Prime95 Small FFT test 99C! 4790k and h80i

Hi, so when runnign prime 95 blend test I get about 75-78C pretty good, or so I thought. Then I did the small fft test and i got like 99-100C! HOLY BALLS! I am running an h80i

uh re aply thermal compound?
Check if fans are running?

check if pump is running?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

uh re aply thermal compound?

Check if fans are running?

check if pump is running?

Fans and pump are running. I have reseated the thing about a billion times

I heard Prime95 ups the voltage deliberately, which would cause your increase in heat. Perhaps try another stress test like Intel XTU?

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Try it with Prime 95 version 26.6.  Newer versions use the AVX2 instruction set which applies an inordinate amount of heat to newer Intel CPUs.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Fans and pump are running. I have reseated the thing about a billion times

see what temps are with stock cooler

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Are you on adaptive voltage?

Yes, but it only goes up to 1.14 volts...

Try it with Prime 95 version 26.6.  Newer versions use the AVX2 instruction set which applies an inordinate amount of heat to newer Intel CPUs.

Ill give that a try

Yes, but it only goes up to 1.14 volts...

Is that what you set, or verified via CPU-Z?

with prime95 v26.6 I get around 84-85C with small fft, and still like 74C with the blended test

Hi, so when runnign prime 95 blend test I get about 75-78C pretty good, or so I thought. Then I did the small fft test and i got like 99-100C! HOLY BALLS! I am running an h80i

Try using Adia 64 Prime 95 tends to over do it with their method of stress testing and increases voltages. If it's still pretty high you might need to remount the block.

with prime95 v26.6 I get around 84-85C with small fft, and still like 74C with the blended test

That sounds reasonable and I was getting similar results back when I had an H80i on my 4790k.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Try using Adia 64 Prime 95 tends to over do it with their method of stress testing and increases voltages. If it's still pretty high you might need to remount the block.

With aida 64 with FPU and CPU on i get  about 85-89C and with FPU,CPU, and System Memory I get a range of 72C-82C

That sounds reasonable and I was getting similar results back when I had an H80i on my 4790k.

Ok just wanted to make sure my pc isn't gonna fry xD

With aida 64 with FPU and CPU on i get  about 85-89C and with FPU,CPU, and System Memory I get a range of 72C-82C

That's still a tad warm, is it overclocked at all?

The H80i similar to the H100i can have a lack of mounting pressure which others have used rubber washers to get reasonable temps:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113707&page=2&langid=3

That's still a tad warm, is it overclocked at all?

The H80i similar to the H100i can have a lack of mounting pressure which others have used rubber washers to get reasonable temps:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113707&page=2&langid=3

No OC, I actually backed off the turbo at 4 cores to 4.2ghz, I actually tried rubber washers and it didn't really yield much of a difference

Is that what you set, or verified via CPU-Z?

Thats in CPU z at full load

No OC, I actually backed off the turbo at 4 cores to 4.2ghz, I actually tried rubber washers and it didn't really yield much of a difference

Hmm what about with everything at stock it seems it might be a hot running chip which is possible.

Ok just wanted to make sure my pc isn't gonna fry xD

You should be alright because even without the use of that brutal instruction set, Prime 95 Small FFTs is still hotter than anything you'll ever see in real-world applications.  The Blend test is far more realistic as a stress test.

Hmm what about with everything at stock it seems it might be a hot running chip which is possible.

Well I was also experiencing another problem, that in my bios my ram was set to 1333mhz, so i put it on xmp 1 and set it to 2400mhz, since thats the stock speed of my ram, but back in windows, I ran p95 blended test and my temps were higher by about 10c..

You should be alright because even without the use of that brutal instruction set, Prime 95 Small FFTs is still hotter than anything you'll ever see in real-world applications.  The Blend test is far more realistic as a stress test.

Ok cool, do you have any thoughts on this post above^? Right now my ram is running at 1600mhz

I've never personally seen RAM speed effect CPU temperatures but it is completely possible you have a chip that just runs hot. The Devil's Canyon chips really weren't as good as Intel hyped them up to be and it's fairly common for the "improved" TIM to be hit or miss. 

I've never personally seen RAM speed effect CPU temperatures but it is completely possible you have a chip that just runs hot. The Devil's Canyon chips really weren't as good as Intel hyped them up to be and it's fairly common for the "improved" TIM to be hit or miss. 

yeah, guess I just got a heater :/

Well I was also experiencing another problem, that in my bios my ram was set to 1333mhz, so i put it on xmp 1 and set it to 2400mhz, since thats the stock speed of my ram, but back in windows, I ran p95 blended test and my temps were higher by about 10c..

That's strange I've heard of RAM running hotter if you go to higher clock speeds but never affecting the CPU temps. Maybe the stress test affects it in a way it normally wouldn't I'm at a loss for that there.