whats the ssd type?

Agent181

Whats the ssd type that has the slow down issue and the different types of ssd... tlc, mlc...etc?? im getting 9 ssds soon for work and im going to school in a week so im not going to be there if anything happens... dont want a slow down for the servers they are going into.

Get MLC for endurance

better yet, pick up some Intel 530 - they are legendary

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

pretty much all consumer ssd's will get murdered by servers so it doesn't matter.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

pretty much all consumer ssd's will get murdered by servers so it doesn't matter.

agreed, ssds lifespans drop when hammered.

mine dropped 2% lifespan within a month from moving stuff etc, since then its only gone down another 1% and thats within like 6 months.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

agreed, ssds lifespans drop when hammered.

mine dropped 2% lifespan within a month from moving stuff etc, since then its only gone down another 1% and thats within like 6 months.

they wont be used that much at all just storing data... they will be mostly idle for a long time but they want speed so its perfect for them... the most heavy usage will be the backups from the ssds and thats not that much

Get MLC for endurance

better yet, pick up some Intel 530 - they are legendary

is that the sme flash type that the 840 evos had??

is that the sme flash type that the 840 evos had??

840 EVO had some fraked up TLC, if you pardon the expression.

A lot of "budget" SSDs use TLC flash and for the most part it is fine, Samsungs specific implementation on 840 EVO was bad and it was the only known model to experience data loss problems.

MLC uses two bits per cell

TLC uses three bits (or more) per cell

the more write to the cell the faster the cell wears out and "dies", since TLC has more bits per cell then you will inherently write more often to the same cell thus wearing it out sooner compared to MLC in the same environment. And that makes MLC more expensive as you have to have more physical cells for the same capacity of the drive

If you are considering an SSD based server then look for MLC flash only and honestly you shouldn't be looking any further than Intel 530

Also should be noted that frequent reads do not harm the flash, however writes do.

For hard drives both reads and writes harm the same way

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

840 EVO had some fraked up TLC, if you pardon the expression.

A lot of "budget" SSDs use TLC flash and for the most part it is fine, Samsungs specific implementation on 840 EVO was bad and it was the only known model to experience data loss problems.

If you are considering an SSD based server then look for MLC flash only and honestly you shouldn't be looking any further than Intel 530

ahhh I see and for just simple use with not that much use what ssd should I tell them to use... there are 4 pcs that are slow as hell and well take 4 mins to boot... it use to be 8 when they had xp on it but I made sure everything is at least windows 8....

ahhh I see and for just simple use with not that much use what ssd should I tell them to use... there are 4 pcs that are slow as hell and well take 4 mins to boot... it use to be 8 when they had xp on it but I made sure everything is at least windows 8....

For the third time I recomend Intel 530 SSD (:

And why the hell people measure computer performance by boot times? You only have to boot once...

For the third time I recomend Intel 530 SSD (:

And why the hell people measure computer performance by boot times? You only have to boot once...

ok ok I get you getting 9 530's for the server or maybe 27 ssds... they are opening up a new office to add to the 3 existing...

For the normal pcs I dont want to buy them ssds they wont use at all I will be getting a 730 ssd for sure for the graphic design pc but for the rest they dont need something that is too expensive all they care about is fast boot and speed so thats why im asking about it....

I know there is a lot more than just boot times but for them thats all they think about it

ok ok I get you getting 9 530's for the server or maybe 27 ssds... they are opening up a new office to add to the 3 existing...

For the normal pcs I dont want to buy them ssds they wont use at all I will be getting a 730 ssd for sure for the graphic design pc but for the rest they dont need something that is too expensive all they care about is fast boot and speed so thats why im asking about it....

I know there is a lot more than just boot times but for them thats all they think about it

Make them put the computer to sleep instead of shutting down or do hibernate.

Make them put the computer to sleep instead of shutting down or do hibernate.

I tried telling them already but the head IT guy there goes around and turns off every pc... he almost killed a server that way but im not in charge

I tried telling them already but the head IT guy there goes around and turns off every pc... he almost killed a server that way but im not in charge

seems like a fun place to be around

seems like a fun place to be around

its alright, im just an intern doing data entry.... -___-

Enterprise SSD uses SLC because they're the best out of all the type of nand memory, but they are also the most expensive.  For the work place, grab some Intel SSDs, like others had mentioned a 530.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

kingston v300?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Gtfo no

Oh I though you were asking what the bad ssd was lol

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."