980Ti hits power limit

arielfall

I've been trying to overclock my 980ti AMP! Extreme from Zotac. Out of the gate it's about 1404 Mhz boost and 7220 Mem.

I've gotten up to 1490 and 7880 without any voltage increase but I'm stuck really down at about 1430 once it hits the power limit. Actually overclocking higher slows it down frequency wise. So what do I do to get around it? I've set the power limit in Afterburner to 111% but that's all folks.

What to do?

Much like the Titan X. If you want to override it then I suggest flashing a custom BIOS on it. My Titan X's power target limit is now 121%

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Like megadave said flashing the cards bios is the only way to increase the power limit beyond what comes set by the manufacturer.. (mine is able to go to 150% now with previous limit of 30%) 

CPU i7 4770k (4.5ghz OC) | CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-x | GPU 980ti G1 Gaming (1562 mhz) | Mobo EVGA z87 Stinger | RAM 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1866mhz | PSU EVGA 850w B-2 | Storage Seagate 2tb hdd 7200rpm(main storage) & Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (boot drive) | Case Corsair 250D

flash bios with 1.28v locked voltage, custom tables n increased power limit. 

btw can you guys help explain to me what all the different power limits are in maxwell bios tweeker?

I was able to get my 750 ti to 65W but there are like 4 times as many tables on the 980. 

You don't have to increase the voltage but obviously your overclock won't be as high. 

1.28 is about the sweet spot for maxwell cards. 

Hhmm.. Interesting, my 780 power limit is stucked at 105% (yeaa.. I know, it's suck)

How to flash a custom BIOS? maybe i can try it on my card

Thank u so much sir.

Regards

1400mhz is still a decent overclock, any more you get isn't going to be a drastic difference.

I get about 1560Mhz on mine cooled with an evga hybrid. mines at default voltage levels. if i add any more voltage mine becomes unstable.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb