anyone with more ideas???...Anyone actually had something similar to my situations and how you solved it?...

Yep,Done that,even removed optical drive..still nothing,just straight boot into BIOS...and still nothing...M.2 just not on any boot drive list...

hmm may be a bad drive 

The m.2 SSD you have won't work in your mainboard, since your mainboard only supports PCIe m.2 SSD's.

The data is transfered via SATA (like "normal" discs) or via PCIe (like all the add-in cards / grafics cards).

Its possible that a mainboard can use both, but there would be a option in the UEFI to change the interface.

And your mainboard only supports m.2 transfer via PCIe. (Look in the manual site 8 -> Storage -> M.2  "(PCIe mode only)")

You need to get a m.2 SSD that uses PCIe and not SATA. And to get the most out of your mainboard you should get a m.2 ssd that supports 32gbit/s transfer speeds.

And yes, they are more expensive but have read/write that are like pretty awesome. With the Samsung drive on the top with 2200MB/s read and 1200MB/s write.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Shit,So the problem was on me...myself without checking compatibility and rush into it...Thanks man...Gonna sell this one,buy the 2.5" SATA version...