Which of these laptops would you recommend?

Colonel Mustard

I'm looking to get a laptop for school, and I'm trying to decide between these laptops. Which would you recommend?

• Acer V5-471-6494-CA Intel Core i3 3227U 4GB 500GB 14in Windows 8 Slim Notebook $450
  • Fujitsu Lifebook UH572 I5-3317U 8GB 32GB CACHE+500GB 13.3in USB 3.0 HDMI Widi Win8 64Bit Ultrabook $550
  • ASUS Vivobook S300 Intel Core I3-3217U 13.3in Touch Screen 4GB 500GB BT4.0 Windows 8 Notebook $500
  • Lenovo IdeaPad S400 Notebook PC - 3rd Gen. Intel Core i3-3227U 1.9GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 14.1" Display $470
  • Acer TravelMate TMP243-M-6456 Notebook PC - 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD $500
  • HP Envy NV4-1117NR Ultrabook C2K79U#ABA 14.0" Intel i5-3317U (1.7 GHz) 4GB 500GB HDD $540  Edit: It's not stated on the retailers website but this laptop should have a 32GB SSD cache.

Second one. But i personally would pick the 3rd one.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Either the Asus Vivobook or the HP Envy one. I had great experience with both Asus and HP, my cousin bought a Fujitsu laptop and wasn't happy with it, it wasn't good

If you care about specs, the second one is technically the best (I'm assuming that the 32GB cache is an SSD?).. I've looked at both the Ideapad and the Vivobook, and they both felt pretty good for the price.

Generally, unless you're trying to get the best gaming-oriented specs for a limited budget, it doesn't really matter a ton. They're probably all going to be pretty similar, so just pick the one that you think will look good for you. Also, it helps to read some reviews to see if any of the models have any major problems that everyone gets annoyed with.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

If you care about specs, the second one is technically the best (I'm assuming that the 32GB cache is an SSD?).. I've looked at both the Ideapad and the Vivobook, and they both felt pretty good for the price.

Generally, unless you're trying to get the best gaming-oriented specs for a limited budget, it doesn't really matter a ton. They're probably all going to be pretty similar, so just pick the one that you think will look good for you. Also, it helps to read some reviews to see if any of the models have any major problems that everyone gets annoyed with.

I'm not intent on gaming. The difficulty I am having in deciding which notebook I should is pick is that seemingly each of these notebooks has a flaw of some sort. For instance, the 2nd one seems quite nice and I would've probably bought it had it not been for the lack of an ethernet port and reviews that stated the 32GB SSD cache was hardly noticeable.

Have you considered getting a Thinkpad? http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/index.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The ASUS Vivobook and the Lenovo Ideapad would be what I recommend. I avoid HP at all costs after buying their DV7 notebook. 

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Vivobook. Quite Satisfied. I should've held off for the S400 though.