Is it ok to not change the thermal compound on stock cooler?

Pooherino ツ

So I keep switching components. I swap my cpu from mobo to mobo and Im just too lazy to change the thermal compound on the stock cooler. I would eventually get a all in one water to overclock but im using stock cooler for now. I never really thought about the stock cooler until now I got a mobo that shows the temps on the actual pcb. It shows 45-50 Celcius at idle, idk if that is safe. I have not install a game yet so idk what it would be like on load. Btw im using the i5 4690k if thats important

It isn't recommended but it should be fine. But you should just buy a third party cooler those are way better and aren't that expensive. Are you planning on overclocking?

Technology Entertainment Creativity

Technology Electricity Control

Technology Electronics Computers

45-50 degrees Celsius can't hurt your hardware.

I always change the stock thermal paste with new thermal paste. It gives me 10 degrees Celsius lower temperature.

thermal paste is cheap go for it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

change the thermal paste. my stock cooler is 26 C at idle. yours are nearly double.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

change the thermal paste. my stock cooler is 26 C at idle. yours are nearly double.

What thermal paste to you use?

What thermal paste to you use?

stock

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

It isn't recommended but it should be fine. But you should just buy a third party cooler those are way better and aren't that expensive. Are you planning on overclocking?

yeah im planning to get a h100i gtx or nepton 240m. But for now im using this as a temporary alternative

So I keep switching components. I swap my cpu from mobo to mobo and Im just too lazy to change the thermal compound on the stock cooler.

its not really advisable to reuse thermal paste if that is what you are asking.  it should be reapplied everytime the cooler gets removed, especially if it is getting dry.  It'll probably still work but temps will be higher.   its pretty cheap stuff

edit: i've done it before with cheap cpu's when I was starting out and I noticed a temp difference but things worked.  I dont recommend it

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I've heard and read from reputable sources (Linus, Anandtech, Techpowerup etc) that the stock thermal paste on Intel and AMD as well as on the custom coolers like TF4 and PCS+ are really high quality thermal paste and that if you do change the thermal paste, you may even get worse temperatures because the thermal paste you put won't be as good. 

I've heard and read from reputable sources (Linus, Anandtech, Techpowerup etc) that the stock thermal paste on Intel and AMD as well as on the custom coolers like TF4 and PCS+ are really high quality thermal paste and that if you do change the thermal paste, you may even get worse temperatures because the thermal paste you put won't be as good. 

It isn't a question of if its good for use once. He has taken the cooler off numerous times with the same paste and hasn't replaced it. While the cpu will probably be ok, that is definitely NOT recommended.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Its best to clean the used compound off the cpu and cpu cooler every time you remove the cpu cooler. Its easy to do and thermal compound is cheap ($5-$10) and those tubs last a longtime. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

It isn't a question of if its good for use once. He has taken the cooler off numerous times with the same paste and hasn't replaced it. While the cpu will probably be ok, that is definitely NOT recommended.

That's true lol. I need to learn2read.