SSDs. Performance over Capacity.

thesonyuh

so I really want to buy SSD in the future but i actually just use it as boot drive. To save a little, I'm aiming for a 120GB (or smaller if possible)  capacity only.

Is there such thing as the bigger the size of the SSD you buy the faster its performance is? Considering it's of same brand.

so I really want to buy SSD in the future but i actually just use it as boot drive. To save a little, I'm aiming for a 120GB (or smaller if possible)  capacity only.

Is there such thing as the bigger the size of the SSD you buy the faster its performance is? Considering it's of same brand.

Bigger SSDs generally perform faster than the smaller models

Honestly unless you are on a super budget, I would get a 250gb SSD like an 850 evo, Crucial MX100/BX100, or something similar in terms of specification 

A boot drive is all well and good but honestly your PC will still perform slowly if all of your applications are stored on mechanical drives -you need your program files on there too to get the best performance

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes this is a thing.  If you get a smaller drive, occasionally, it will have fewer chips thus causing it to perform worse.

Although, most drives in todays world don't have this issue to any count because it will still saturate SATA.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Yes. But it's marginal. For 850 Pro for example, there's basically zero difference even on benchmarks once you get past 128gb. That's just benchmarks. In actual use the difference feels nonexistent. Don't worry about it. I'd worry much more about the boot drive size, in case you run out of space. I recommend getting a cheap 256gb SSD.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Bigger SSDs generally perform faster than the smaller models

Honestly unless you are on a super budget, I would get a 250gb SSD like an 850 evo, Crucial MX100/BX100, or something similar in terms of specification 

A boot drive is all well and good but honestly your PC will still perform slowly if all of your applications are stored on mechanical drives -you need your program files on there too to get the best performance

Yes this is a thing.  If you get a smaller drive, occasionally, it will have fewer chips thus causing it to perform worse.

Although, most drives in todays world don't have this issue to any count because it will still saturate SATA.

Thanks guys. :D Really fast replies. Ill just gonna save up to get higher capacity model.

Since we're into it. Im planning on Samsung 850 Evo. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Yes, there are often differences between various capacity drives in the same model range (mostly due to a difference in the number of NAND chips in the drive, which reduces the degree of parallelism in read/writes). Whether the differences are noticeable in everyday use is a different question. 250/256GB seems like the sweet spot at the moment for SSDs, in terms of performance, value for money and capacity. See this AnandTech review of the Samsung 850 EVO series to get an idea of the potential difference in performance between the 120, 250 and 500GB models:

70030.png

Thanks guys. :D Really fast replies. Ill just gonna save up to get higher capacity model.

Since we're into it. Im planning on Samsung 850 Evo. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

On a budget I'd recommend the cheapest of bx100/mx200/850evo. I dont recommend the mx100. They are massively out of date and outperformed by the other two.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Yes, there are often differences between various capacity drives in the same model range (mostly due to a difference in the number of NAND chips in the drive, which reduces the degree of parallelism in read/writes). Whether the differences are noticeable in everyday use is a different question. 250/256GB seems like the sweet spot at the moment for SSDs, in terms of performance, value for money and capacity. See this AnandTech review of the Samsung 850 EVO series to get an idea of the potential difference in performance between the 120, 250 and 500GB models:

70030.png

Tried to see the prices of the 200-line GB here on our country. I wonder why OCZ ARC 100 is cheap for the price? It's cheaper than the 850 EVO but the ARC 100 stomps 850 Evo. O_o

Is a 850 Evo 500GB a good deal for 199€?

Hey thesonyuh,

Getting a SSD is a great idea for every build. They decrease loading and boot times, make the whole system significantly more responsive and increase the transfer speeds. Do have in mind that The Os alone with the updates takes about 35GB of the space and you would be left with the rest for the more demanding applications, games and files. I would recommend to first consider what can really benefit from the SSD's speed and then figure out what capacity would you need, especially since you are on a budget. 

Larger capacity SSDs are generally faster and should give you more space and performance for the demanding applications but are also much more expensive in terms of price per GB.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/