Review of Ubiquity EdgeRouters?

Hey guys!

I recently bought an EdgeRouter Lite from Ubiquity and it so far has been the best router/firewall I have ever used! 1m PPS for 90 bucks!!! I think it would be awesome if LTT were to do a review of the EdgeRouter Pro. 350 bucks, 2M+ pps, 2 SFP ports, 2GB DDR3 RAM. Since Linus now has fiber, the ER Pro would be perfect considering its 2 SFP ports. I'm sure UBNT would even send a free one out for them. I also use 2 ER-LITEs in my datacenter. I get .2 ms pings to google (LAX). Keep in mind, the datacenter is next door to One Wilshire, a huge internet hub, so all the connections are fiber. Biggest response time is the copper line from my EdreRouters to the meet-me-room at the datacenter.

My Speedtest Result At Home:

4587327662.png

Please excuse my bad ping and upload speed, I have COAX.

Sadly, I could not take a speedtest at the datacenter, because the DDOS equiptment thinks speedtest.net is an attack, and they will limit bandwidth to speedtest.

My native language is C++

Ok, so I read through this quickly, so excuse me if I'm wrong. I think you are suggesting they review a router and use it in the new office? If so, they already have their wifi set up :)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Edgerouters are pretty awesome. I give them to clients, and recommend them to people that want to take full advantage of their Google Fiber speeds (the default google router is bad).

EDIT: Also, i believe currently they are using pfsense, which is another excellent option. 

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

It has no wifi, it is simply a rackmount router/firewall with ethernet ports. I am suggesting that they review it and use it, because I think it would help them a lot to have wire-speed routing and even some DDOS Protection.

Eh, Ethernet is more reliable.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

It has no wifi, it is simply a rackmount router/firewall with ethernet ports. I am suggesting that they review it and use it, because I think it would help them a lot to have wire-speed routing and even some DDOS Protection.

Router = wifi

modem and switch = Ethernet ports.

Router = wifi

modem and switch = Ethernet ports.

Not true. A router is a device that routes packets from one network to another. They have nothing to do with wifi.

Wifi access points (APs) are put in consumer routers to make your general consumer happy.

A consumer router is really three devices:

Wifi Access Point

Router

Switch

Many "business-grade" routers will not have more than 2 ports, WAN and LAN. And if they do have more than two ports its for more than 1 LAN network. i.e. WAN, LAN, LAN2.

EDIT: Additionally, a modem is a completely separate and different device that modulates and demodulates signals from another source i.e. demodulates DSL signaling into standard Ethernet protocols. Sometimes in the consumer space all four of these devices will be integrated into a single unit. However, in the business space all of these devices are their own discrete devices.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Not true. A router is a device that routes packets from one network to another. They have nothing to do with wifi.

Wifi access points (APs) are put in consumer routers to make your general consumer happy.

A consumer router is really three devices:

Wifi Access Point

Router

Switch

Many "business-grade" routers will not have more than 2 ports, WAN and LAN. And if they do have more than two ports its for more than 1 LAN network. i.e. WAN, LAN, LAN2.

touche

Hahaha. Actually, I'm seriously unsure. He has thousands of posts. But it looks serious.

Hahaha. Actually, I'm seriously unsure. He has thousands of posts. But it looks serious.

I hope not :D

But posting something like that in a post where OP is definitely not a networking noob, it must be a troll-post :D

Back to the topic - why would you like to see a review of the ER-pro? It is basically the same as the others in regards to functionality, except it has SFP ports, more ethernet ports and can handle more traffic :)

I think that there is a fair audience that wants to see more networking videos.

I think that there is a fair audience that wants to see more networking videos.

Im sure you are right :)

A how-to-network series from the beginning with making ethernet cables, incremental router upgrades, switches, accesspoints and such :)

It has been done before, but not many of them have a high production value or LMG-humor :D

Ya, the only thing is that I dont think anyone at LMG actually know a lot about networking.  If you saw their moving vlog, Linus didn't seem know what sfp or how fiber cable works.

problem with reviewing a router without wireless is...who is it for?

consumers want wireless

and business who don't want wireless..have highend cisco networking equipment

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

As said above, I don't think anyone knows much about networking. Besides, from what i can see LMG uses a Cisco 3845 router which is over $1000 and is likely better than the Edgerouter not to mention the reliability of Cisco and just the fact that it is Cisco, yes companys buy routers just because they are Cisco. PS: I also really like the edgerouter pro and may want to get one.

I would like to know more about the Ubiquiti edge router series, especially a comparison to Mikrotik routers. I haven't seen anyone compare them yet, but they seem to serve a similar need (I am not talking about the Mikrotik wireless hardware, in case anyone looks them up)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I want to see it

and they already did few, including Powerline

however I still don't see their review is valid yet

because what actually I want to know is the capability handling more than 20+ clients

it's been addressed since WRT era, and even using DDWRT or Tomato (or any 3rd party firmware) it still had limitation over number of connection

often it just not responding if X amount of user is connected (wireless mostly)

the recent example is their review with that $1000 router wifi, when it compared with the highest grade of AC cisco router, it still perform rock steady (as in for throughput numbers)

but they only test it with less than 20 devices, my router (MR3420) had this problem, yes I know, it's cheap home grade router, but it still annoy me alot

last time I tried to connect 15devices connection drops to all devices

when I tried to ping the router it doesn't even connect as in the router jammed

my old wrt54gl still could handle it, however due to low bandwith (54mbps) it just doesn't cut it anymore.

so far that's the only thing I could test on my end due to number of devices that I have.

I really want to see something that could handle at least 50 devices connected at the same time without hiccup, slowdown is acceptable

if you really have no Idea what I'm talking about, just take a look of this old presentation

this is the most common problems with wireless router even today, people just bash apple out of context because they seems didn't understand there's a limitation with number of connection.

I think that any good network admin knows that cisco routers are SHIT. The EdgeRouter has been proven to preform better than most of the top Cisco asa routers etc.

I think that any good network admin knows that cisco routers are SHIT. The EdgeRouter has been proven to preform better than most of the top Cisco asa routers etc.

*standing clap*

The only thing Cisco is decent at today is switches (just by sheer numbers of enterprise switches that perform great even after 10 years in deployment, I would argue that Cisco is great at switching packages)

- Juniper is leaps ahead in almost every aspect of routing, VPNs, licenses and overall features :)

I put an edgerouter lite in a my datacenter rack handling a 1gbps  line. It never peaks 50% cpu on average.

Edgerouters are pretty awesome. I give them to clients, and recommend them to people that want to take full advantage of their Google Fiber speeds (the default google router is bad).

EDIT: Also, i believe currently they are using pfsense, which is another excellent option.

They actually dont use pfsense because it doesn't support their sfp card. Thwy had to go with whatever the isp gave them. Which is why they should switch to something that doesn't perform like a pile of shit.

I put an edgerouter lite in a my datacenter rack handling a 1gbps  line. It never peaks 50% cpu on average.

Yeah, i have google fiber and an edgerouter lite can easily handle the full gig of throughput.

under 100$ for a router that can handle a full gig of throughput with firewall rules and etc going is unheard of in the business world.