Help a homie choose a camera?

BTW, I'm not from the US, is homie a good word? or bad? in some movies when someone call somebody a "homie", they get offensive but according to dictionary, it's "an acquaintance from one's town or neighbourhood, or a member of one's peer group or gang."

Anyway, so I just recently started to learn photoshop for a hobby, and since it has something to do with photos, I figured I might as well learn photography, right?

Now, since I'm just starting to learn, you should already know I'm not a pro when it comes to these photography stuffs. In fact, I haven't took any "real" photos before in camera, just in phones, sooooo ye~~~ah...

Here's what I'm kinda looking for:

-Long battery life

-Can take RAW image (also can take great photos oviously)

-(Optional) Can take a descent HD video

-Can take good low light image

So far, I have 2 cameras in mind...

-Canon EOS M3

-Nikon 1 J5

I also kinda like the Nikon D3300 but it's kinda bulky and big. But if many of you prefer that over the other 2, I might go with D3300 instead (coz it's also in the same price range).

BTW price range sweet spot is up-to $700 or ‎¥70,000 (I lived in Japan)

"Homies help homies" - Jake

Edited by EnVy_28

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

Get the RX100

Get the RX100

I have also seen a lot of good reviews of that... Let's add that to the choices.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

I have also seen a lot of good reviews of that... Let's add that to the choices.

It's really good in low-light situations as well because of the f/1.8 lens.

It's really good in low-light situations as well because of the f/1.8 lens.

Oh yeah, so I looked for it on amazon and now I remebered why I did'nt include it in the list, there is also an "RX100 III" which is better than "RX100" according to most reviews so I want the "III" but it's kinda out of my price range. LOL.

I personally have the Nikon D5300 and I love it. Shoots decent low light shots and great video quality (full HD at 60 FPS). Also is in about that price range for the body.

I personally have the Nikon D5300 and I love it. Shoots decent low light shots and great video quality (full HD at 60 FPS). Also is in about that price range for the body.

I also took a look at these babies, unfortunately it's out of the price range here in Japan, Don't really know why but it's over ¥75,000 here in Japan.

I'd say the Canon M3 is actually a pretty good choice. That's for two reasons:

1. Size: You already said that the D3300 (I guess you meant Nikon as there is no Canon D3300) is actually too bulky for you, but you'll quickly see that a better lens might be worth the upgrade, but better in this case always means bigger and heavier, so I guess you won't be happy with a DSLR
  2. Video: Canon offers the best capabilities when it comes to video shooting with their STM lenses. STM are small, relatively cheap and have a great autofocus for videos, so if shooting videos is important to you and you're not just going to shoot a 2 min. video every 3 months you might consider Canon with their STM lenses. They're worth it. (And I'm a Nikon user)

All cameras in that price range offer pretty similar and decent image quality, so I wouldn't worry too much about that

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons. 

I'd say the Canon M3 is actually a pretty good choice. That's for two reasons:

1. Size: You already said that the D3300 (I guess you meant Nikon as there is no Canon D3300) is actually too bulky for you, but you'll quickly see that a better lens might be worth the upgrade, but better in this case always means bigger and heavier, so I guess you won't be happy with a DSLR
  2. Video: Canon offers the best capabilities when it comes to video shooting with their STM lenses. STM are small, relatively cheap and have a great autofocus for videos, so if shooting videos is important to you and you're not just going to shoot a 2 min. video every 3 months you might consider Canon with their STM lenses. They're worth it. (And I'm a Nikon user)

All cameras in that price range offer pretty similar and decent image quality, so I wouldn't worry too much about that

Yeah, you are right, it's Nikon.

And yes, you are also right about me not going to be happy with a DSLR, I can see that already in my head. I don't like to carry heavy things in my bag, I dont even wanna carry a bag. The only reason I consider D3300 is that it has lot of good reviews for a newbie photographer and it has a good price range.

+1 to Canon M3

• Comparing the Nikon 1 to the Canon M3, the first difference is that Nikon 1's used a smaller sensor than APS-C.  The M3 has an APS-C sensor.

Both are mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.

At this level, video quality would be about the same, the difference will be which camera lets you have more control over the video recording setup and which records in a better format for editing.

Price wise the Nikon is slightly cheaper.

Both have the capability to capture RAW.

Battery life for photo cameras are measured in how many photos can be taken on average with a single battery.  In this case both cameras are rated for the same CIPA. Anytime you buy a camera, always get spare memory cards and batteries.

How they perform in low light will depend on several factors, including the type of lenses being used.  I've only ever bought a kit lens twice, when I transitioned into digital photography with the D90 and when I bought my Fuji X-E2 for casual use.  Apart from that I don't use kit lenses at all.

And the biggest rule for any photographer is if there isn't enough light add more.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Get the RX100

Oh yeah, so I looked for it on amazon and now I remebered why I did'nt include it in the list, there is also an "RX100 III" which is better than "RX100" according to most reviews so I want the "III" but it's kinda out of my price range. LOL.

At the price level of a Sony RX100 IV (latest iteration of the series) the Fuji X-E2 performs much better.

Another camera option would be the Fuji X-M1

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

• Comparing the Nikon 1 to the Canon M3, the first difference is that Nikon 1's used a smaller sensor than APS-C.  The M3 has an APS-C sensor.
  • Both are mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.
  • At this level, video quality would be about the same, the difference will be which camera lets you have more control over the video recording setup and which records in a better format for editing.
  • Price wise the Nikon is slightly cheaper.
  • Both have the capability to capture RAW.
  • Battery life for photo cameras are measured in how many photos can be taken on average with a single battery.  In this case both cameras are rated for the same CIPA. Anytime you buy a camera, always get spare memory cards and batteries.
  • How they perform in low light will depend on several factors, including the type of lenses being used.  I've only ever bought a kit lens twice, when I transitioned into digital photography with the D90 and when I bought my Fuji X-E2 for casual use.  Apart from that I don't use kit lenses at all.
  • And the biggest rule for any photographer is if there isn't enough light add more.

If I'm going to buy either, I think I'm going to stick with the standard lens for a while (coz newbie).

18-55mm on CanonM3

10-30mm on Nikon1

If I'm going to buy either, I think I'm going to stick with the standard lens for a while (coz newbie).

18-55mm on CanonM3

10-30mm on Nikon1

At the crop factor of their individual camera sensors both lenses are 27-82mm zooms at 35mm equivalent.

However while both lenses are f/3.5-5.6 variable aperture lenses, and theoretically should have the same low light performance due to their aperture values being the same, a larger lens always wins out because the physical diameter of the aperture opening at f/3.5 will be different.

For example, a f/1.8 aperture on a compact camera like the Canon S120 will be much smaller than f/5.6 on a full frame DSLR lens.

At the price level of a Sony RX100 IV (latest iteration of the series) the Fuji X-E2 performs much better.

Another camera option would be the Fuji X-M1

He has no money for a $1200 camera... read the OP.

He has no money for a $1200 camera... read the OP.

The X-M1 is less than the M3.

This is it guys! moment of truth...

I decided with M3 and D5300... I tried the D5300 and I guess I can comprimise the bulkiness...

The X-M1 is less than the M3.

Its not, at least here in japan

Ok guys. As long as it has the same size as the Nikon D3300 and has the same price range.... I think I can go with DSLR....

Just bought me-self a Nikon D3300... coz DERP.... hewhewhew