HDD not recognised in windows!?

aidenp

I recently put together my first pc and have an SSD and HDD connected. Both drives are in raid 1, and they can both be recognised in the BIOS menu. I've got windows 10 installed on the SSD, but I can't find the HDD in windows anywhere.....

HDD is a seagate barracuda 1gb hdd

Any help would be appreciated!!!! 

I can't even find the drive on disk manager

I can't even find the drive on disk manager

screenshot please?

Because he had a hard drive.

I recently put together my first pc and have an SSD and HDD connected. Both drives are in raid 1, and they can both be recognised in the BIOS menu. I've got windows 10 installed on the SSD, but I can't find the HDD in windows anywhere.....

HDD is a seagate barracuda 1gb hdd

Any help would be appreciated!!!! 

Just so I'm understanding, when you say both drives are in RAID 1, you mean the SSD and the HDD are in RAID 1 together? or do you have two SSDs and Two HDDs in their own RAID 1 arrays?

They are in raid 1 together. I used the EZ tuner on my asus motherboard and it created them in 1 volume together

They are in raid 1 together. I used the EZ tuner on my asus motherboard and it created them in 1 volume together

I don't understand why you did that. You should delete the RAID volume and reinstall Windows on the SSD alone.

Well, if they're in RAID together, then yes, you would only have one drive on Windows.

However, it is a very bad idea to RAID an SSD with a HDD. The speed of the SSD would drop a lot. If you meant to have the HDD back up the SSD, RAID is not the way to do it.

Okay so im better off having neither of the drives in raid? 

Okay so im better off having neither of the drives in raid?

Correct. If you really want to RAID 1 your Windows installation you should buy a matching SSD for your first one and create a RAID 1 across them. However, that probably isn't really worth doing. Just make sure you backup your important data (preferably to an external hard drive, which isn't always connected/powered on).

Correct. If you really want to RAID 1 your Windows installation you should buy a matching SSD for your first one and create a RAID 1 across them. However, that probably isn't really worth doing. Just make sure you backup your important data (preferably to an external hard drive, which isn't always connected/powered on).

Thanks, appreciate it!

also, is it possible to remove the raid array without wiping any data?